Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-03-2011, 7:07 PM Reply   
i just bought my first inboard (05"23' Enzo) and live in Erie PA. i have never seen anyone wakesufing in the lake so i did some searching on how the boat and fish commission feels about it. all i could find on the surf sites was old stuff from 04', 05' talking about PA making wakesurfing illegal.
i found this and it is from Feb. 2011 and it states that wakesufing is legal. i plan on having a copy on my boat with me.

Lake Erie around here is heavily patrolled by: boat and fish, coast guard, border patrol, and state police boats all aggressively bording boats.

how much trouble do you guys get about the boats being over weighted?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PA wakesurfing law.pdf (129.7 KB, 342 views)
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-06-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
You'll probably have to educate them. Nicely tell them it's a new sport and show them the papers, show them your surf rope is 20ft long, and I thought the boat's 'capacity sticker' was a guidline not a absolute rule on boats over 20'???? Might be the final part of the equation. Of course don't be drinking and have your safety kit ready to go for inspection. On lake Erie I believe you need flares compared to inner small lakes you don't. Always be curteous to small boats.

Good thing about the Enzo is all you need is an enzo sac Under the seats and it's doesn't slam the boat to get a big wave. Sounds like you got it covered
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-06-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
thanks Joe. i have been boating on lake erie sore a few year but in I/Os. you do need flares, a throw-able flotation device, signaling device, ect. there is just so many agencies here to pull us over.
i was not aware of the capacity being a suggested capacity but i will look it up. im sure im going to get stopped but with this doc. i should be ok.
Old     (pwo)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-15-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the link to the doc. I haven't had the chance to go out surfing yet but was wondering if I'd get stopped when I did. I'll keep this handy as well just in case.