Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Why dont the major board makers make a board that will hold up to sliders?

Its an obvious part of the sport when its included on the pro tour, and with more and more cable parks inevitably going to pop up around the u.s its going to get bigger.

If snowboard manufacturers can make boards that hold up AND stand behind them, I think the first major board maker will make big market gains when they start producing boards that are geared towards sliders.

Is this something that any companies are in r & d mode or are they simply not interested?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-27-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
Well the only slider specific board is designed to do the opposite... flex! If you think about it, making a board that wont bend or break wouldn't probably be that fun to jib and slide with.... assuming your not gapping flatrails like its an A frame, lol!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-27-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
premier with jib rails is aimed at that. but will they stand behind it... prob not. never ridden one, but it would prob affect the ride quite bit with plastic on the rails
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Do you mean the ROAM as the only slider specific board?

I still really want to try one.

How do they hold up on sliders, and does hyperlite have any kind of warranty on them?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-27-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure the Roam's warranty is up as soon as it hits a slider. Thats cool though they are more fun to ride in the flats than anything. that and slayshing the wakes.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-27-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Yea I meant the ROAM. It's awesome for playing on the wake and sliding, but not so much for big A frame gaps and the such.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
So, as someone who has some experience trashing boards on sliders I have noticed that the real problem seems to be delaminating the board in the middle.

Couldnt just capping the edges be a good start? I have no aspirations of seeing a board manuf start warrantying boards, but I do have dreams of a board that will hold ride the wake AND slider well so you can do both in a set, and have it hold together for a season.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-27-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
I've got an 06 premier, and they really tried to make that one jib friendly, granted I've never hit a slider in my life, and it'll be a long time before I do (or one even finds it's way to nebraska, but Hype did alot of work tyring to make it stand up to sliders, granted I took the rails off the bottom, but you can see that they really tried to make it jib friendly with what they call the ABS sidewall, it's that yellow stripe all the way around the board, it's supposed to help keep it from delaming

A couple years ago I think liquid force came out with a board they called the Grind, it was geared at sliders, but as far as I remember it was only out in 02 and 03, and I never saw one, so who knows how many were produced.

O'Brien also did some work with the concept, and put out the Vision, Shapiro, and Player boards with slider bases in 03, and put out the Demented with a slider base in 04 - called it the Demented Impact, but it those boards were only out for the years listed, they didn't keep producing them.

Origin was also known for making strong boards, I've heard alot about them holding up like no other on sliders, so maybe look at them, who knows, they should be cheap on ebay.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
Thats cool, I think the technology needs to be in the edges and the way the boards are pressed much more than the base itself.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-27-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Just be glad the wake industry has some kind of warranty program, they could have been like surf boards and have no warranty whatsoever. I grew up surfing and surfed for over twenty years and I couldent tell you how many boards I broke and sum the first day and no warranty, if you wanted to go surf the next day you went out and bought a new board or you dident ride.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-27-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
Would warranty still be voided if you hit a slider on a slider board?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
Again, Im not talking about warranty here, its hard to determine the level of use that would void or not void a slider board.

That said, I think what I am really talking about is a better way of pressing the boards or capping the edges.

Snowboarders and snow skiers hit metal rails all day all year long, so the industry has been forced to improve the durability.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-27-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
The problem is that you cannot guarantee the quality of the slider. OWC - 6 years ago destroyed my board in 2 hours. Last year, rode the new sliders/kickers 3 whole days, almost couldn't tell the board has been jibbed at all on teh new stuff. The sliders that Melissa & Kyle build are pretty hairball sketchy, will f-up your board (and you if you are not careful). So how slider durable do the boards have to be?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-27-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Also, compare the running suface of the snow boards & snow skis, compared to the running surface of wakeboards & waterskis. Snow = much harder surface than water. Snow gear has to be more flexible to perform. You might just try bolting a pair of wakboard bindings to a snow board and testing it out. Who knows.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-28-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
i called durasurf, got a good size sample of their stuff and put it on an old neptune which is built like a tank. Its slides soooooooooo fast its a lot of fun. it wont solve delamination though, so thats why everyonce in a while i go back and reseal all my edges. I read about the new byerly board having abs molded fins. If it works it could be a bright future for slider boards. Ive slid my premier a hand full of times and its not the huge flat spot in the middle that wears, its the molded in fins.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
But compared to snowboards, we hit rails alot harder because we are going that much faster, you dont have to go fast to hit a rail snowboarding. That could possibly be a cause.
Old    wakejjboard12            09-29-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
i have an '06 premier and i've ridden with and without the jib rails... personally i can't tell a difference. it feels the same riding wake and it has just as much damage from sliders as my '04 premier. the jibs don't really make a difference either way. i think it was just another gimmick from hyperlite to increase the appeal of the board. i think the abs wall was a good idea though, it's working out so far.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-29-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
Brian,that is true but wakeboard just slides on the rail,the impact is not necessarily harder plus look at some snowboard flicks,there are guys jumping over a 100' out and 100' down.Way more impact if you ask me.
Jeff usually makes sense and I agree with him now....SB are more flexible therefore more durable plus I'm pretty sure they don't float and don't need to.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-29-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Are you kidding?

Ive done some pretty big disasters on the mountain that can result in a 25 mph approach and a 15-25 ft gap.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-30-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Yes Big Ed, it depends on skill level like you said.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-30-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
Hey Kevin,

I bought one of the old Joyride Slider base boards off of ebay for $85. It has durasurf on the bottom and holds up really well.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
im tellin ya, durasurf is where its at! its sooooo fast!