Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-24-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
so this is how my set up is wired.
dual batteries linked in a series on position 1 of the Perko switch, single battery on position 2 of Perko. 1 of the dual batteries is for cranking the boat, the other runs lights and speakers. the grounds for the amps are grounded to the non cranking battery in the series. i have checked all the grounds going from the battery to the amps, as well as the ground going from the HU. every thing has been re-grounded and appears to be soild. when i turn the boat on (just the batterys) the speakers make a faint "pop pop pop" and when i try to turn the ignition over there is a pretty loud "whine." any thoughts on something i might have missed?
Old     (AndrewP)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-24-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
When did this start? What else have you recently done to the boat? How old is the Head Unit?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-24-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
there was a little interference at the end of last year, but nothing like this. the headunit is brand new clarion cmd6
recent upgrades: all new interior speakers, LED speaker rings, transom lights, 3 new batteries, 4 new tower speakers
Old     (AndrewP)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-24-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
Process of elimination is your best bet. Did you do the install or someone else? Unplug the RCAs first and see if the noise goes away ( it probably will). Next hook the RCAs back up and unhook all of your lights. Sometimes noise comes from other accessories, gauges, etc. that are hooked in with audio equipment. You can also try running a temporary test ground for the head unit. Does everything hook straight to the second battery or did you hook lights or other accessories anywhere else for instance the remote out of the radio, sharing turn on switches or anything else? Are the RCAs new or old? It might take some time if you added all the items at once.
Old     (AndrewP)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-24-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
Also speaker wires that are touching can cause problems. Noise is a pain to fix sometimes as there are many things that can cause it.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-24-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Just had to deal with this problem after I installed my speaker lights. With me I have a controller for my LED's and all I had to do was run a dedicated larger ground wire from my controller to my battery ground. Anywhere your boat power wires are running parallel with your speaker or RCA wires there is a possibility of interference . Did you run the power wires for the speaker lights next to the speaker or RCA wires ? that may be the issue...
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-25-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
got it solved guys! thanks for the input. the only issuse was a faulty ground coming out of the HU. after 7 hours and checking everything like 4 times over i just re-grounded the HU and works perfect. always seems to be the smallest thing that causes the biggest problem!