Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (4hun)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-01-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
I currently ride a Phase 5 Prop board. I bought it a couple of years ago and dont think it is the right board for me. I am 200 lbs and over 6 feet tall. I have an xstar with a decent surf wake. I can stay behind the boat without the rope but am usually within 1-2 feet from the platform and struggle the entire time staying there. My 150lb buddy recently rode my board and rode further out and rode with ease. I watch all these videos and just think I need a different board. I am a pretty decent rider but need a suggestion on a new board. The Phase 5 was expensive enough and I dont really want to spend that much on a new board. What is the best board for the money? Anyone want to buy a nice Phase 5 Prop or trade me??
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
triple x is a good bang for the buck. what size is your phase 5?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-01-2010, 10:20 PM Reply   
yea, triple x are pretty well priced. Look into calibrated, they are a bit more tho.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-01-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
Lakewakes 5.2 Dragon,wake doesn't have to be huge to ride it.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-01-2010, 11:26 PM Reply   
doesnt have to be huge, but it sure does help.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-02-2010, 2:45 AM Reply   
Rich,
The lakewakes 5.2 is called the boat board, dragon is just the artwork on the bottom of the board
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-02-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
But if he goes from a Phase 5 Prop to almost anything else bigger, he'll be going from skim to surf style. I don't know if that's what he wants. I haven't tried much of the skim style but I did get a Triple X 58" composite a few weeks ago on ebay for $177 new. Only tried it twice and it's a very loose board, probably because the single fin is a wakeboard fin. There's some Grindwater Shaka boards on ebay now for $299 new.
Old     (4hun)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-02-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
Do I want skim or surf style board?? It seems everyone is riding the surf style with big fins on the back. I have one small fin. It is very loose and pretty easy to do 3's on. I guess I will try a surf style next. I think I will like it better.
Old    JasonDJ            07-02-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have a Triple X Slasher 5'0 board (surf Style) that would probably be perfect for you that I would be willing to trade for the Phase 5 prop board.

The Triple X board came with small 1.75" wakeboard fins on it but I installed 4.5" surf fins on it and it rides great. Its very easy to surf and stay in the pocket. Very stable with 3 fins on it. You can ride it as a twin for a looser feel.

Send me an email if your are interested: jasonjohnson42@hotmail.com

I am in Fresno, CA.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-02-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Jason, where did you get the surf style fins. I sure could use one to replace that tiny fin that came on my Triple X 58 Composite.
Old    JasonDJ            07-02-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
If I were you , I wouldn't put 4.5" surf style fins on your Triple X 58 composite as that is a Skim board but you could get a bit longer fin which would make it more stable and catch the wake easier.

I actually put Hyperlite 4.5" landlock surf fins on it which I don' think they make any more:
http://www.boardstop.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1502

They were sold out everywhere online last year and I was surprised to find my local shop had some in stock.

It was an easy swap as they both have the two hole wakeboard fin configuration. I don't think you will have much luck w/ finding the 4.5" landlock fins but Ronix is now making replacement surf fins at 2.5" and 3.5"

http://www.boardstop.com/index.php?c...&source=google

Ideally, FCS for Future Fins would work best on a surf style board but removing 2 screws was much easier then installing future fin boxes or FCS plugs and the Hyperlite 4.5" fins work just fine.

Triple X is now making the Slasher with FCS 4.5" surf fins. It made no sense to put those 1.75" wakeboard fins on it.
Old     (Freedafurface)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-02-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
Shawn ,
My buddy comes out on the boat with me and he is about the same dimensions. He had no trouble with the CWB Ride 5'3 I think it is a very easy board. We also had to put 450 # in the bow to keep him from being pushed into the back of the boat. That could be some of the aggravation you suffer. Once we did that he no longer likes to wake board though.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-03-2010, 5:38 AM Reply   
I have a walker project comp x 5.0 I would like to trade, for a skim style board that I can spin.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-11-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
The triple X 58 composite is a great board ( bullet proof ) skim with an Ok wave, I weigh 210 and ride the triple X 54 for my skim or we also have a IS BPY that is the same size but you need a GREAT wave for either @ 200+, the 58 is even easier for fade back on.
Old    JasonDJ            07-11-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
surffresh, how does the Triple X 54composite (skim) compare to the IS Black Pearl yellow?

I need to buy a skim board and I have been considering the IS black Pearl, Phase 5 boards, and thought about maybe the Triple X (because of price) as I have heard it is similar to Phase 5.

Has anybody tried the new Carbon Triple X composite?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-11-2010, 6:17 PM Reply   
I find the triple X to be a little more bouyant but not as fast if that makes any sense, for the price it's great and I have one cheap slightly used, you should also look at Inland's new squirt, a touch larger than the BPY, yep on the carbon, it's a different league and different price range, super light