Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-14-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
First time owner of a boat, 05 Supra Launch 21V.
I've been searching many posts for something similar but did not find anything similar so here I am with a new thread:

The warning light under the throttle lever is still flashing even above 2500rpm. It says on the label that "Do not run V-Drive if light is on above 1200 rpm...". The light is not completely off at higher rpm. The boat has been serviced prior to pickup, but I don't know if they changed the transmission oil, dealer is closed until tomorrow and I am anxious to find out if this is normal behavior. Thank you
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-14-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
I think that light is on the Vdrive gear box not the transmission. Dont mess around get some oil in it. The fill is under the cover under the rear seat.
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-14-2008, 11:30 PM Reply   
Isn't the transmission and V-Drive the same? I checked the Supra manual and it states: "The V-Drive transmission in your Supra is equipped with a low pressure warning light." .Then later in the manual I found two different sections for changing the fluids in the transmission and V-Drive respectively. This is confusing. I will check the boat and probably figure it out that way. I am very disappointed that after buying a boat with 80 hours on the engine, that has been "serviced" by Gonnason Boat in Kent WA, I still have these issues, first day on the water. (more things that were promised by the dealer and then not delivered on pick up day!)
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-15-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
Did you ever test drive the boat? Was it on before the service? If not, sounds like they drained the fluid, took a break, and buttoned it up w/o filling it. Check the fluid level in the trasmission and V-Drive. See pic below that I borrowed from the 21v ballast thread. There are two seperate oils to check. Read the manual. IIRC there is a procedure to checking the oil. Believe that you take the dipstick out wipe it, put it back in w/o fully seating the stick to give the proper reading. While you're at it I'd check the oil level also. If they screwed that up, no telling what else they did. I check all of these levels the before the boat goes in the water the first 5 times or so after servicing just to make sure I did it right.Upload

(Message edited by siuski on April 15, 2008)

(Message edited by siuski on April 15, 2008)
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-15-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
Thanks for the picture. It's clear now. I am taking the boat back to the dealer so they can properly "service" it. They think it must be just a loose wire since they perform the service very rigorously. No, I did not test drive the boat, I bought in February, but I test drove many other older ones (including Launch 21V), I thought that a 80 hours boat should be pretty much like new and I was promised that the dealer "would stand behind" their boats.
So you are checking these fluid levels yourself, are you doing it after the engine has warmed up, like the manual states?
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-15-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Both, I'll check it before it hits the water to ensure there is something in there, then I'll check it after we've taken a set or two to get the proper reading after the oil has heated up and found it's way into all the nooks and crannys. However, I haven't noticed much difference in the levels cold vs. hot.

How long did you run it with the light on? You say the light isn't completely off, meaning it flickers or is dim? Definatly check the fluid youself before you take it to the dealer. That way you'll know if they are trying to play you. Let us know how much fluid you found. If it isn't the fluid level, I'm curious to what it is, maybe a bad sensor. Never know when one of us might see this on our boats. My dealer is two hours away, so if it is something I can fix myself I prefer not to spend the $ on fuel.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-15-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
Part of your problem is that you had it "serviced" by Gonnasons. I used to live in Kent and had a few issues with those guys, including losing my keys and putting a rusty pully on a motor. Try Bakes- they can service your Supra no sweat.
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-15-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
will5150: Oh trust me, I will not go back to Gonnason in the future. I store the boat very close to Bakes in Issaquah so that's where I will be servicing my boat from now on. Their prices are much lower than Gonnason's for all services, I compared them item to item.
pwork (siuski): I will check the levels myself on Thursday when it's supposed to be mostly sunny (still in the middle of winter here in Seattle!) and let you know. The light was on at idle, which is normal behavior, and then it was flickering, on for one sec and off for another second at higher rpm instead of completely turning off. The service technician at Gonnason was saying that it might be "a bad sensor or a problem with the sender"
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-17-2008, 12:35 AM Reply   
Update: I verified the the fluid levels and they were fine. The problem seemed to have been a switch. I have to be honest and admit that the sales manager contacted me immediately after finding out about my issues and took care of all the things that were not done the first time and some more. So I feel much better now knowing that the I did not run the boat with low V-Drive fluid levels. I also appreciate the dealer's will to keep their customer happy.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-17-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are good to go.