Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-25-2012, 8:51 PM Reply   
So, seeing how I am going nowhere and doing nothing this weekend. I was checking out different boats online while drinking a Ninkasi Double Red Ale and came across a boat I almost never hear about on wakeworld.

The newer moomba Outback V. We use to hear about the older outback v/outback lsv/original mobius lsv but not the 2009 and newer one. It is on it's 4th year being built so it isn't like it is a new boat. After looking at moomba's site and some other stuff I guess I don't see why no one talks about it. Really the boat looks like it should be more popular then it seems to be, at least on wakeworld.

It is a 20' boat with a 96" beam so it isn't super wide but is right there with the other popular 20' boats(X2, RZR, VTX). It isnt' really low profile like the older outback V's. It is a little shallower inside but not really anymore then most Nautique's, Malibu's, Sanger's, Sangers. It is a pretty decent looking boat. At least until they stuck the most recent tower on it(super ugly and cheap looking, they should put the s-bend tower now available on Supra's or the illusion). The boat has a nice, simple, clean, comfy looking interior. The seat cushions don't look really thin like older moomba's were. Also, it seems to be one of, if not the best 3 sport crossover boats when equipped with the trim tab. In all honesty almost all boats should come standard with a trim tab. There isn't a lot of info but it has to be better then every current vdrive for skiing except maybe the nautique 200v or the X14v. Both those boats are probably 20-40k more then this boat and the X14v is just weird looking. I seem to remember an older thread in 09ish when they came out that the boat threw a decent surf wake and wakeboard wake as well.

So what gives? Is it just that it really doesn't do anything that well? Is it that it gives up some wake performance for ski performance which probably isn't as popular on wakeworld? Is it because it isn't all tha tmuch cheaper then the Mobius LSV(this seems to be the biggest downfall to me because 11's are listed at 43k equipped normal for a moomba, for 7k more or so you can get a much plusher and better equipped boat like an MB 21' or I am assuming a Mobius LSV). To me it looks like the boat should be 37-40k for the base boat with tower, ballast, single axle trailer and somewhere around 42-45k with the upgraded engine, star gazer, triple ballast, trim tab, tandem trailer, good stereo setup, bimini, racks and maybe a couple other options. Can you get a loade dup one of these for 40-45k? If so I am surprised it isnt' a more popular boat.

REally it seems like a great all around boat that would satisfy 90% of people whether it be wakebaording, surfing or skiing. Also, since it is one of the smaller and lighter boats these days I would guess it is a lot more fuel efficient then most boats these days not to mention easier and cheaper to tow.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-25-2012, 10:19 PM Reply   
Sounds like a guy talking himself into a boat! Go get one and tell us what you think. Hehe.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-25-2012, 10:46 PM Reply   
Yeah, I wish. Just was looking at the boat the other day on moomba's site and thought that it liked like a great boat. Especially for a multisport family.
Old    TN22            05-26-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
It is a popular boat, I just don't think many of the owners of it come on Wakeworld. It really is a great boat though, does everything a family wants for a really good price.
Old     (pennsforest04)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-27-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
Bought a 2012 Outback V in late March after seeing it at the Richmond Boat Show. Then, after towing it 9 hours to its birth this weekend and finally being able to put some time on it, I can say my family loves it. Now granted, we were coming from a 27 year old Baja i/o, but it's really an incredible boat. It was perfect for us, especially on the small lake we wakeboard on. The new OZ tower is much more solid and looks a lot better in real life than in pictures. As for the wake, with 5 people in the boat, the plate 3/4 of the way up, and the moomba cruise on at about 21-23 mph it cleans up pretty nicely and is more than enough for our crew to progress on. Still haven't been able to use the ballast system yet as we haven't hit the 10 hour mark on the engine. The interior is comfortable and the three tone vinyl looks good as well. I think I remember hearing that Skier's Choice upgraded to a denser foam for 2011. Also, the cabin is spacious for a 20 footer, we fit 10 people in the boat with room to spare. It truly is an amazing boat for the price in my opinion, but of course I have new boat goggles on, so take it with a grain of salt. As for the options, we got the board racks, moomba cruise, Roswell tower speakers w/amp, bimini top (which was crucial this weekend), Moomba cover, Swing away tongue trailer, and the Gravity I ballast system for just under 50k. Needless to say, there will be quite a few hours logged behind it this summer.