Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    whitechocolate            04-25-2005, 7:09 AM Reply   
How long would you expect the finish to last on a trailer? I noticed that my trailer has lots of rock chips in it that I would expect to be some what normal.

I had a few stickers on the trailer that I decided to take off. When taking them off I noticed that the powder coat is coming off along with the sticker.? I know thats not normal and makes me think the did a crappy job
prepping the trailer for powder coat and thats why its chipping so easy.

So my question is how long would you expect DHM to honer the finish on the trailer.

here is a photo of what Im talking about
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-25-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Call George at DHM in Sacramento, a real easy guy to work with, 916-688-7767. Unfortunately it looks like you have a trailer from a time when their painting was not the best.

The finish on my DHM was really nice but it's just paint. With your talent and buddy network it should be easy for you to do a partial repaint. Add a clearcoat to bring it up to par with the rest of your boat.
Old    hyperryd            04-25-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
It sure looks like paint, Grant. Shouldn't be too hard to touch up. I would bet that they wouldn't cover it under warranty any more though.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-25-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
I pulled the stickers off my brand new trailer and the same thing happend, the paint came off with the sticker. I am of the opinion DHM painting ain't the greatest. But it is black and easy to touch up. I like the idea of spraying high traffic areas (step, fenders ) with bedliner. But Mikeski got it right too. Good paint job with a couple coats of clear would be nice.
Old     (coopair)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-26-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 Super Air sitting on a DHM trailer that was originally bought in Aug. of 2001. I bought the bought used last year and the trailer had a broken leaf spring at that time. It wasn't difficult to replace and not very expensive. This year I noticed that the wheel that the bow sits on was damaging my gel coat. I know DHM changed the bow rest in 2002.

Last week when I phoned DHM and asked about upgrading my trailer so it didn't damage my boat anymore, they agreed they had changed there trailer because of the same problem that I was having. But I would have to pay for the upgrade because my trailer is no longer under warranty. Really seems hard for me to believe they are not willing to fix there mistake.

I will be looking at different trailers for my next boat.
Old     (coopair)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-26-2005, 7:59 AM Reply   
Sorry about taking this lead in another direction w/ that last post.

I also have a lot of rock chips and a place where the paint has come off where the previous owner had peeled of a sticker.
Old    whitechocolate            04-26-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
hey cooper I had the same problem check out this link . The fixed me for free and payed to have the gell coat fixed
http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/dhm?page=1
Old     (coopair)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-26-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Grant, who did you told to? I spoke w/ Kevin, he put me on hold and said he talked to the owner who told him it was no longer under warranty and I would have to pay for the parts and find someone in my area to do the replacement. Thanks for the link. It's weird that you experienced the same problem with a leaf spring also (very dangerous).
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-26-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Sounds like they made an improvement that lasts longer? Just like changing from paint to powder coat. I wouldnt think they would be responsible after the warranty even if the wheels fell off? From Grant own post he says to keep an eye on the roller, it can wear through, maintenance? Now if it was something that happened within a short time from manufacture and many people had the same problem then id expect it to be a recall of some sort. Grant it does look just like paint not powder but is it possible they put the sticker on shortly after it was painted and thats what caused it to peel?
Old    whitechocolate            04-26-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
#1 DHM has been very good to me as far as fixing anythng I have ever asked them about.

on the Issue of paint, (yes my trialer is painted) George at DHM said he would help me out with the cost of Sand Blasting the trailer and then re-painting it. He side to sandblast and re-paint a trailer it cost around $1,200 I dont know what kind of discount Im gonna get. Ill have to wait till he and I get together.

#2 The V-pad. I was told to watch out for this type of dammage from another Nautique owner. He said this same thing happend to him, As soon as I saw what had happend I got it fixed right away. I droped the boat off at DHM they put a new V block on and then dropped the boat off at West Coast Corret Craft they fixed the gell and I was down the road at not cost.

#3 The Leaf spring's, Yes the single leaf's broke.
I called DHM and they passed me on to the manafactuer of the leaf's and the sent me 4 brand new one's No cost.

#4 The Tire's One of my Carlise tires popped and it looked fishy. I called DHM and they put me in touch with the manafactuer and they sent me 5 brand new tires no questions asked.

So I have had a few Issue's with the trailer, But They have fixed everything without question. So I have a hard time talking smack about them. Yes it would have been great if none of things would have happend in the first place but stuff happens, To me its more about how they take care of it
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-26-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
I have a DHM trailer now and have had them work on other trailers I've had. George and the rest of the crew are great to deal with and have taken care of any problems that have come up.
Dosen't matter what trailer you have you will have a problem from time to time. It matters how they take care of you. Also, the times I've left my boat there they were carefull to keep it covered and always stored it indoors at night. That's more than I can say for most boat repair places around
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-01-2005, 5:49 AM Reply   
Grant,

I've found a particular issue with my DHM trailer just yesterday.

Looking at the guide pole it really looked like it was leaning out too far from the boat. So, I go and look it and find that the weld joints from the under side of the pole had failed and probably failed and then hit by the boat when loading and subsequently bent the pole outward. So, now the only thing holding the pole is the diamond plate step.
Yet another thing to fix on the boat.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old    newtique            05-01-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
Just a comment on paint. I think powdercoat works good where a mechanical bond is adhesion method, such as an aluminum tower. However, a buddy of mine who restores cars said that PC is a poor coating for frames and underbodies because it crack and corrosion begins there. He recommends using a product called POR15 http://www.por15.com/
Which, like many primers forms a chemical bond. He said it can be brush applied as it self levels. Around $30/qt but coverage is good.

(Message edited by NewTique on May 01, 2005)