Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
To all,

I wanted to let you know what happen last night with me wakeboard and two boats racing on Lake McQueeney so you too could be on the look out for the boat\people in my story below.

At about 7:40 p.m. last night (6-11-2007) I had fallen while wakeboarding. As usual the drive of the boat was making the turn to pick me up in front of us about 900 yards (estimating) two boats (white pickled fork boat and dark blue direct drive with a tower) started racing with a clear view of my boat and me in the water. The direct drive was the one closest to my boat and as they started racing the direct drive hit some wakes and became nose up and this time the boat had to be doing 50+ (again estimating) and no slow down insight even though he knew there was a boat with a down skier in the water. By the time I saw the boat straight up and down and not slowing down I tried to swim to get behind my boat for fear I was going to be hit. When the boat passed me it was no more than 10 yards away from me and my boat.

I tried to wakeboard again but could not as my nerves were too rattled. I got back into the boat and went to look for them to get some sort or reason why he thought a race was more important than the life of a human. When we confronted the drive in the boat and had a heat exchange of words. I found out his reason was that he was an owner of a boat shop in town called X-tream boats and that according to him he had complete control of his boat. Also it was my fault because I was wakeboarding to late (8 pm).

I have filed a report with the Sheriffs office but also wanted to let as many people know about this guy and his boat so everyone can be safe.

Thanks
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-12-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
I this who you are talking about?

http://www.extremepowersportssa.com/
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that man! I hate having a 'scared' feeling while trying to do what relaxes me most...wakeboarding. We had a fishermen chase us down one time. We got the Sheriff on the phone and he told the fishermen it was his fault and to leave us alone...but being right doesn't make it fun. Hope this dude has a race with a slightly underwater rock in the lake sometime. See how 'in control' he is then.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
(referring to website posted above) If so, we should all call his phone number and give him some crap :-)
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Shane,

Nah, there website is http://www.skiproboats.com/home.php

Yeah Loren, it was not a cool feeling
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-12-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
I think that the Wake World community should take some action. There was a punk kid over on Pirate4x4 that got what was coming to him. If this was really the owner of Skipro boats he needs to get a dose for himself....
Old     (rickykamberra)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-12-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
Thats sucks man, sorry to hear. I actually have those people doing some glass work on my boat right now. Almost makes me want to go get my sh** from them and go somewhere else.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-12-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Wow.... glad to hear you're alright. If that was the owner or employee of the company then he should know better. Part of the responsibility of owning or being associated with a company is to know that your actions not only represent you, but your whole company. What a clown. I'm sure nobody on here is going to rush out and buy one of their boats after hearing stuff like that.

Rick... I'd let them finish your boat, then mention to them that you'd heard about what happens. Let him understand that the world is a small place and that he should be a bit more respectful.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-12-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
Had some similar stuff, although not as close, happen a few weekends ago on Havasu. We were floating with line in switching riders and a large deck boat and another boat approached us. The deck boat split us and the shore but for a very long time the boat was heading straight for us and the driver was too busy looking down at the floor or something. He swerved at the last second, only missing us by about 50 ft.

As a consolation, his buddy flipped us off. Deck boat full of dudes (sausage party).

It made us way too nervous to ride. Next day an airplane buzzed too close only about 15 ft off the water. Too much for one weekend.
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
I agree with Brad. Let's Wenzel him!
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Yeah, it was kinda sad when I talked to the sheriff he knew excatly who he was.

I guess this is a norm for him but they have not been able to catch him in the act.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-12-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
Sent a nice email, will wait to see the response.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
what a dumbf%&k. I'm sure its hard enough to sell i/o's to skiers and boarders as it is. Why not take this opportunity to piss of a potential client? some people just don't get it...

Last night, some donkey kept buzzing by us in a 2001. the first time, we were within 200' of shore, they came within about 50' of us,i just wrote it off as them trying to find some water. The second time, we were several hundred yards away and here they come again.

Stay safe out there. For every one of us, there's 10 that don't know and don't care.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
He must be cool in order to have a picture of him powerturning.

Upload
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
I was just informed it was not the owner of the shop even though he claimed to be. Though is affiliated in some way.

The drivers name will be given to the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Game Wardens.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-12-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
maybe he only sells to the Hot Boat crowd.....
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
"Each boat is tested for both quality and performance by the company's owners and will leave the factory only after meeting the highest level of inspections."

Nice to know you give all the new boats the DB test.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
it may just be me, do these boats just look silly to anyone else? Like the bow is from a 17' binliner and the from cockpit back is from a completely different long and narrow POS.

Maybe they started at the transom and then said "oh snap, we forgot the steering wheel, lets put the cockpit in the bow".

does anyone else see this?
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
Nah, I thought the same thing when I looked at it. When we were getting into it he tried to rag on my 2006 X-1.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-12-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
Hey Mike I was out last night on McQueeney too. I was out untill dark.} I would of been pissed if this happened to anyone on my boat. I'll def keep an eye out for them. Thanks for the heads up.
Old    00wakesetter            06-12-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
was the guys name shawn?
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
I am not sure it was an older guy who was driving I would say 60ish with a bunch of younger guys mid 20's to early 20's
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-12-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
on the delta it is very common for boats to get close to you but they always give the sign that they see you and your skier and are watching out. LAME to not be courteouse. Boating is about fun and being nice to others. I hate it when people dont wave either LOL
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
with the delta, you pretty much have no choice though. its so narrow in alot of places. sounds like this guy had the rest of the lake to be racing his boat around.
Old     (svguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-12-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
The video on their web site is hilarious. Clearly the boat excells at things that most of our boats can't do. It can pull a boarder in reverse, do a massive power turn, and of course, it can pull the all important wheelie. These are the criteria I usually have in the back of my mind when I'm looking for a towboat!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
who the hell would buy one of these?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-12-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
yea the delta is crowded and narrow so I just make sure I look out for everyone and if someone falls in front of me and I cant safely pass I will just stop and wait. its the right thing to do.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
because nothing is cooler than being a d!ck to other people on the lake nacho, DUH
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
check out the video on their site, it starts out by saying
"...ski pro does not endorse or promote wreckless behavior while boating"

hypocrites
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
Caleb, That would then be called false advertising. Right?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
haha, yeah we can put that right under "world class wakes" on the false advertising list.

ive seen bigger wakes on a sea doo
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
I just watched the video and how that boat was straight up and down is how they were right next to me with rollers everywhere. One bad roller and I don't think I would be typing this right now.

As far as our lake size it is very narrow in most part but the part they we racing in they could have easliy given us room or shut it down in a timely manner.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-12-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
did he do this past you?
Upload
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
yep, if not even more up and down.

Also, I want to thank any of you who have voice your concerns to people who work at this company. I have been told they have been hearing a lot about this issue.

Maybe now the will think next time before the race there boat up and down the lake.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
He can't defend his driving last night with all that crazy driving on their promo video.

If you tow a wakeboarder in reverse do you need a spotter?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
somebody should hyperlink this thread and email it to the manufacturer...
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-12-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
i call them tomorow and make them lose 1 hour i will let them know that i want to buy one of these crappy boat but after let them explain me all the boat i will tell them that what i am looking for is a toyota echo
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-12-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
Learn how to be a jackstick by watching there promo video. I wish my boat could do wheelies like that.

That was some of the dumbest stuff I have ever seen.
Old     (face_plant)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-12-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
this is one of there boats called "salt cat" i that it is stuck on a stomp.Upload
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-12-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
Whoever does their PR should be fired, and their lawyers have obviously never seen that ad
Old     (jifffy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
What an idiot, not only did he almost kill you but he also told you the name of the shop he's affiliated with. This is going to be great for their business; watch their phones stop ringing as word spreads. Not to mention those boats look like complete piles of
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
One part I missed earlier (I was so bored by the vid I couldn't bare to watch the end of it) was 2 guys jumping out of the boat (doing about 20 mph). About 4 secs from the end of the video.

There's a marketting line for you - 'these boats are so great people can jump out of them'. Or is it that the boats are so crap people want to jump out?

So much irresponsibility in the vid it's no suprise that the owner/employee was driving like a jerk last night.
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-13-2007, 4:53 AM Reply   
A lot of the video looks like is was shot on our lake.

I don't know if he ask to have it shut down during the video or just went ahead and did it anyway
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
i'm glad you're ok. you're very lucky. personally, i'd be tempted to report them to whatever agency commissions/oversees their sales licensing. let them crawl up their a$$ for awhile!
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-13-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
They are that guy on the lake. Everything on that video is how not to drive a boat. The boat design looks like some what of a jetboat with an open bow and a tower. Hey lets do wheelies in a boat...awesome...NOT. They mention of having good wakes..yeah right with a boat that bounces on the water like that no freakin way. I nominated that company for super DB of the year. Mike glad your alright.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
I was always confused by their ad in WakeMag, with the boat doing a "wheelie". Didn't really make sense why you would promote your boat having trouble planeing out, but this has allowed me to see the light. No one will buy that crap anyway, once the bank sees they're not making money, bye bye loan.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-13-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
What a tool!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-13-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Has anyone talked to the owner of the company? It sounds like he has an ahole for an employee and needs to insert his boot into said employee's rear end.

I realized that their boats don't fit our needs but if I had never wakeboarded and didn't spend everyday on this site I would probably think their boats were cool. What go fast boat wantabe wouldn't want a boat that could do a wheely. By no means am I condoning this ahole's behavior or reckless endangerment of a fellow wakeworld member just contributing my .02.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-13-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Message sent.

Just guessing, but the poster claims the driver was older, 60ish. How many sales rep are in that age bracket? Could be the owner, who was at the helm.
That video, will be used for lawsuits in the future, as soon as someone injures themselves, replicating what they saw in the promo video-used by the dealership. It's merely a matter of time. Foolish promo's, foolish reps driving, they have no idea what they are doing in either one.
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-13-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
Ron,

I am not sure if anyone has talked to the owner. I know the people at the shop know about the issue. Though I have not been contacted at all.

As far as their boats, I sure they are ok but it was kind of funny they started ragging on my Mastercaft right away. I am not saying I have the best boat but it does the job. So again it just shows the level of people I was dealing with.
Old    00wakesetter            06-13-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
I just watched the vid, and you have got to be kidding me!! Theese guys saw i was trying to sell my boat (06 Tige 22ve) and called me because they said they wanted some wakeboard boats on the showroom floor to try and bring pepole in so they could sell em on theese extreme boats. Im glad i didnt do it now.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-13-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
Man that chaps my ass to hear about that. Where I boat some people are complete idiots. People that get some $ go and buy something when the boat show comes to town. Then make absolutely no effort to learn proper boating skills/etiquette. When you buy a motorcycle at least you have to go through a basic safety course, why not one for boats?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-13-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
that sucks Mike. Devin was telling me about that incident yesterday...
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-13-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Nice Powerturn!
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-13-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
That video was ridiculous. It seemed like it was promoting unsafe boating practices too me. And those are the ugliest boats I have seen.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
The true question now is: Is there anyone registered with this forum that has this boat? I'll bet no one raises their hand!!!!!
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-13-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
ay last summer we rode a McQueeney becouse the boat lake was low at tsr so they took us up there n its not a very good lake to be raceing on anyways its way to tight and the wakes hit the cement walls n its like an ocean i dont really like that lake i dont feel safe on it even befor all this its just to tight for me i did like the skiers with no jackets jumpin the wake it was pretty funny
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-13-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
sick em' boys!

Upload
Old    alanp            06-13-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
email sent if anyone else desires to send a message here is the address

erza@extremeskiboats.com
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-13-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
what a joke, i love the slow mo of the girl in the green bikini pulling her hair back and laying in the sun, man that makes me want to buy that boat..and who the HELL0 in their right MIND would want to wakeboard BACKWORDS?

found a photo of the two guys jumping off @ the end of the video..
Upload
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-13-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Ok guys, I am going to go ride again tonight hopefully there will not be any issues.

Wish me luck
Old     (lfboarder94)      Join Date: May 2007       06-13-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
hey howd the ride go tonight any problems
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-13-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Nope, no problems but I did not see them on the lake.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-13-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
Hey Mike- What colors are your X-1? I saw one out my window tonight that I believe was black and red.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-13-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
They wouldn't make it on the N' East lakes. Either pulverized or found lifeless with a bullet in the head!
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-13-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
wow their boat can tow someone BACKWARD !!!!!
Who cares about wakeboarding backard ??
please hit the double up backward and your crappy boat will be in the bottom of that lake and everyone will be happy. period !
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-14-2007, 5:03 AM Reply   
Jeff, yeah that was me in the Red/Black X-1 last night.

We had a guy from Poland who works with us who had no clue what wakeboarding was so we had to take him out to get a taste.
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
Andy's pic looks like the Bass fishing boats on our lake. . .speeding above the water!

Mike, I bet seeing that coming at you did freak you out!
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
Mike Z,
If you didn't know, the Texas Boating Laws prohibit skiing/wakeboarding/wakesurfing From one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour after sunrise. If you were wakeboarding at 8pm, I'm pretty sure sunset hadn't occurred yet or possibly might have just occurred. You were clearly, legally wakeboarding so the guy doesn't even know the laws either.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-14-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
whats really the point of doing wheelies in your boat? Is that cool now or something? Do people in Texas buy these boats and tow wakeboarders at like 70-80 mph or something?
Old     (wpcustoms)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-14-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
I know who they were. He is the former owner of ski pro and i am sure that his two sons were with him. Ski Pro's boat are aimed toward barefooters. I have been in one doing 75 on GPS and have rode behind one while it was traveling in reverse.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Has nothing to do with Texas wakeboarders and has everything to do with being a TOOL thats lives in Texas!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-14-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
not really... we also don't endanger other people or act like tools. but, as you can see, we have our fair share of dumbasses!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-14-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
BTW, any response from the shop or anyone yet?
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
Sure enough WakeShoe. Sunset for the 11th in San Antonio is listed as 8:33pm. So you would have been good till a little after 9. I check here on the weekends just to cover my bases.
http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-14-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Yeah, when I talked to the sheriff he said I was ok with the time I was wakeboarding. There was a ton of day light so that was not a problem for sure.

Heck yeah it scared the crap out of me. I had not control and just had to watch it go by and pray nothing happened. At the time all I was thinking about was my kids. Thank God they were not in the boat!!!

Nope, I have not heard anything from those guys. I just hope the guy know he was in the wrong and stops him from doing it to someone else no matter how much he thought he was in control.

(Message edited by mx118 on June 14, 2007)
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-14-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Not that I want to, but is it even possible to get my wakesetter to do an ollie like that? My nerves get rattled everytime I cross my own wake turning around!
Old     (skiex)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-15-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
Hey Mike,
Sorry about your incident on the lake. Let me clear this up for everyone. The person on the boat was the previous owner of Ski Pro under Moore Marine. The company was purchased by Marine TEC back in 2005. The new owner of the company was in California. The guy in the boat is an experience boater and i don't know why he would come that close to you.
For everyone slamming our company because of the actions of someone NOT affiliated with our company: We build a specialty boat that is built to do things no other ski boat on the market will do. Our stern drive is a high performance boat.. period. The great thing about it is that you can also use it for skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, etc. It is the most versatile boat on the market. We build it for people who want more performance than what a 35-40mph inboard or V-drive can offer. It's kinda like a Farrari, just because it is a high performance sports car doesn't mean you can't drive it to work. Farraris aren't for everyone though. Some people can't handle the car and shouldn't be driving them. The same can be said about our sterndrive boat.
Because of the wakeboarding demand, we have recently expanded our market by offering a 21' V-Drive package which makes a great wake for boarding. It comes with in-floor ballast, tower, board racks, etc, etc... I'll be happy to give any of my fellow boarders a test run on our V-Drive. I know you'll be impressed
We are developing a 23' V-Drive which will be even better.
I'm glad your ok Mike. I'm a weekend boarder, not very good yet buy the way, but i'm trying, and boats driving too close behind me are pretty nerve racking, so i can see your concerns from a boat that looked out of control.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-15-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
Good to start doing damage control but you better help them nail that idiot that almost ran him over. What a shame that if this is true he sure got you off on the wrong foot here....
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-15-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
Koodos to Ezra for posting this. At least he had the stones to come on here register and post an explaination.