Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (guitartguy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-27-2004, 11:21 PM Reply   
What is the best drysuit for wakeboarding and where should I shop?
Old     (guitartguy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-28-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
anybody?
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-28-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
I have been REAL happy with my Oneill Boost Drysuit. Simple but works well. Not the cheapest but very good.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-28-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
I agree with the boost, i have a bare ultra dry, about $100 less and a little lower quality. Get something baggy and layer as opposed to a tight one, then you can take it off when you are done and be warm
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-28-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
We have the Wet Tech Dry Lite It is a great suit.
http://www.wettech.com
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-28-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
bare ultra dry or dry ride. doesn't leak like and lighter than the o'neill...super comfortable. check w/ your local shop or check on ebay.
Old    natter            08-28-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
I have the bare drysuit. Have used it for a season works great. The only time I get water in it is if i face plant real hard and it is only a couple of drops of water. Its good.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-28-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
I am still using a Typhoon thats over 15 years old, its indistructable
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-28-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
My O'neill leaks a lot around the neck. Not very happy with it. I might try the Bare this season.
Old    akman            08-28-2004, 8:46 PM Reply   
Tim W, Is your neck seal tight or loose? You can have smaller neck seals put in, also do you have one with a neoprene neck or one with a latex neck??

I like the fit of the O'Neill Boost, I had my ankle seals re-done with latex they came with neoprene and they started getting loose after 2 years of use.

Personally I like the neoprene neck, I have a size 18 neck and the latex neck made my gag reflex go off because of how tight it was. The neoprene is more forgiving getting it over my head and on my neck.

Don't be fooled by the "They don't ever leak" statements, it all depends on your neck, ankle, wrist size and how hard you crash. I have friends with the Bare Ultra Dry, Dry Ride, O'Neill and Wet Tech..........they all leak to some degree depending on a lot of factors.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-28-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
Hey Gramps, I bought mine last season and I believe the suit has neoprene wirst, ankle, and neck seals. I'm wearing a small suit and my neck size is 16. It feels very tight around the neck, but after a few falls, my layers start getting wet underneath.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-28-2004, 9:28 PM Reply   
I love Bare. Man I would take huge fall and stayed dry no matter what. They are awesome.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-28-2004, 9:59 PM Reply   
My only problem with the bare is the neck. If i ride for more than 15-20 min, i start to get really light headed. I have taken some really hard diggers and have gotten a few drops, but nothing extensive. I also get some up the sleaves on hands first dives.
Old    akman            08-28-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
Tim, Are you rolling the neck inside or just pulling it over and jumping in the water?

My drysuit is 3 years old and came with Latex wrists and neoprene ankles and neck, last year I sent it to O'Neill to have the ankles changed to latex.

I roll my neck inside about 4 inches, I get a trickle now and then but that's about it and I have taken some BEATERS.

Mark, That's why I like the neoprene.....the latex is way too tight and just makes my gag reflex kick.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-30-2004, 6:20 AM Reply   
My recomendation is Barefoot International's Drysuit. I have been super happy w/ it!! So far no leaks to speak of!
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
I am with you on not being a big fan of the strangle feel of the Latex neck seal. Is the O'Neill the only suit with a neoprene neck?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Ocean Tec makes a great dry suit that I sell for $200. Great quality. rider@boarditup.com
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-30-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
O'niell Boost! No leaks.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
Looking at the website, the Boost now has latex wrist and ankle seals. But what is the "Smooth Skin (SL) Chafe-Free Dry Neck Seal"? Is this a change from their earlier neoprene neck seal, or just a fancy name for it?

I thought the O'Neill suits had caught a lot of flack for leaking at the neck, are they improved?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
The Wet Tech has the soft neck as well.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
I vote for the Bare Ultradry. I started w/ the O'Neil Boost but thought I may die from the tight neoprene neck. So back it went for the Bare as I knew you could cut down the latex to fit better...but luckily it fit fine. I think it is just more stretchy so works better for me. Definitely something you should try b4 you buy if possible. Do a search on here and you'll find some really long and informative dry suit threads. www.grizzly-sports.com had some good deals on bare last year and I got mine from www.shuswab.com or something like that...I can't remember the exact url. But since I had to send my first one back I wish I would have just went to a local place first and tried it on. Happy hunting!
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-31-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
Bare Ultra Dry here too, also bought it from http://www.shuswapsnb.com/. Great prices, and it was here in less than a week from Canada.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-01-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
Hi Mike, the boys have a bare that works well for them. We got it from http://www.gotriver.com
Josh is great, reliable and honest.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-03-2004, 6:03 AM Reply   
i like my o'neill boost dry suit except for the neopreane neck can be annoying putting on at first but when im out riding it doesn't even bother me...sometimes i role it down. I don't even want to think about wearing that anytime soon.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-03-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
O'neill boost. I have the boost with latex wrist and ankle seals and a neoprene neck. I love it. I get wet in the wrists and the neck, but I have small wrists. The water I take in the neck is justified by a more comfortable seal. I think the neoprene is more comfortable, easier to take off/put on, and is less restricting on my neck as far as gagging and breathing. I wouldn't ever want latex wrist or ankle seals.