Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-30-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
Today after a great morning on the lake, I pulled the ultimate rookie move and jumped into the lake with my truck keys in my boardshort pocket. Usually no big deal, but the pocket was un-zipped. Had to call AAA and pay $90 for a locksmith to come out and open my truck and make me a new key.
P.S.-To make my day even more expensive, I also lost a pair of Electric sunglasses to the lake.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-30-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
looks like you need to buy some floats for your keys and sunnies.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-30-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
Ouch! I feel for ya. Last week I got the urge to jump in and cool off before I took the drivers seat on the next pull. For some dumb reason I forgot to take my glasses, prescription not sunglasses, off. And there they went down to the bottom. At least some fish can see now.
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-30-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Ha
Try leaving the boat keys on the back bumper of the truck on the way to the lake and having them fall off.
Lucky I carry a Spare Set. Now I have to order more keys.

Oh and left the boat running until the wipe area.
So I also have to get a new impeller.
Just not a very good day.
But hey the water and weather were great today so I cant really complain.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-30-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
If it makes you feel better, last summer I jumped into the water and had my brand new Razr cellphone in my pocket. Dumb.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
I saw a guy using one of these one time:

Upload

He was retrieving wrenches, keys, even a bike with it.
Available for about $40 from this place:

http://www.nauticalia.com

Maybe a worthwhile investment - last time I had to get a new key for a Ford truck it cost about $200.

Old    bocephus            04-30-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
It is mandatory that you pay homage to the lake/river gods and offer them something of value each year (if not outing). I have been feeding the golden calf for years now...All my keys float, my cell phone stays in the truck, my digital camera is good to 100 feet, and I always make sure my girlfriend has at least $100 on her at all times.....
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-30-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Have your trucks door locks wired to two screws in the wheel well. All you do is to touch both of the screw heads together and your doors will unlock, that way you never have to take your keys out on the boat. Been doing this for years. Hunting, fishing or going to the beach.
Old    murrayair            04-30-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
I've lost my fair share of keys, glasses, etc. to the lake over the years, but recently my problem has been leaving things in other peoples boat. Not quite as bad as giving stuff to the fishies, but it still sucks having to wait a few weeks to get it back.
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-30-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
Ramhouse could you explain that alittle bit better. Do you have directions
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-30-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
I don't know how, a friend of mine does it for me. I have a new truck and need it done. I will aks him how he does it. I think that he wires it to the door lock solinoid, but not sure.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-30-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
I know my buddy has lost 3 pairs of titanium oakley's in the lake, haha. My keys, wallet, cell phone, ipod, camera all go in the glove box before the boat leaves launch
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-01-2006, 6:30 AM Reply   
Richard - I am curious too!!

As for keys, a girl friend of mine dropped my keys (work, home, lake house, etc, etc) into 11 feet of water at the marina one time. I know, I shouldnt have had all of those keys on the boat anyway, but a hard lesson was learned. 5 of us dove down tons of times for 30 minutes. After she finished crying because she felt so bad, she dove down also. Came up after the first dive with the keys in her hand. MIRACLE!!! And to top it off, my remote still worked to unlock my car
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-01-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
DC, this one's for you:

Upload
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-01-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
We were at the launch ramp unloading people one morning when my mom drooped the keys in the good old delta water. The boat was maybe six inches from the ramp and as my mom was stepping over when the keys fell out of her hooded sweatshirt pocket and between the boat and the dock.

Later in the day my dad got one of those magnets like the one posted above went out to the spot right off the end of the ramp and on his second try retreived the keys. They were for a chevy suburban and had the keyless entry on them. My dad simply opened up the unit and let them dry out and they have been working fine ever since.

i guess we were lucky that we had a point of refference for dropping the magnet.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-01-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Drive a Ford with the keypad for entry. Lock your keys in the car. That way if everything else goes badly, you still have your car keys.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-01-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Worst case scenario, use a boat speaker on a long line. Those things have a nice strong magnet. You should be pretty desperate though!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
dropped my cell in about 5.5 ft water. couldnt see a damn thing. wadded around for about 25-20 min and found it. let it dry for about a day and worked just fine.
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-02-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
Richard tell us How to do it.
That sound so cool.
Old     (oldcentury76)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-02-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
my guess (to unlock the doors) would be to attach a wire on each side of the door unlock switch to two different screws. then when you put a wire between the two screws it would complete the circuit and unlock the doors. just like hitting the switch.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-02-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
greg,

sorry to hear about that, but how did the FISH end up working out for you,

Glen

(Message edited by slipknot on May 02, 2006)