Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            05-17-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
I'll let Robert post up the finish order and other details but I have a few pictures of the podium, and on my laptop some photos of the event. If you didn't attend, you may start kicking yourself now! Great event.

One of the new divisions was the Tandem class - two folks on the board. Dennis and Adriana did the "heavy lifting" and the little kids did the cute. At the end of her first pass little Sophie told the judges that she was "going to kill it". And watching little Jessie to the superman was worth the price of admission alone.

If you got 'em, feel free to post 'em.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-17-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
they next set
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-17-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
more - random shots.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-17-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
more randomness
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-17-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
This was the highlight for me - check this tent!
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-17-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
still more - Roberts command center and Johnny Stieg and Chase Hasen from Shred Stixx with Sean Cummings of Wake Shredder and Inland Surfer.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            05-17-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
The last one I have is of the dam and bridge going over it - one lane and I think there is wood involved!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by surfdad; 05-17-2010 at 4:02 PM. Reason: lol - not damn, dam! :)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-17-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
This weekend was amazing. I met some really cool people and had a great time.
All the riders killed it. Wake9 did a great job with the event. I cant wait for the next one.

Next time I plan on competing and hopefully can get my sister to come to compete in open women.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       05-17-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
I had a great time this weekend got to meet some great people, Help out Robert with the event, watch some incredible riders, try out lots of boards and get some expert advice from many including my favorite, Dennis Horton (Thanks Dennis much appreciated)!

Can't wait for next year!

Mitch if you are the same Mitch from CalMarine I will be calling you this week to order my Walker board.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-17-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
Incredible effort with the ustream video.... something to really build from.
We took a short road trip on Sunday to a graduation party so I downloaded the ustream app for my iphone, set the phone on the dash, and we watched what we could of the comp while we cruised down the highway.
Isn't technology great!?!?!?

surfdad, the tent......WTF??? Did someone really sleep in that thing?
Old    surfdad            05-17-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
YES! Isn't that sick! It's a BBQ and living quarters all wrapped up into one - it had a stereo, propane, tools - remarkable.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-17-2010, 9:51 PM Reply   
I have official pics of the podiums, and one in boat pic for each rider, will be up tonight. Photographer accidentally missed getting me a couple, and I don't want to put up partial, all or nothing! He should be home from a long drive and getting to me soon. It was also nice to get some sleep today.

Thanks for all the feedback, and the broadcast will only get better. The video from the in boat cameras is fantastic though, can't wait to start uploading that, will take most of the rest of the week.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-17-2010, 10:00 PM Reply   
Chris thanks for the props. I really enjoy helping people improve their wakesurfing.
Thanks also for all your help at the contest. We couldn't do contest without the help of a lot of volunteers.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-18-2010, 2:07 AM Reply   
OK, so here we go with the official pictures and such. What a great time had by all. Special thanks to Tige and the boats. They were incredible. The pictures you will see are all from the SAME boat, both goofy and regular, the contest was pulled by one boat. It wasn't the plan, but we damaged a boat and so we went for it, knowing the 2010 Tige RZ2 would produce the same great consistent wake on both sides. Dennis, the Wakeologist, basically weighted the boat the same for both sides and just switched over. Towards the second day, we were switching in minutes. Hats off to Tige for there great automated ballast, and we just added some lead to that.

Special thanks to Cal Marine Sports for the giveaways, all the help and support. Special thanks to Jeff and Judy Walker for allowing us to stand on there shoulders and start with a great foundation. Special thanks to the Wakesurfing ambassador that is Sean Cummings, and Wakeshredder. Special thanks to Ski Supreme for allow us to do demos on their new V226. Special thanks to Chris Martinez, and everyone else that helped so much. Special thanks to Larry Mann for allowing us to give away a FAE system. And special thanks to Lake Wakes and The Walker Project for all the board demos.

First the Juniors

Maddie Garcia.

Thomas Garcia

Then we had some amazing surfing from the pros. This class was for the riders to just try to through their best tricks, with no concern for landing them or not.

Expression Session

Chase Hazen - Shredstixx

James Walker - Flyboy Wakesurf

Johnny Stieg - Shredstixx

Then another fun class. We liked to call this the Wake9 Smackdown between the Cocoa Puff and the Vanilla Wafer.

Tandem Wakesurf

Adriana Borelli and Sophia Davi

ok, I know I am partial to my daughter, but this one is my favorite picture of the contest. Dennis looks like the old superman training a new recruit.

Dennis (the Wakeologist) Horton and Jessica (Cocoa Puff) Garcia

Then we moved on to the Surf/Skim challenge. This was ride one way on a surf board, and then back on a skim board. Who is the best overall rider?

Surf/Skim Challenge

Trinity Schramm

Sean Cummings - Wakeshredder - Inland Surfer

Anthony Davi

Kevin Riffle

Then we moved on to Sunday, for the main event classes. We combined open women and amateur women, but combined the prize money also, so the girls were happy about that.

Open Women

Farrah Kemp

Adriana Borelli

Bri Chmel - CrowleyWake

Trinity Schramm

Open Men Surf

Nick Scott - Triple XXX

Johnny Stieg - Shredstixx

Chase Hazen - Shredstixx

Open Men Skim

Sean Cummings - Wakeshredder - Inland Surfer

Joey Pasquali - CrowleyWake

Evan Chess

Mike Kozacek

Ryan Fair

Amateur Men

James Albertoni (slimjim)

RJ Garcia - wake9.com

Kevin Riffle

Jeff Meacham

This is Frank Wolter's sun, he is 14, and its his first competition. What a great job he did.

Chris Wolter

Sutton Trout

Brett Bazzini

Daniel McKeon

On to the Masters

Jeff Walker

Judy Walker

Anthony Davi

Some great images right? Thanks to the photographer, David Wilsey, who you all know as notsobueno.

So on to the podium shots.

Juniors
  1. Maddie Garcia
  2. Thomas Garcia

Tandem Wakesurf Podium
  1. Dennis Horton and Jessica Garcia
  2. Adriana Borelli and Sophia Davi

Surf/Skim Challenge
  1. James Walker
  2. Kevin Riffle
  3. Sean Cummings

Expression Session
  1. James Walker
  2. Chase Hazen
  3. Johnny Stieg

Masters
  1. Jeff Walker
  2. Judy Walker
  3. Anthony Davi

Amateur Men
  1. Kevin Riffle
  2. RJ Garcia
  3. Chris Wolter

Open Women
  1. Bri Chmel
  2. Adriana Borelli
  3. Trinity Schramm
  4. Farrah Kemp

Open Men Skim
  1. Ryan Fair
  2. Joey Pasqualli
  3. Mike Kozacek

Open Men Surf
  1. Chase Hazen
  2. James Walker
  3. Johnny Stieg

Thats it, stay tuned to wake9.com for in boat video and more photos. You may see these photos on the wake9.com flickr photostream, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wake9/s...7624085117058/

You may use any of these images and repost, or embed in any website as long as you keep the watermark and the full image.

Make sure you come out next year, it will be even better!

Last edited by ragboy; 05-18-2010 at 2:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Looks like a ton of fun!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-18-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
the entire weekend was awesome!! great thanks to robert and his family, dennis and all those who helped make this the great success it was!! my son had such a great time meeting all the greats ..... we were out on my boat all day friday and saturday, pulling my entire family and alot of different people riding demos that had no boat ( i think i pulled 7 or 8 different people )

i missed out riding in any of the new boats or surfing behind them or demoing any different boards ...... my daughter had big regrets not competing ...... but it was trully alot of fun for me and my entire family!!!

definetly cant wait until next year!!!! Thanks to All who made it happen!!!
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-18-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
Great pics. Guys !!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-18-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Frank-Thanks for the pulls,and lettin me hang with you guys on Friday,and sorry I had to bail.
Watchin the kids ride is almost as much fun as actually ridin,they all looked like they were havin fun.Katie really looked comfortable on that Lakewakes 5.2
Congrats to Chris,I knew he would do well.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-19-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Great job to all those that helped put the competition on, it looked like a really good time. I wish I could've made it down, but considering how well things went I'm sure I'll have another opportunity to experience it next year.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-20-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
My turn to thank everyone that helped me at the event. Thanks to Judges: Jeff Walker, Kit Howell,Mike Armstrong,Jeff Wahlers of Soulcraft Wakesurf Boards out of Idaho,Breanne Horton and Mitch Lemos. Special thanks to Josh Howell who did all the driving without a bimini for shade. This is high on the list for next year.
The BBQ crew was lead by Roger Stratford and Toni Wolters, Frank Wolters, Roger's son sorry I forgot your name. Amy garcia cooked the Chili and Beans.
Thanks also to the board manufacturers who sent boards for demo: Soulcraft Wakesurf Boards, Lakewakes, Inland Surfer and The Walker Project. Special thanks to Danny Guiterrez and Ben Pigeon from Tige Boats for allowing me to setup the boats for the photo shoot and the contest. 30 minutes before the photo shoot they give me the boats and say "make them great but hurry as we are losing the perfect light". Fortunately the RZ2 is an easy boat to weight and the wake we had for the photos was really good. I wish I could have had time to ride behind them.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       05-20-2010, 8:14 PM Reply   
Dennis- Come up to Washington in July and with a few hundred more pounds I am comfident my 22ve will give you the similiar effect. Plus I can get a few more pointers!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-20-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
Chris are you talking about me adding a few hundred more pounds? Might make it up there.
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       05-21-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
No I am only running 1000lbs right now so I would need a few hundred more to get equal to the contest boats, and your weight would just be a bonus!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-23-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
ok, so I have been posting tons of images, and the contest video. Right now, there is only one contest video, but 2 more are done, and will be posted later today. Too much to post inline, but there are some amazing images. I spent the money so that all of the photos would be freely usable, you just have to keep the watermark on them, bull images are available under the creative commons license. You can follow us on twitter if you want to get updates as I post more images and video, still lots of video and images, every rider will be fully viewable.

The images of the expression session are up, they are amazing, and there is a "Prepare for Takeoff" photo gallery, that shows Walker, Hazen, and Stieg getting aire that is UNBELIEVABLE.

All can be found here:

http://wake9.com/festival

I will post just 3 images from the "prepare for takeoff" slideshow, since they blow me away. Look at the height of the rider, and the height of the tower.

Walker

Hazen

Stieg

Truly inspiring.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-23-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
Sick air!
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-24-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
Dude! That last shot of James from the chase boat is AWESOME! Great job on the photos Dave! If these are the shots you are letting go now, the "keepers" must be absolutely amazing. It looks like Tige got their moneys worth on this one.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-24-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
We are not holding back. One of my goals was that we were going to let out the best of the pictures to the community to help show all how great wakesurfing really is, and how good these guys really are, and of course, that Tige is a world class Surf boat.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-24-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Here is the first video with James and Chase and Johnny going at it in the Expression Session. Johnny really took the "no holds barred" approach and was going for the gusto. Chase was a bit off on his game on this one, but then came back during the mens open and landed his best stuff.

http://wake9.com/blogs/2010-wake9-ti...ssion-session/
Old     (jeanwagner)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-25-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Fantastic event - Tigé is glad to be a part of it! Weather was perfect, pictures are great and the camaraderie was fantastic!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-25-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Photographing is quite easy actually, when your subjects are Walker, Hazen, Stieg, Fair, Chmel, Cummings, etc.
Thanks everyone for the kind words on the photos.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-25-2010, 11:06 PM Reply   
Great job Dave.

Masters division video is now posted.

Amateur Men coming next!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2010, 1:21 AM Reply   
I didn't realize I could embed anything in here, I will do that more often. Normally embed of anything is turned off on forums. Can be a security risk. But lets see the masters inline.

Go here for the hirez version:

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2010, 1:32 AM Reply   
Lets see if I can embed the hirez wake9 player.

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-26-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Nice video RB, RJ sure looks like he's havin fun clownin you! Hey I'm just curious, what were your age requirements for the Masters division?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
I think the official rule is "older than dirt". Just kidding ;-) . 40 and over I believe.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-26-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
ya thats my motto older than dirt / old bald guys. Still tryin to convince the NWWSA to change theirs LOL. they are running 50 and over
Old    surfdad            05-26-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
Old folks rule!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-26-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
got that right, J dubuya !
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-26-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
I like that 50 and over thing Jeff, it wont be long until Judy is on the top podium.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-26-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Oh yea , I do believe Judy has been there looking down on Jeff before LOL
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-26-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
I love watching Judy surf. She is just doing her thang. A true family activity.
Old    surfdad            05-26-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
It's true! Judy has a bunch more tricks than me, mostly because she can BEND at the waist! I can't tell you how limiting it is to only be able to LOOK at your feet! Judges, for some inexplicable reason, are not impressed with that! I mean, I should score highly just from surfing with an extra 50 pounds around my waist!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-27-2010, 11:43 PM Reply   
Ok, so here is the video for the amateur men, some good surfing. Check out Chris Wolter and his debut at 3rd place!

go to http://wake9.com/festival for the HD version.

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-28-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
And now for the Open Women's Division. Great surfing, check it out.

go to http://wake9.com/festival for the HD version.

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2010, 10:58 PM Reply   
Mens Open Skim, some really good wakesurfing here. Go to

http://wake9.com/festival for the HD version.

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-04-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
OK, so here is the last of the competition videos, mens open surf, some great wakesurfing.

Also, big announcement at Wake9.com today. Visit http://mywake.tige.com/ and let me know what you think.