Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (cptsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-14-2009, 11:52 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with these stereos to include the wired remotes?

Thanks.

Jason
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
I have one and swear by it! I also sell them here in the UK. IN comparison to everything else they have so many benefits... the iPod interface is incredible (plus the fact that it keeps it safe and dry) - the ability to independently control in boat sound levels and tower levels independently is a massive bonus too...
Old     (cptsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-15-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
Brit,

Have you sold or seen any of the wired remotes installed in place of the kenwood commander on a late model (2008) Supra. The only thing holding me back is not knowing whether or not the round face will fit in the space, and whether or not there is any obstructions behind the dash panel that will obstruct me cutting out the 75mm required hole.

Thanks for your input.
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Hey Brit,

So is it true that I can control my tower speakers, in boat speakers, and sub without a eq like the WS 420 . If so can you explain how that works. Are all these controls built into th unit? Thanks for the help. Also Jason where are you finding theses for sale
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
Cptsupra - The unit is about 2.5" deep so you may have to grab a tape measure and have a look. Its almost exactly the same total diameter as the pop in cup holders in the boat, so if you slide one of them out and just offer it up on the dash to see if there's a big enough space you should be able to work it out. The remote has a rubber gasket so the mounting area doesn't have to be totally flat but the flatter the better in my experience.

Jasonba1 - Yes, that is correct. you can set up to 4 'zones' each is independently controlled. Basically, if you spin the volume knob everything goes up or down in vol, but if you click it then you are presented with the zones... you can then click between them to adjust individual volumes.

What I'd do is disable 2 of the zones, run 1 zone for in boat (including sub), and 1 zone for the tower - that would mean everything was kept simple... you can always hit the bass up on it if you want the sub to thud a bit more as the HU has a high/low cross over to block the low signals hitting the mids.

It really is a great HU in my opinion - stacks of adjustments etc to mess with and nice solid build quality.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-15-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Somebody want to post a model number and/or picture so the simple-minded people trying to follow this thread know what the heck you are talking about??? Thanks
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Thanks so much Brit, One last question how much bigger is this unit than just a normal pioneer unit? How many RCA inputs. Thanks again been a huge help now I cant wait to get one
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Here you go cal

http://fusioncaraudio.com/north-and-south-america/marine-audio-2/stereounits-15/product-category.aspx
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Jason - the front is slightly bigger, but the body of the stereo is exactly the same size as your pioneer unit.

Can't recall exactly how many inputs but there is an Aux in (which could be split) plus the iPod, and you can add a further Fusion iPod cradle should you require it...

Cal - Sure, sorry man. Its the ip-500 unit that we are discussing and can be viewed here:
http://fusioncaraudio.com/north-and-south-america/marine-audio-2/stereo-units-15/msip500-56-product.aspx

Pics (HU and remote):
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (cptsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-15-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
There are two head units in two colors to suit your taste. The two types are the one IP shown above that accepts the ipod into the receiver. The CD version accepts cds with wma, and mp3 as well as an Ipod dongle that still allows you the same ipod control suite as the IP model, just plugged in and stowing your ipod elsewhere. The whole breakdown with different models, colors, remote y connectors, remote cables and remote finish options are available at rocktheboat.

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/51377.html

I haven't tried pricing elsewhere yet, but I definately will start comparing prices in the near near future. God knows the ipod controls on the Kenwood equipment makes it almost impossible to select a song you want to hear.
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Thanks Brit
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Hey jason,

So far the cheapest I have seen it for is 349 at west marine if you find it cheaper let me know.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-15-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Is it as easy and as fast as the ipod. Or is there a delay in getting the info to the remote. I know on my brothers boat he can plug in the ipod but its so slow and cumbersome to get the ipod info to the deck display. I just had mine installed so I have a cable then use the ipod to control everything because its way easier.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Rich - I've never noticed any lag... seems pretty instant to me. The rotary volume knob is used like the click wheel so its pretty much as intuitive as using the iPod.

One thing that's worth mentioning is this though - The remotes can't control the zones independantly, only total vol up or down.

Thus, when you are going wakeboarding, you will want to knock the 'tower zone' on via the head unit and when not, knock it off via the HU. otherwise everything else can be done from the remote.
Old     (cptsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-15-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Rich,

I believe the design of this system addressed exactly what you are talking about. That lag and cumbersome control is my frustration with my current setup too, but with a new system I still want to be able to control it from in the water when we are partying. I am hoping this system can solve that.

Jason, will do.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
You can add upto 4 remotes around the boat so controlling from the water, the helm, the bow, the rear seating area etc is all pretty possible.

You can also set each remote to a zone if you want. So say you wanted to put one on the transom for controlling only the tower speakers - for beach parties/the rider about to jump in etc...
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-15-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Looks pretty sweet, but can't you do this with any EQ unit? use EQ to control whatever's going to the amp, then just use the main vol knob as a master? I can't afford that...
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
WakeMikey - Kind of. The EQ would allow slightly more adjustment, but you'd need ot buy 2 units and a load of RCA cables etc. The beauty of the Fusion unit is that everythings all in one box.

IN honesty, the real stereo gurus on here may find that an EQ and separate HU would work better for them due to extended adjustability etc (Such as a Wetsounds EQ and a high end Head unit), but for most of us, the Fusion take the hassle out of the differing zones required and brings a big stereo under simple control.