Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-26-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
before i go on, let me get this out of the way for eric.

quote:

By Eric (mjfan23) on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 7:13 pm:

the lakers are overrated.
pau is soft.
kobe sucks.
kobe will never be as good as jordan.
kobe will never be jordan.
jordan is the best player ever.

now on to the 09-10 nba season.

ron artest is the key to the lakers repeating. if he stays within the system and plays his usual tough "d", the lakers will be dominant. they'll be even more dominant if bynum finally plays to his potential. we'll see if the pre-injury bynum shows up this season.

the 2nd best team in the west will be the spurs. i don't think the nuggets will go as far as they did last year. they may be challenged in their division by portland, though w/ batum out for who knows how long, it might be tough for the blazers. dallas is going nowhere...jason kidd's done. houston's going nowhere w/ yao ming out indefnitely...and tracy mcgrady's done.

the celtics are gonna be tough to beat in the east. i think the only 2 teams to challenge them will be orlando and cleveland. yes, i know orlando lost hedo turkoglu and courtney lee, but who else would challenge the celtics other than the cavs? detroit's done. chicago's not quite there. miami's still missing a couple players to be a threat.

anyone think the shaq signing will backfire on the cavs? i do. he may come in slimmer and in better shape but i don't think he can stay consistent the whole season. his age will show.

my predictions, assuming all the key players stay healthy:

mvp: lebron james
defensive player of the year: dwight howard
rookie of the year: blake griffin

western conference finals: lakers vs spurs
western conference champs: lakers 4-1

eastern conference finals: celtics vs magic
eastern conference champs: celtics win 4-1

nba champs: lakers win 4-2
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
Again...initial NBA post without mention of the Jazz. Come on.....

Assuming they don't lead the league in player games lost to injury, the Jazz will contend for the Northwest and be a player in the West.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Boozer, who I assume they will be letting go for nothing more than salary cap relief at the end of the season(as opposed to trying to get something of value before the trade deadline).
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-26-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
i don't think the jazz will be a threat at all. i think booze will be gone by trade deadline. and isn't korver out for a while?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-26-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
and for the record, i knew you'd chime in w/ a jazz outlook report.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-26-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
check it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WEDi_CcHcI
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-26-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
Korver goes under the knife(scope?) tomorrow to take care of some bone spurs in his knee. I assume 4 weeks....though they have not said anything.

That doesn't mention that C.J. Miles is out with a dislocated thumb.... Where we had some depth, we now are thin....

Starting the season just how we left off.....

Not sure about Boozer being gone at the deadline. It is hard to believe that the Jazz are going to take on any contracts.... This is the first year they have EVER been in the luxury tax and they have no intention on staying there. I "think" they will be there next year, even with the Boozer contract off the books.

They get the Knicks #1....plus their own next year.....bla..bla..bla... So long story short, don't know if they are going to try to get any value for Boozer or just let that run its course. Assuming his attitude is not a locker room issue, which I think it is.....

GO JAZZ!
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       10-26-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
"though w/ batum out for who knows how long, it might be tough for the blazers."

It's a tough loss, but Martell is back, and Outlaw is always tough. This WILL be the year of the Trailblazers.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-26-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
The Spurs are the team to beat. Manu is healthy. Jefferson will be awesome, especially with Parker finding him. Duncan may be 33, but he has never relied on athleticism. So age will not affect his game as much as it would others. McDyess was a big pickup as well. Plus Dejaun Blair will be a beast off the bench.

Oh, and if it sounds like I am on some soapbox, I am not -- I hate the Spurs!! But they will be tough.

Lakers are not mentally tough enough to repeat. They will implode at some point.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-26-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   

quote:

Lakers are not mentally tough enough to repeat. They will implode at some point.

people said that last year, saying the lakers wouldn't win the west again.

seriously dude? 2 final appearances in a row and you don't think they're "mentally tough enough to repeat"?

(Message edited by dakid on October 26, 2009)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-26-2009, 10:16 PM Reply   
i might have to find a new rookie of the year winner. blake griffin is out 6wks due to a patella stress fracture.
Old    murrayair            10-26-2009, 10:54 PM Reply   
Ah, my favorite thread of each year is back! All is well in the world.

Looks like Odom has become the clear front-runner for 6th Man, at least according to most journalists. The Lakers mental toughness is at an all time high. Did you see how determined they were last season? They have done nothing in the off-season to lessen their determination, and the chemistry of this team is better than any Lakers team that Kobe's been on to date. Implode? Not a chance.

I highly doubt that Artest will do anything to damage the intra-team relationships. He's playing for a team he's wanted to play on for years, with his best friend in the league (Odom) and it's his first job with a real championship contender. Add to that Phil's ability to motivate even the most stubborn of players and Kobe's indominable willpower, and you have him fitting right in to a repeat team.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       10-27-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
Go Blazers!! Oden is going to beast this season
Old    sperbet            10-27-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
Rookie of the Year = Tyreke Evans
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-27-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
"Lakers are not mentally tough enough to repeat. They will implode at some point."

Only a matter of time, haaa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZ0B854hrE
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   

quote:

By Sean (slax303) on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 9:32 am: Edit Post Delete Post

Go Blazers!! Oden is going to beast this season

i'm a big fan of brandon roy and lamarcus aldridge, but oden? not so much. he looks really clumsy and uncoordinated. and blazer fans have been saying that he's going to be a beast since he came out of tOSU.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
only issue lakers will have is health and the kardashian kurse.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-27-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
Blake Griffen is out for at least six weeks so there goes that prediction.
Old    murrayair            10-27-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
I hope Adam Morrison gets to play more this season. I think he has potential to be good off the bench. Plus, he's getting payed $5.3 million and it would be nice to see him earn it.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-27-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
"The Lakers mental toughness is at an all time high. Did you see how determined they were last season? They have done nothing in the off-season to lessen their determination...."

Winning a championship creates complacency. Last year the Lakers were motivated by the spanking the Celts gave them.

The Spurs have more consistent players than the Lakers. Plus the Spurs are more motivated this year than the Lakers will be.

Something will happen to the Lakers this year -- injury, suspension, etc. -- and it will be a "we would have won if only (?)....." year for the Lakers.

Teams that could make the leap this year are the Jazz with a healthy Deron Williams. I saw him fairly up close against the Lakers last year in the playoffs and he abused D. Fisher like Ike did Tina. And I like the Hornets with Okafor. If CP3 can make Tyson Chandler into a good player, he can make Okafor an allstar.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   

quote:

By John Gardner (roverjohn) on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:17 am:

Blake Griffen is out for at least six weeks so there goes that prediction.

in case you missed it...

quote:

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 10:16 pm:

i might have to find a new rookie of the year winner. blake griffin is out 6wks due to a patella stress fracture.

quote:

By jason (hbguy) on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 12:04 pm:

Something will happen to the Lakers this year -- injury, suspension, etc. -- and it will be a "we would have won if only (?)....." year for the Lakers.

every team says that. take the celtics last year for example, w/ garnett being injured.

as for the spurs being more motivated, that may be true, but the same could be said for the lakers, to prove the naysayers wrong.

i don't think the jazz have enough to go all the way. korver's out for who knows how long...and he's huge on that team. kirilenko's not like he used to be, and is injury prone. boozer's on his way out. deron's a beast, but he can't carry the team on his own.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Blake Griffen missed time in preseason and now the kneecap, bad news for ROY candidate and a team i thought would compete for most improved. Complacency will not be an issue for the lakers, practices have been the most spirited in years w/ kobe and artest going against each other.
In the West....Lakers, Nuggets or Spurs and then the Blazers. Out of the East the aging Celtics will finish ahead of the Cavs because Shaq and the rest of the supporting cast wont be enuff. King James will have to be satisfied with just another MVP.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
The Jazz do not need D. Williams to carry them. They are a solid young team, that has a ton of experience. DWill, Boozer, Millsap, Klinko, Memo, Brewer, Korver & Miles.... Question is if the kids...Koufos, Fes and Maynor can contribute. Ronnie Price is energy, but I never know what is going on with him and Jerry Sloan...

Boozer is playing for a contract. The exact one he thought he would get this Summer. Again, not sure he is on the way out before the end of the season and he is a solid 20/10 every time he hits the floor healthy.

Klinko added like 20 lbs and looks great. He had a MUCH better season last year and looks to be gaining back confidence. I think he is going to have a year.

Korver is fine, just had bone spurs removed...it is not like he had some reconstruction.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Oh....and that is not to say the Jazz are a front runner for a run at the Championship, but they have the horses to rattle some cages.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
i see your point ej, but i just don't see them rattling to many cages. i could be wrong tough...they could be the "bcs buster" of the nba.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
Jazz will need to decide who their powerforward is and figure out how to win on the road this year.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
Hard to believe that Boozer is not the starting power forward. Millsap is good, but he is not Boozer good.....

Winning on the road will come with commitment to the defensive end. If they do not do that, might as well pack it in early.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
ej, i agree...millsap isn't at the level that boozer's in. and yeah, they need to win on the road!

ej, i'm curious what you think of the other teams? do you think the lakers will/can repeat? do you think shaq's presence/game will have that much of an impact for the cavs? do you think the hornets are a player or two short of being a legitimate threat to take the west? do you agree that the biggest threat for the lakers in the west are the spurs? do you think denver was a one-and-done team, that their best chance was last year? do you agree that the celtics will take the east? what about orlando, do you think they have a shot at going back to the finals w/o hedo turkoglu and courtney lee?
Old    murrayair            10-27-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
I agree. Boozer would be a better choice for a starter. Although maybe they are putting him on the bench to give their second string a strong leader, much like the Lakers did with Lamar Odom last year.

I really don't see the Lakers falling into complacency this season. Championships sometimes breed complacency, but not regularly. More often, championship teams are kept from repeating by injury or the betterment of other teams. The chance of a catastrophic injury happening to the Lakers is the same as it is for any other team. It's impossible to accurately predict which teams will succumb to injury and which won't.

Even with all the off-season trading that went on this year, I still think the Lakers are the best team in the league. The Spurs upgrades won't be enough to compensate for their aging stars and the Shaq-to-Cleavland effect is overrated. I think the team that can give the Lakers the best run for the money is the Celtics, although aging big men like KG are never the same after a significant injury.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-27-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
I can't wait for the season to start. The warriors will be great to watch. I have given up on winning I just want the soap opera to continue. If you love caos you will love the warriors!
Plus no defense!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
i think the keys to lakers repeating as champs come down to two things: staying healthy and bynum. he played well in the pre-season and was (sort of) dominant pre-injury last year. he needs to play like that all year this year. he needs to start earning his pay!

and yeah, most championship teams don't improve their teams the following year. most maintain the status quo or worse, they tear the team apart. not the lakers...they got better by signing ron artest!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
mike, apparently, stephen jackson's had a change of heart since his suspension. we'll see how long that lasts! i don't see nelson at the helm at the end of the year though. i think he'll get fed up and say, "i'm outta here!"
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-27-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
Joe,
All I want to see is Anthony Morrow get 7 looks from 3 point range a game. If you don't know about Morrow you will when he wins the three point shoot out this year. I wish I could be as confident about the rest of the team. If anyone wants Jackson please take him!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
*****....just typed out AT LEAST a half page of opinion on the Lakers, Spurs and Cleveland....and it "timed out" and when I backed, everything is gone!!!!!!!

Leaving work......will respond later...
Old     (braap13)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-27-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Joe, Nelly likes his money way too much to do that. Plus, he is only 25 or so wins from the all-time coaching record, and that will take him pretty much the whole season to reach.

As always, the warriors are going to be incredibly exciting to watch, with some very talented young players. Morrow has the best stroke in the league, randolph is crazy athletic, ellis, curry. My favorite player is azubuike because of his story to get into the league and his effort on the court. However, the young guys won't translate to wins because the defense is terrible and we still have Jackson hogging the ball and being the head case he is.

On the Lakers, the only thing I wonder is if the defense is good enough. I see Fisher, Gasol, and Artest as being below average defenders. I don't know if Artest will be able to guard the quick small forwards anymore. Fisher is also slow. We saw how the Rockets pushed the lakers in the playoffs last year with a small, quick lineup. They lost their better (best?) perimeter defender in Ariza and added a slower Artest, with one more year of age in the knees of the older guys.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
i saw Stephen Jackson completely self destruct in an early preseason game..like 5 fouls and a tech in the 1st qtr...but yeah exciting to watch.
Wait, Artest below average defender? he is a past defensive player of the year and on multiple all defense 1st team.
The Jazz payed Milsap like a starter so it seems they dont expect the better player, Boozer to stick around.
Chris paul is the guy expected to carry a team, and can. But, Peja cant stay stay on the floor, Rasul Butler and Tyson Chandler are gone. Posey, West and CP3=not enough.
Portland has a ton of young talent and getting better, if Roy can stay healthy and Oden plays up to what was expected they will be good.
Dallas, I know they are getting older...but are the Mavs getting better or are they getting worse?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
Cliff notes version-
Lakers far and away the choice in the West. That said, as a Lakers fan I would have been happy to keep Ariza and not pick up Artest.

Luckily Pau and Odom appear to have zero ego on the court. Because if Artest is not getting his touches and shots, he is going to pout and become a distraction IMO.

Long story short with that, Ariza was PERFECT for that team. Artest is not Ariza.

Next is the Spurs....assuming they stay healthy. Love Timmy, love Parker, HATE Ginobili(but he is a PLAYER)...those three with Pop can carry a team. It will be interesting to see what Jefferson does there, I have always liked him.

Then Denver/Portland/Utah. Not impressed with Dallas or NO.

As far as the East -
Cavs are the cream IMO. Closely followed by the Celtics, then a decent drop to the Magic....

Are there more teams than that in the East?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   

quote:

By Darrel F (95sn) on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 4:44 pm:

The Jazz payed Milsap like a starter so it seems they dont expect the better player, Boozer to stick around.

Or are so worried that the fragile Boozer will get hurt that they played him sparingly during the pre-season. But he started every game.

Added bonus, Millsap is young and has a lot to learn.

Again, I just don't see them taking on any contracts. They already have 55ish M wrapped up in 8 players next year....and will option another million for Koufos. So unless they get expiring contracts, the Jazz are not going to take 12M in salary past this year.....

Again, that doesn't count the 2 first rounders they will get next year(hopefully that NYK will be VERY HIGH)....and the Brewer extension/match that is going to happen.

So, point is, they are already going to be over the cap next year without the Boozer contract.... Read my lips... "NO MORE SALARY"
Old    murrayair            10-27-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Anyone watching the Cavs/Celtics game? I'm not near a tv right now. How is Shaq looking?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
artest a "below average defender"? wow! PLEASE explain!
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-27-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
"Posey, West and CP3=not enough"

What about Okafor?
Old    murrayair            10-27-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
I managed to catch the last 1.5 quarters of the Cavs/Celtics game. Lebron looked like Lebron, Shaq seemed to have a lot of energy (at least, for Shaq). Sheed didn't shoot so well and put up two airballs in the short time that I watched. KG looked pretty good, although maybe a little less explosive than he was pre-injury.

The ending had potential to be exciting, but Cleveland couldn't pull close enough. I wasn't terribly impressed with the Cavs. Next up: Lakes and Clips!
Old     (braap13)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-27-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Maybe I am wrong here... but I just don't think Artest can keep up with the quick small forwards. Yeah he can muscle up the power forwards, but he is not being asked to do that in LA. But he gambles too much, the quicker players can go around him when he tries to crowd them, does not play the pick and roll well, etc. Basically I feel that he has lost quickness and quicker players will be able to drive by him.
Old    murrayair            10-27-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
Great game from the Lakers tonight (even if it was just against the Clippers). Nice to see them running their offense primarily through Bynum and nice to see him step up to the occasion.

Artest had a slow start, and never got his shooting game going, but ended up with a solid performance. He seemed to fit right in. I don't have any worries about his chemistry with the rest of the team.

Farmar is starting this season much better than he ended last season. He had some good plays and looked very solid.

Kobe's post game looked really impressive. Looks like all that work he's been doing with Hakeem The Dream has payed off.

I love Fish to death, but he has got to pick up his shooting game. He was ice cold tonight on offense. He put in a solid defensive game, though.

It seemed like the refs were being a little more strict with the 3-second rule than usual. Not problematic, just something to watch.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2009, 11:30 PM Reply   
i'm gonna have to get cable so i can watch this season....did anyone catch that interview with lebron when he said he felt like he was in the 80's with all of the stacked ass teams in the league right now? i thought it was comical.

the lakers are gonna be tough, can't wait to see them play the Spurs.

celtics are gonna be super tough. i think rasheed's gonna put them over the top. I dont think anyone can touch The Big 4.

gonna be an interesting season...
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-28-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Bynum put up numbers, although for being 9'7 he probably has a 3 inch vertical leap

Anyone surprised to Dallas get beat!!?

Anyone read about Antoine Walker. What a complete moron.

(Message edited by mjfan23 on October 28, 2009)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-28-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
IMO the Lakers will dominate this year.

Good luck to everyone else.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-28-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
if bynum stays healthy and plays the rest of the season the way he played last night, yeah, the lakers will dominate. he's probably more motivated than ever after forbes listed him as one of the most overpaid players in the nba.

artest looked ok last night. he seemed to not force anything last night so that's good, but he also seemed lost in the offense a few times. it's early so i'm not worried. learning a new system and playing w/ a whole new group of guys don't happen overnight.

lamar marrying a kardashian might be a blessing in disguise. he seemed to have been showing off to his new bride last night.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-28-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
"lamar marrying a kardashian might be a blessing in disguise. he seemed to have been showing off to his new bride last night."
as i watched him, i thought the same thing. He was much more aggresive than in the past.
Nice road win for the celtics last night. Cavs still look like Lebron and a bunch of other guys.
Old    murrayair            10-28-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Totally agree with your last sentence, Darrel. It's just the Lebron show with a few side acts.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-28-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Yeah Joe, Bynum looked pretty damn good last night and Lamar was defiantly showing off his skills.

Artest plays strong D and that's what the lakers need from him, but he did look a little lost a few times.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-28-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
I am predicting 38-44 for the warriors. I would love to be 500 but that is asking way too much. We will see in six months how close I am.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-28-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   

quote:

By Jeff (innov8) on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 2:01 pm:
Artest plays strong D and that's what the lakers need from him, but he did look a little lost a few times.

There in lies the problem with Artest. I think that is exactly right, the Lakers are not a team looking for someone to score points.

Rest assured, Artest wants his shots, he wants his touches....and if he doesn't get them....

Now I am not bagging on the Lakers. I think they are the team to beat. Not only in the West, but the NBA. It is the Lakers and everyone else. But that move still strikes me as odd.

I still keep Ariza for less money.....

(Message edited by Deuce on October 28, 2009)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-28-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
ej, the lakers wanted to keep ariza as well, but ariza's agent played hardball.

i thought both ariza and artest signed identical contracts?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-28-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
EJ, Ariza turned down virtually the same contract Artest was happy to sign. Ariza had the first opportunity to stay with a team that has a potential for multiple titles. He ended up on a team w/o Yao,McGrady or a chance to win for the same $$. Brilliant negotiating right there.
After Artest signed, many said he was underpaid. Artest replied something to the effect of..If you cant live on $5 million a year you have serious problems.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-28-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
Damn, Umali beat me with the info.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-28-2009, 6:01 PM Reply   
Yes, the same....almost identical....starting at 5.9, going to about 7.7 in year 5. Artest can opt out I believe in 3 years....?

For some reason, I was thinking that Artest was about a quarter million more a year, but that is not the case.

Even = money, who do you Laker fans take....Ariza or Artest?
Old    murrayair            10-28-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
I have to admit, my first choice would have been to keep Ariza because he fit so well into the way the Lakers play. At first, I was a little upset that he didn't come back, but the more I have been thinking about Artest over the last few months, the more I like the idea of him on the team. Really, I would be just as happy with one as with the other.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-28-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
I'm kind of torn with artest. I can see your point of view EJ in that his ego might get the best of him. But i think he is going to do whatever it takes to get a ring, even if that means taking lesser of a role and just be a strong supporting cast member. I loved Ariza, so pissed to see him go but I think Artest can match his intensity.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-28-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
artest match ariza's intensity? you think ariza's more intense than artest?

if i was guaranteed that he wouldn't have a blow-up, i'd take artest. otherwise, it's a toss-up. artest is much better on paper, but with his past attitude issues, it's a risk.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-28-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
EXACTLY... Talent alone, for this year....I take Artest no question.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-28-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
That didn't come out right, what i meant to say was match his play in regards to defense. Others above doubted Artest's speed on defense versus Arizas. I think Artest will fill in great. Its going to be interesting to see his play develop with the lakers.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-28-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
Nice first 3 quarters for the Jazz.....

Nice collapse in the 4th....

Play some *****in D....and toughen up. GOD I bet it drives Jerry Sloan NUTS to watch some of these pussies....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-28-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
watching it i thought, "ej's gotta be goin' nuts!" haha!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-29-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
some excerpts from Tim Donaghy's book about NBA refs... pretty crazy stuff (if true)

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-29-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
^^ interesting read.
Old    dperizzolo            10-29-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
The Raptors are undefeated ha ha ha, we should probably take a picture of that.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-29-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
Man I watched the warrior game last night. That was pretty tough to watch. Lots of me first. It looks like I picked a bad time to stop drinking hard alcohol. It is going to be tough to stomach these games sober!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-29-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
i'm a little concerned w/ the lakers' schedule - 17 of first 21 games are at home. that just means more road games towards the latter part of the season!
Old    murrayair            10-29-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Not sure what the deal with that is. Not to start any conspiracy theories, but could it be that the league wants to tire out the Champs right before the post season to make things a little closer? Hmmmm, lol. It's almost certainly a coincidence, but it's still annoying.
Old    murrayair            10-29-2009, 10:46 PM Reply   
Looks like the Spurs aren't as good as they looked on paper. Although Duncan was money on those banked 15 footers.

I was shocked that the Nuggets were able to mount a come back in the 4th. The Blazers looked like they were on their way to an easy victory with about 8mins left.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-30-2009, 6:01 AM Reply   
It is only 2 games, but Carmelo looks like he is ready to take his game to the next level.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-30-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Joe and Sly, doesn't this happen every year because of some Circus production that comes through the Staples Center?
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-30-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
For laker's fans with the schedule I look at it the other way. If you build up a huge lead in the west you will be able to rest your players towards the end of the season.
Old    murrayair            10-30-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
You might be right. Maybe it's better to have your easy games first, while you're still working out all the kinks. It'll give Artest time to adjust to the triangle.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-30-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
I like the way Mike BCP is thinkin! Not to late to jump off the sinking Warrior ship.
Im more concerned about the Laker bench and their production (except for Odom) than i am about Artest.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-30-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
Mavs at Lakers tonight, cant wait.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-30-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
Darrel, maybe Sasha will finally live up to his nick name
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-30-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
yes, The Machine, AND Farmar, Shannon Brown and Walton need to step up this season. Adam Morrison is terrible. Mbenga just makes me chuckle, hes really not that bad.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-30-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
Is it just me or has Lebron trimmed up a little bit? I know he is already a rock, but after watching some highlights it seems his face as well as arms have thinned out some. Maybe I'm just seeing things...
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-30-2009, 10:11 PM Reply   
Nope not jumping off the warriors bandwagon. Watched game 2 tonight much worse then the first game. The worst thing is for your favorite team to have players you can't stand. And I can't stand Maggette and Jackson.
But I have stuck with them for 15 years and when or if they are ever going to be good it will be great. Better then lame fans who just pick a team that is good as there team. (No offense to laker fans who are from or live in LA).