Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-22-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
CopperTone Sport continuous spray (airosol) spf 30 messed the wax up on my boat as well as my friends boat. The over spray went all over my boat and pitted the wax and even left water spot like stains on my stainless rub rails. I tried to buff them out with fresh wax, but didn't do a thing. I think I am going to take it to a detail shop that specializes in fiberglass boats. I don't want to mess it up even more than it already is. It isn't real noticable on the red or white, but it is real noticable on the black fiberglass.

That stuff is no longer allowed on my boat for sure. I can only imagine what it does on your skin. Just a little heads up.
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Before you spend money at the detail shop try using a white vinegar water mix, about a 2 to 1 mixture of water to vinegar. I usually mix it in a small bucket and use a wash mit then follow it up with a dry towel and then apply new wax. It work's great and takes off the spray tanning mess and removes all water spot's.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-23-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
Brannon Get a clay bar kit from mothers. ABout 15 bucks. SHould do the trick.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-23-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Mother's also has a polishing compound that looks like wax. It'll make the gel coat look brand new again.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-23-2006, 9:02 PM Reply   
I tried the vinegar mix and no luck. I tried 3 different waxes that claim they have a light cleaner. I will look into the clay bar kit. I will look at the mothers polishing as well. Thanks for the advice.

I found out from a friend of mine that her new Avalanch has gotten the same problem from that sunblock, but it faded the black vinly to a dark grey on her dash. So she has little grey specks all over her boat where the black is. She is pissed about it.