Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 5:33 AM Reply   
From Chad Sharpe's blog. The question is can anyone tell what the hell it is?? I'm thinking a hs bs o/a 360 to ole bs 3?
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 5:34 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 5:35 AM Reply   

Upload
Upload

will someone make this into a sequence so we can see it as one image?
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
Looking at it without the approach it just looks like a wrapped moby dick. Which isn't a new trick.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
There was a thread a while back on it. He talks about it;

http://shanebonifay.com/welcome.html
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
Nick, it's definitely not a wrapped moby dick lol. It is some sort of 720.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Thanks A-Dub, that video of it was sick!! Heelside wrapped bs oa 7 with the second 3 ole. I love how the second 3 looks in the video. So smooth. "We have been calling it a bullfighter or moca latte" LOL!! I kind of like the name bullfighter for it. Good to see that some new tricks are going down. I was wondering what else was left to do on a wakeboard. Wrapped tricks seems like a key into doing some new progressive stuff, almost doing more snowboard influenced tricks with new grabs that allow you to go different styles of off axis.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
It depends on how you want to look at it. Any mobe is 720 degrees of rotation. The last picture of your first post is inverted, and the way he is grabbing the board in the 1st picture of the second post looks exactly like a moby dick.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
Watching the video makes it look a little different. But it still looks similar to a moby dick.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-01-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
Isn't a mobius an invert with a handle-pass rotation?I think it only needs to be a 360 or greater.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
Yes broken down it's a 360 degree invert with a 360 spin so it's 720 degrees of total rotation. I've seen people do crow mobes that really just look like off axis 720s.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
A mobe doesn't have to have a handle pass. Whirly, wrapped KGB, you can do crow mobes and Pete's without passing.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
A mobe has to have a handle pass 3 or greater. A whirly is not a mobe and a wrapped KGB is not a mobe. Anyways, that trick looks insane.

(Message edited by eyekahn on June 01, 2009)

Old    usfhookup            06-01-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
Nick you are right... its a wrapped moby dick
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-01-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
You know, I know exactly what this is. SUPER HARD! Who the hell are we to judge that its, gnarly, its never been done before. Props to Shane.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Haha Andy, you're right on the money!! But I can tell you what it is not and that is it is NOT a wrapped moby dick. And a whirly and a wrapped KGB are NOT mobes, and landing a trick blind is still a handle pass 360 where you did not choose to grab the handle. Sorry Steve, back to noob school for you.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Can someone point me to where it says a mobe has to be a handle pass trick? I'm actually curious, not trying to be smart.
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-01-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
it looks like that trick shapiro used to do off the double up called the "iron cross" which is a wrapped moby dick but shane grabs it which looks sick and dif than the original iron cross. shapiro does it in that video where he stuck the first toe 9 too. i think its called switch maybe? lfxstar, what if shane passed the first handle pass instead of wrapped, dont you think it would look like a moby dick?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-01-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
To me it just looks like an out the back moby dick, yeah it makes the trick look different but the principles are pretty much the same. Looks cool though for sure!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-01-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
You mean a mobe dick 7 ? The mobe dick was competed in the 3rd shot of the sequence.

Sorry but mobes CAN occur without a handle pass. The best Petes and Crow MOBES are done without a pass.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-01-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
I agree with J-Rod, Is it not a 7 if I land Blind.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
You are still doing a handle passed trick when you choose to land blind. Eventually you are going to grab the handle and complete the handle pass. Yes you can tic toc it, but it is still a non wrapped trick. I have never seen anyone tic toc a pete btw so unless they are riding the rest of their set wrapped up, they are eventually going to pass the handle. If you want to claim your whirly and wrapped kgb as a mobe because it makes you feel good, go for it, but by definition, they are not mobes.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
and on the first 3, shane never gets inverted. that is how his hs blind off axis spins look. he doesn't get "inverted" until the second three which is why i was saying this is like a snowboard trick. it is very similar to the double corked spins they are doing now, which are awesome.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
its like a backside rodeo seven. harf is doing them as well..
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
Kyle know's whats up. Landing wrapped is preference. Someone please find these people the definition of a mobe. You can basically land any mobe wrapped if you wanted. If you go inverted and do a HANDLE PASS 360( wrapped landing, cuffed, or straight passing the handle when you land)it is a MOBE. Here is an example
Whirly - Not a mobe or handle pass invert. No handle pass.
Whirly 5 - Not a mobe, Is a handle pass invert because of the last 180 that requires you to pass the handle somewhere during or after the landing.
Whirly Dick - Mobe because of the last handle pass 360.
Anyways, this trick is gnarly looking. Id like to see a video.

Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
Anyone that thinks a wrapped kgb is a mobe or that pete roses and crow mobes look better when the rider lands wrapped needs to get punched squarely in the jeans.

This is a cold, hard fact.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
my new trick..its called the wrap heelside backside melon offaxis 720 second 3 is oh-lay... but we have been calling it a bullfighter or moca latte.. but it is still just a off axis 7....

i'd like to think that the professionals that do these moves know best what they are...

so when you do you crowmobe anthem you pass the handle???

so is it harder to pass the handle on a crow mobe/pete or land blind???

(Message edited by romes on June 01, 2009)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
for me a pete is way easier to pass the handle. i've never landed a pete blind, but my handle pass on petes is RIGHT when i hit the water.
Landing blind is never easier, but that is much different then not doing the handle pass until you hit the water. On crow mobes because of your momentum, landing blind isn't THAT much harder but it is still harder. When you can do crow mobes and petes, you generally are good enough that landing wrapped up shouldn't phase you all that much.
But back to the misunderstanding. Landing wrapped up say on a ts 7 or crow mobe is a HANDLE PASS trick that you are landing blind. You just chose for style or functionality purposes to land your trick wrapped up
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
Well jr, I prefer to pass the handle. I chose this route some time ago because I feel it makes the trick look far more legit. There was this one time that I landed blind, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was half-assing it.

I couldn't really tell you which way is easier since I never try to land blind, mainly for the reason stated above. Plus I haven't done one in several years, as I am getting older and don't get the opportunity to ride much anymore. Plus, I have chosen to try and take my messageboard career to the next level.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
haha..i can dig it anthem...

there's always more than one way to skin a cat...
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Eyekahn,
http://shanebonifay.com/welcome.html
half way down the page, he has a video of it and it is SICK. It reminds me exactly of the double corked stuff going down on snowboards, and I hope this is the direction the sport is being pushed. Harf is doing the same trick but with a handle pass three at the end, so basically a wrapped bs double corked melan 7. I have a feeling Harf and Shane were riding together and Shane decided to try the trick out and he ended up going ole instead and that is where it came from.

(Message edited by lfxstar on June 01, 2009)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
The theory behind the double cork verses saying it is an invert is that your first rotation is off axis therefore the second rotation is judged off the first rotation which is thought of now as on axis when initiating the second spin direction, so the second spin becomes off axis to the first, hence the double cork. You go off axis, then you go off axis again. Simple, right? :-)

(Message edited by lfxstar on June 01, 2009)
Old     (cwitham)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-01-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
that is a freakin' sweet looking trick. The video is awesome.
Old     (wakemastercraft)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-01-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
wrapped, grabbed, moby dick.... he is clearly inverted. Sorry Kyle
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
yeah kyle, it does definitely look like the double cork stuff that is going down on snowboards.

i've been riding for 10+ years and always believed a mobe was any invert with any 360 (or more). never heard it specified that it HAD to be handle pass. if thats wrong, fine, who made that rule and where can i find it?
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
THIS IS IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM A MOBY DICK!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-01-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
The shiat is getting deep in here.

Anthem,,,,show me one person that does a pete with a handle pass before they land.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-01-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
Oh Oh Oh J-rod I GOT, I GOT IT!!!!!!

Ricky G doesnt when he does a Pete 5!!!! What do I win!!!!!

(Message edited by andy nintzel on June 01, 2009)
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
1. What is shiat?

2. I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. I was referring to when people land wrapped, with the rope behind their back and their lead arm flailing around looking all stupid. I didn't mean passing the handle as you land or right before the landing.

3. Of course, if you really want to see someone pass the handle before they land, watch old clips of Brannon Johnson doing a Pete. He spun the 360 right off the wake; it was just as hideous as it sounds.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-01-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
Well Leave it to Mr.Alliance Wakeboard Mag Garret Cortesse to settle this Via Email:

Yo Andy,

Saw the thread on WakeWorld about Shane's new trick and just happened to have watched this clip of Benny G a few minutes earlier. A few tricks in you'll notice his Pete. You might also notice the super legit grab he's putting on it. And you'll also notice the handle pass before the landing. That guy is way too good at this whole wakeboarding thing.

http://www.thewakeplace.com/?p=531

Happy Monday,

-GC

And GC is right Benny G is way to good at wakeboarding.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
WOW...benny g is really really good. haha. it never gets old watchin that dude rip...and that pete was sick
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-01-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
sorry for not thoroughly reading this post if its been mentioned above. But in one of the sequence shots shanes board is up above his head. Almost upside down. Wouldnt that qualify this trick as in INVERT not Spin
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
Shane knows what he did. why are you guys arguing this? He intended to do a Heelside wrapped BS OA 7 with the second 3 ole and thats what he did.
If he wanted to do a wrapped moby dick and get inverted he would have and it would be obvious.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-01-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
Jeff House in here, and most other Petes I see him do, he passes the handle upon landing or before
http://derekgrasman.wordpress.com/2009/05/31/derekgrasman-wordpress-com-video-blog-three/
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-01-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
http://shanebonifay.com/Blog/Entries/2009/5/8_new_trick_oh_yeah_.html
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-01-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
I heard somewhere that mobius by definition is a circle within a circle. I just did a quick google, and did not find anything to back this up word for word, however this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip seems to confirm it. Look at the picture, it is a circle with a spiral, hence a 360 in two different directions. By this, why would a whirly or a non-passed crow mobe not be a mobe? Who wrote the rule that there must be a handle pass? By definition it is a mobe. I concur that it is not a handle pass invert. I just dont understand why people argue against mobe-status at all. Why put the term on a pedestal? It is what it is, if you dont think a whirly is in the same league as a crow mobe, then put the latter on a pedestal by counting how many "handle pass inverts" you can do vs how many mobes you can do, but assuming the definition of mobe is correct and there was not a declaration passed by some council of wakeboard elders years ago saying a mobe must have a handle pass, I dont get it.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-01-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
iu dont know what this trick is but its so sick to me when i look at it, wish i could do this thing !
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-02-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
Lets put this to rest...

Trick Name: Backside Mobius

Description: Heelside rotational roll-combination flip with handle pass
Category: Expert

Trick Name: Pete Rose

Description: AKA Frontside Mobius- Toeside rotational roll-combination flip with handle pass

Straight from WW itself. You have to do a handle pass 360 for a mobe. Fin.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-02-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
Ok, so wakeworld is the mythical council of wakeboard elders I was looking for...

I dont know if I take a definition as the final undisputed word that calls a HS Mobe a "Backside Mobius." There is nothing backside in this trick. FS 360 and a backroll is basically a super off axis FS 3. This definition is basically as good as calling it a helicopter IMO. "Heelside rotational roll-combination flip with handle pass" With that definition, this trick could be a HS Mobe, HS Mobe 5, KGB, KGB 5, Slim Chance, Slim Chance 5, or even Moby Dick/"Billion Dollar Baby" if a tantrum qualifies for a "roll." Same thing goes with your pete definition. I think these definitions come from the old school style (that is now universally deemed incorrect) of calling HS "Backside" and toeside "frontside." Furthermore, just because these two mobes have handle passes (as defined by wakeworld), why does that mean all other mobes have handle passes?
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-02-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Its useless... This has gone way off topic. I just wanted to help some people clarify that shanes trick is definitly not a wrapped Moby dick(Wrecking ball or Iron cross). It is exactly what he said it was. Wrapped hs bs oa 3 to ole 3. Not get in a debate if a mobe needs a handle pass 3(at least) or not because there is no debate.

(Message edited by eyekahn on June 02, 2009)
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-02-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
DAAAAAAANGIIT !!!!!!!!!!!

I was gonna invent this when i got better and call it a wrapped double crow 7. No lie i've been doing it on tramp and had it on my mind for almost 2 years.

THANKS SHANE !!!!!!!
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
cover your ears kids.... The definition of Mobius for wakeboarding comes from our long lost cousin... "Trick Skiing"
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-03-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
ok, i'm prepared for my turn to be crucified.

a) a mobius is defined as two lines that continue forever without intersecting but are not parallel.

b) a hs mobe or back mobe isn't a backside mobius, its a back mobius. as in a backroll mobius.

c) the iron cross differs from a wrapped moby dick by shapiro's incredible ability to hold his body position throughout the trick, so even if this was a wrapped moby dick, it wouldn't be an iron cross.