Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-25-2013, 8:46 AM Reply   
I wanted to see if any of you had experience with Liner Acuatiors.
This is Round 2 on this project. The first time I did this I used only 1 Acuatior. It was very slow and eventually died. I think the weight of the trunk was to much for 1 Acuatior and it not lifting directley in the center might have gave it some problems. Due to the design and lay out of the stock trunk I had limited mounting options. This time I made some changes including making a adjustable mounting system in the trunk itself so I can change the angles of where the Acuatiors mount. It's the Aluminum angle pieces on the trunk.

So my question is. I know it's Ideal to have the Acuatior push up from the center of the weight point but the stroke on these is not long enough to do that and it almost doubles the amount if time it takes to lift the trunk. Do you think this set up or angle is ok for longetivity. They seem to have no problem lifting it just wanted to see what others thought and if someone had a better mounting option.
Please excuse the mess in and around the boat in the video. I'm knee deep in work.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...e_gdata_player
Old     (parkerbomar)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-25-2013, 6:46 PM Reply   
I have used Linear Actuators before. they are slow. but can move heavy loads.

The ones I have used are pretty rugged and I would have no doubt about longevity.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-26-2013, 6:48 AM Reply   
Angle looks good and seems to work much better than the single. I used some linear actuators on my truck bedcover and have had no problems.

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
Here is a video of the Orignal set up man that thing was slow
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9t2vStGuGA
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
Bret: I have seen a few truck beds with actuators that also have a spring assist. This takes some if the load off the actuators them self. Your set up looks pretty slow and labored it reminded me of my Orignal set up this sets why I posted the video. How long have u been running yours like that and how often would u say it gets used?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-26-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
They have been on the truck a little over a year and the lid is opened and closed multiple times daily. They are slow but by the time I push the button, get out of the truck and walk around to the bed, the cover is up high enough I can drop the tailgate and do what I need. I just really enjoy not having to worry if I locked the cover every time I leave my boards and golf clubs back there.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-26-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
They have been on the truck a little over a year and the lid is opened and closed multiple times daily. They are slow but by the time I push the button, get out of the truck and walk around to the bed, the cover is up high enough I can drop the tailgate and do what I need. I just really enjoy not having to worry if I locked the cover every time I leave my boards and golf clubs back there.
If your concern is about making sure it's locked have you looked into wiring in with your truck remote? The last 3 ARE lids had this option. Truck is locked so is lid.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-26-2013, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick232 View Post
If your concern is about making sure it's locked have you looked into wiring in with your truck remote? The last 3 ARE lids had this option. Truck is locked so is lid.
I have not. That's a nice feature though.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2013, 9:11 AM Reply   
And do you have a Emergency reliece. I'm going to rig up a very thin cable (mountain bike shift cable) to connect to a pin that allows me to pull the pins that hold the actuators in place. This way in the case of a power/acuatior failure Im not stuck. The way I have it set up if I have a failure I'm in deep do do!