Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-10-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
I've had wiplash and concussions wakeboarding and have yet to hurt myself snowboarding. But any of the snowboarders that I talk to think that it doesn't hurt because they think the water breaks your fall, wrong!!! I think that the spills are fairly equal, however I do tend to ride way more aggressive wakeboarding therefore take some nasty crashes.
Old     (longlakerider)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-10-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
id say snowboarding, falling on frozen water hurts more than falling on warm water. also scorpians are always a bitch
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-10-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
My opinion:

In snowboarding you are more likely to break something or have more serious damage on a bad fall.

In wakeboarding your muscles and joints are effected a lot more than breaking bones.

Both suck, but honestly my body is way more beat up from wakeboarding. Breaks heal quicker. My ligaments and joints are ruined from wakeboarding!
Old     (lachie_mew)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-10-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
snow is hard and hurts.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-10-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
snow hurts...so does water...anything hurts if you hit it hard enough
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-10-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
Depends on the snow conditions. I only ride powder, so, Wakeboarding hurts more.

I've taken end-over-end, Kartwheel-like crashes in the powder, just to dust myself off and keep going.

If you're talking about riding Park, now that's another story
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-10-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
agreed with jrod, riding park can get nasty. if you've ever come up short off a 40 foot table top you know what im talking about. here in ontario we deal with alot of flat take offs for our booters, not an easy task to get up to speed sometimes. not to mention frozen metal rails hurt like hell
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-10-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
Snowboarding.
Upload
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-10-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
Those same metal rails(unfrozen),won't hurt while wakeboarding?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-10-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
I have gotten a concussion from wakeboarding. The most I have really hurt myself snowboarding is landing very very hard on my tailbone and not being able to sit right for a month...I've done this a couple times over the years.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       12-10-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Terry, It doesn't even have to be metal. I took a 4x4 that was pounded way few feet in the mud to the top of head at 22mph! Hurt like hell!! Had a HUGE bump on my head. I ollied on to a A-frame, came up short and it lunched me in the air head first in to one of the 4x4 beams. It sucked!! Got it all on video. Its one that you watch and everyone says "Oh Sh**" great for partys!!
Old    ajmac            12-10-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
"scorpians are always a bitch"
LOL. My vote is for snowboarding. Nothing like the first time attempting a rail and landing with your shin on top of the thing.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-10-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
J-Rod the problem with Powder in there are generally BIG bolders underneath. I was riding back country in like 3 feet of fresh pow last year, and slammed into a rock that was under it. I have to say snowboarding hurts more; however, I think there are an EQUAL amounts of injury. I think snow= more blood where wake= tears and blow outs.
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       12-10-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
heres my opinion....both can be very painful...but you can also take 20 decent falls on a wakeboard and not feel anything....but if you take 20 decent falls on a snowboard ur def gonna feel it the next day
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-10-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
I think if people rode a snow board as "bold" as they try and wakeboard they would get hurt more often and severe. Most people that snowboard won't just try and through an invert and see what happens but I see it al the time behind the boat
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-10-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
yea ive been spitting blood snwoboarding more than once.. but yet to have any bloody injuries in wakeboarding.. they both hurt, just a different kind of hurt
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-10-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
snowboarding for sure!
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-10-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
terry,
those frozen rails seem to sting pretty bad. im not saying it doesnt hurt hittin a rail on a wakeboard. they can both hurt. i have more experience on rails in the snow, and i've seen some nasty stuff
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-10-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
I'd say wakeboarding but thats probobly because i wakeboard more than i snowboard.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-10-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
ICE = PAIN even on small falls on most eastern runs. You are also not dodging too many trees behind a boat and trees can literally kill. Don't see nearly as many inverts on the terrain park as I do behind a boat so most tend to hold back more on the frozen stuff because penalties seem to be higher but agree I would rather catch and edge in 2 feet of powder than slapping the water. I have broken bones in both so I have had my share of pain from both sports but I def. try more stuff wakeboarding.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-10-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
I have to say snowboarding. I am not good at it and have only been a few times. But I hurt my wrist on a fall, wahcked my back and hurt my neck. Now I have been hurt wakeboarding but I would much rather fall in the water then on the hard snow or ice. Plus when you gwet back in the boat the girlies in the bikinis take care of you
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-11-2007, 4:14 AM Reply   
Like I said in an earlier thread...I fractured my shoulder the 3rd time I snowboarded, and all I was doing were S-turns.

After 60+ unsuccessful back roll attempts, 6 tantrum attempts, 100+ Heel & Toe 3s and one failed Raley attempt, the worst injury has been a tweaked knee and a sore neck (whiplash).

I agree w/ Scott. Go attempt some inverts on a snowboard and get back to me on this subject...
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-11-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
Dan you own the backroll now though.

Days+/-
Snowboard 400
Skiing 750
Wakeboard 500

Inverts
Snowboarding 1
Skiing 3
Wakeboarding 5

Injuries
Snowboarding AC separation, bloody nose
Skiing Broken thumb, 3 Concussions
Wakeboarding 2 ACLs, 1 MCL, 1 LM, 500 headaches

I think that the stakes are much higher in snowsports, due to head and neck injuries. However the day-day injuries in snowboarding like broken bones are short term. The day-day injuries in wakeboarding (concussions, knees) are life long injuries. I feel my knee surguries every single day. I could snowboard every single day for the rest of my life and never get an injury if I took it easy, I can't say the same thing about jumping the wake every day.

As far as which one hurts more?
It does not matter because that is the last thing I am thinking about when the injury occurs, all I think about is how soon will I be able to get back on the water/snow.

(Message edited by Alan-S on December 11, 2007)
Old     (jetpilotz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-11-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Neither one if you don't suck!
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-11-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
So I guess Parks sucks? Or did it not hurt the last time he blew his knee out. Or how about when Murray was knocked unconscious? Yeah, that probably didn't hurt either .
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-11-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Dmn Alan....That adds up to 4.5 years of continuous skiing, wakeboarding, or snowboarding by the age of 26. Man, I have the wrong job.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-11-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
Actually that is not that much. Worked ski school for 2 years in college, lived in Breckenridge for a winter after college and worked in a snowboard shop. Each one of those years were 120-140 day seasons. Bought my fist wake board boat at 22 and wake boarded 4-5 days a week for 3 summers straight. And now I ride a couple days a week on customer demos and ride after work too.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-12-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
Snowboarding on Sunday. Hit a kicker at the edge of a small cliff and did a 10' freefall onto my back. Still in a neckbrace due to severe whiplash. All I heard was "crack" as I hit the flats on my back. You can prepare for a hard wake fall-sometimes, but I was of luck on this one. 23 years of snowboarding and skateboarding, 12 years wake. I have to rank danger as 1. snow, 2. wake, 3. skate.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-12-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Snowboarding without a doubt. A broken wrist, a separated shoulder, and a torn up rotator cuff are the damage I've taken snowboarding.