Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
Throwing this out there for the pro's, what song would be good for a boat stereo competition? Something that highlights the cabin speakers and sub but would also sound good on the tower speakers? I saw in the Wetsounds Revolution thread that you guys mentioned SRV as being pretty good. What else? It needs to be family friendly and would like something that is fairly popular so that people recognize it.

Thanks!
Tim
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-12-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
fire flame
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-12-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
thriller
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       07-12-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVRtS18xSk
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
Barbie Girl?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-12-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
YESSSS! +1 for Berney
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
Oh boy...I knew there would be some jokers in here. LOL!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
I didnt' even look at that. I love the Bernie. I have been trying to master the Bernie at the last 2 weddings I have done.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-12-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
Theme from Flashdance? What a feeling?

Wait, where's my mullet?

For the record, I never did the late 80's - early 90's car crank it up stuff, I only make fun of it...
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
Whitesnake - Still of the Night.

Yeah's it's 80's and big hair...but it's talent. Who wants to hear the same two notes with too much bass over and over again...

Last edited by aarond0083; 07-12-2011 at 9:37 AM.
Old     (doc1)      Join Date: May 2011       07-12-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
What about mixing up song for the competition that features some of the best rock n roll parts of different songs.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2011, 11:25 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y

Best song for a comp..
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       07-12-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I didnt' even look at that. I love the Bernie. I have been trying to master the Bernie at the last 2 weddings I have done.
i like your style
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-12-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
AC/DC - Back in Black

Oh Yeah - Yellow

With those 2, you are guaranteed a win. Especially with Oh yeah.

Consider Wild Thing by Ton Loc.

You can go ahead and thank me now.

Last edited by talltigeguy; 07-12-2011 at 2:33 PM.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-12-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
While not head banging thrashing loud, Chris Rea's "On the Beach" will really make a good system shine... I can blame a certain female for knowing about that song...
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-12-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
basshead....bass nectar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRftXCiqfQ8

Chris
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
You all have just been Rick Rolled LOL..
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-12-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
To know that means that you too have been Rick Rolled

I'd say just about anything by LRB or Firefall.

Chris, I like Teleport Massive by Bassnectar better.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-12-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
Theme from Flashdance? What a feeling?

Wait, where's my mullet?

For the record, I never did the late 80's - early 90's car crank it up stuff, I only make fun of it...
Flashdance theme actually hits hard in the first 45 seconds and was used in the late 80's, early 90's for SPL measurements. It's a good song actually.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Quote:

Yes I too fell victim to that awesome post!
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-12-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
I would recommend a song by the group Boston called Foreplay/Long Time. This would be for several reasons. First it uses a lot of Guitar, Drums, Vocals and Hammond B3 using a rotating Leslie Cabinet Horn. There are many parts that are low volume and then goes flat out loud which will distort interior speakers unless you have good ones but can show the versatility of the speakers.

Also this song uses a great deal of reverb and separation so you can hear depth, echo, along with the sound of the rotating leslie horn. Also it is mixed so that a subwoofer will get a workout too. Granted it's an old Rock Classic but that might make you stand out from the rest too which would be a benefit in a contest. The Rev speakers from what I have been told have a lot of mid bass which would come out in this song.

This would be assuming that you wired up your tower speakers "stereo" ie: two speakers on the left for the left channel and two speakers on the right for the right channel. Often I have heard people wiring them up mono so that they are louder on Electronic/Techno music but if you do that no separation just loud.

I would suspect that often in these contests people just play songs that they like rather than songs that will show off what the speakers can actually do. Anyway just my opinion.

Last edited by packrat; 07-12-2011 at 7:31 PM. Reason: Edit
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-12-2011, 10:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I too fell victim to that awesome post!
Haha... yeah I've fell victim to it also... perfect oppourtunity to get revenge! haha... nice guys.
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-13-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
Only one thing comes to mind.......

"Im on a boat !!"

lol.. just kidding
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-13-2011, 6:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Flashdance theme actually hits hard in the first 45 seconds and was used in the late 80's, early 90's for SPL measurements. It's a good song actually.
Wow..Is it bad that I was competing in these days

Man im gettin old
Old    bigdtx            07-13-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
This song will work over a sound system pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rjNHDi6Fg

I use it to test out speakers..
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYhneTczXo

don't know if I put the link in correctly but if you want to test the limits of your system this is it. It's really not that great as a song goes but it really shows off a good system.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
this song will work over a sound system pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3rjnhdi6fg

i use it to test out speakers..
lol
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-13-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
I don't know if it's a good comp song or not, but there are two songs that are the first to put on every system I've built since high school. The first is U2's With or Without You, which has a great bass line and really high guitars, and the second is Metallica's One, which simply destroys on the double kick drum.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
Lots of good stuff in here! Thanks guys! Back in Black and One both definitely have that nice drum line in them!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-13-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
How the heck does a boat stereo competition work?? What are they looking for in an open air system?? I used to judge car stereo comps several years ago, but a car is a completely different environment. Anyone ever entered a boat comp and can fill me in on what they judge on?

Some good tunes for sound quality: Hotel California-Eagles, In the Air Tonight-Phil Colllins, The Pot-Tool