Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
We need some new cookware and I ran across a brand that seems to be pretty well made.. Calphalon?

Anyone know anything about it? Recommendation on other brands? I don't mind spending the money as long as it's something that will last. She's not a professional chef so we don't need 1500.00 rice cooker. Quality, but sensible is what we're after.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-16-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
I have Calphalon - been very happy with it. It is pretty well known according to my female friends that approved the purchase lol.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
ALL-CLAD rocks. We have been using "All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel" for 12 years. Its great stuff. However, ALL-CLAD has come out with even better and more expensive options: a) brushed stainless and b) copper core.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/.../?cm_type=lnav
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-16-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
That was the other one my friends recommended.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-16-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
i have calphalon and is really good, but my next set will be all-clad.

what about knives? i have henckles but want to get new ones. are there better ones out there? i heard wusthof knives are better.

Last edited by dakid; 11-16-2010 at 6:05 PM.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
This copper core ALL-CLAD set is nice but $$$$...

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...7Cckwallcprset
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-16-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
by the way, if you want to save some dough but want some decent quality stuff, check out the calphalon stuff at target.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-16-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
http://www1.macys.com/shop/kitchen/b...ZF&edge=hybrid
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
Joe, I donated my henkle set from Costco to charity after getting a Wustof "classic" set for my Bday. Night and day. I love Wustof knives. Yet, I am also always willing to try out even better knives. I dig good knives.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-16-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
My buddy and his wife got me a Wusthof set for standing at his wedding - they are awesome.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-16-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
cheap calphalon (see page 4) http://weeklyad.target.com/target/de...ion=entryflash

thanks dane...gonna have to check 'em out!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
BTW, I would stay away from aluminum cookware. I much prefer steel. Costco has a pretty rockin "all-clad" like stainless steel set.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. All clad looks nice, but I'm not sure I want to drop 1600.00 on cookware.. I was expected 600-800.00 and it looks like the higher end Calphalon is right there.

Anything in the 600-800.00 range someone might suggest?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-16-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
That's the range I bought in during a sale. I got Calphalon One, which they don't sell anymore (but you can still get the set on Amazon for cheaper, $300 now). The Calphalon Unison seems to be well reviewed and it's dishwasher safe unlike mine.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...ategoryID=7558
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-16-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
i bought mine in pieces. cheaper to buy the bundled packages?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-16-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
I am very pleased with my Kitchenaid Gourmet Reserved Hard-Anodized Cookware, but I don't see sets for sale? I have Kitchen Essentials Calphalon, but don't use it unless I have to.

This looks to be an upgrade, though I like the steel handles, even if they get hot..... These have silicone handle grips....

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-804...p_ob_k_title_0

Anyway, just an option....

Oh...and I am all about non-stick......
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-16-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
I have enjoyed our pampered chef cookware for the last 7+ years.
my knives are cutco, and myself and my family have been using them for at least 20 years now.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
This 13 peice set at Costco for $179 is pretty darn nice but you don't get the "name"...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...1#BVRRWidgetID
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
Dane,
is there a trick to cooking with stainless? Forgive my ignorance, I am not even close to a cook... I burn peanut butter& jelly.
I think my wife wants non-stick, but perhaps because it's just what's she's used to.. I don't know.
What's the benefit?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-16-2010, 9:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
What's the benefit?
less non-stick stuff in your food?

the lady at williams sonoma told me if your food is sticking to stainless, the fire is too hot. (something like that)
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
Non-stick makes sense for certain things where you don't need/want high heat and/or you don't want things to stick.

We use a non-stick fry pan for eggs & french toast.

Non-stick isn't good for browning. It also emits toxic stuff when it gets too hot. It will also wear away. So, all of our non-stick pans are "value" brands. I am fine with replacing them every 5 years or so.

Pots don't need non-stick. Ours look like new after 12 years of use. Occasionally, we need to soak one overnight if we burn something.

Our stainless fry pans get heavy use but they clean up pretty easily.

When I make pork chops, I brown them on each side before throwing them in the oven to finish them off. For this, its nice to have a pan that can handle the oven.

All that said... Buy what she wants first; buy what you want next; Thats what I would do! :>)

Last edited by diamonddad; 11-16-2010 at 9:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
I use circulon for my non-stick fry pans:

http://www.amazon.com/Circulon-Acces...974063&sr=8-10
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-17-2010, 12:00 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help, folks.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-17-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
times 100 for all clad, it is what we use at the restaurant and what i have at home (copper core). You dont need the super high end copper core but it is nice, i would probably start with the basic. don't buy a huge set, just get an 8 and a 12 and you should be able to do whatever you want, if you find that you need more stuff go out and buy the pieces that you feel you need. in my experience most people who buy huge sets end up using 2 or 3 pans and everything else takes up space. You should spend the money on the things you use a lot and buy cheapies for things that don't get used all that often ie roasting pans (you wont tell the dif between a $100 all clad and a $30 no name). non-stick are the same way, i buy whatever is the absolute cheapest as i see them as 2 year throw aways, as soon as you get a little nick in the non-stick coating they are toast. i also love le crouset for stews and braises they are pricey but amazing pans. people tend to look at sets as a good way to get a discount but you end up spending more than you should because you are buying more pieces than you need this holds true for knives as well, you need 3, a chefs knife or santuko, a pairing knife, and a bread knife (serated) if you break down proteins you can add a boning knife to that list but again these can be purchased cheaply and shouldnt be a name brand.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-17-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Wow, Jeff... I just need something to cook Hot Pockets in.

You're way above my head here. I'll pass it on to the wife..Thanks for the help.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-17-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
GD nailed it with that set from Costco. It's actually very nice stuff for the money. All Clad is the best, but it's huge $. Anything that is stainless and constructed well will work great. You know good cookware when you look at it closely. I got some Tri-Ply no-name from a resteraunt supply a couple years back and I find it's in every way equal to the All Clad that I bought my Mom.

FWIW... GD also nailed it on non-stick vs. stainless. I almost never use non-stick. It is reserved for making eggs, pancakes, etc.... All other cooking is either in stainless, a wok or cast iron.

Another thing that I'll add; If you don't have any cast iron cookware, you're missing out. You need to check out some Lodge Cast Iron stuff. It's great. You can't leave it sitting wet after you wash it, but otherwise it's bomb proof. You can't cook a better fillet inside than with cast iron. It retains so much heat and stays completely even on the temp. Perfect for any type of searing.

Jeff knows his stuff, obviously. I completely concur with what he said. I basically use the same three knives he mentions.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-17-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
My wife and I use All-Clad Stainless for everything except for pancakes and eggs. It is doable but you have to really pay attention. I picked up a 8" Scanpan for eggs and such, it is incredible, most used pan in the kitchen. http://www.scanpan.com/cookware/type...l-fry-pan.html
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-17-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
evan, i agree with 100% on the lodge cast iron i never get my cast pan wet though. if you need to clean it just pour some salt into with enough oil to create a "wet sand" consistency use that to scrub out anything that has stuck and you wont compromise the seasoning that makes cast iron so great.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-17-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
The costco setup is the best bang for the buck. Calphalon is WAY overpriced. Wustoff cutlery is top dog..

Ask a chef what pans he cooks with.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-17-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
Andy.... We already have. That's what Jeff does for a living if I recall correctly.

Jeff, hmm salt and oil. I've never tried that. I use water and a soap free sponge. I try to be gentle with the seasoning on my wok and my cast iron stuff. As the years go on, I find that I like the cast iron more and more.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-17-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
For knives check out Shun. They used to ship them with band-aids.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-17-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
Evan, thanks for the ideas on cast iron. I will pick one up and use Jeff's salt/oil idea to clean it! Great to see your input Jeff. I feel somewhat validated that we agree!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-17-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
BTW, I hate cutco handles.

My favorite Wusthof knives are:

8" Chef

4.5" Prep

Old    alanp            11-17-2010, 11:22 PM Reply   
if you go with analon, circulon, calaphon or all clad you can get 25% off coupons all day long from bed bath and beyond. check the website or wait for the weekend circular. we picked up some analon pans after our wedding. the also run deals where you get free pan and you can use the coupon.