Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-01-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
OK, so year three with my boat, and yes getting ready for my third stereo upgrade. I've learned now NOT to go cheap ( Hifonics, cough, cough,) there is a difference between cheap and budget though, and no, i'm not looking to "hear it from across the lake" I'm really looking to get my system sounding good.
what i've got:
Clarion cd501? deck - happy with it, plays ipod and flash drives just fine
6 polk audio db651's in cabin, powered by a rockford prime 300.4 amp
1 - kicker cvr 12" sub - powered by Rockford power 1001BD amp
4 - HCLD tower speakers krypt? - powered by Rockford T5002 amp

I took it to a stereo shop and he pulled the hifonics amp off the tower, and installed my rockford t5002 amp, made a big difference, but he thinks they can do more than that with a bigger amp. maybe a 1000 watt 2 channel?
My stereo guy is a big Rockford guy, and recommended upgrading the cabin polks to rockford m262's and a t400.4 amp, and getting 1-2 Rockford Power 12 subs. I have plenty of room in the boat but unsure if I have that much room in my bank account.......
He basically said the polks are crap, and if I went with the m262's I would need a bigger amp to power them. he also said my sub amp is plenty big for 1-2 subs. So, I came away from his shop thinking I need 6 new cabin speakers, and new bigger amp to power them, and a couple of subs, oh, and a bigger amp for my tower speakers.
So, as always before I go and spend a crapload of money on something, I ask the experts at wakeworld for their advice. What would you do with this system is if was in your boat? what type of speakers and amps are good quality, and decent priced? what type of subs will pair nicely, without too much bass, and still get good EVEN sound in the cabin?
as always, thanks for your help. I swear the people and opinions on this site have been more helpful than anything. you guys helped me buy the boat, accessories, wakeboards, surfboards, ropes and even life jackets. Much thanks!
Old    mojo            06-01-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
Sounds like an upsell to me
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-02-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
My best is advice is be your own stereo guy. When you're taking opinions from others, ask yourself if they have a vested interest in the product.

Install is more important than the gear you're using.

I wouldn't say Polks suck, and I certainly wouldn't consider those RF speakers as much of an upgrade, if at all. For the in-boat speakers I'd look at Exile, Wetsounds, or if you like Polk...the MM's. I chose Exile because I like the sound, price, and that the Exile guys are the original guys from Phoenix Gold and have been in the audio industry forever. Last summer I had (4) Exile SX65 on a P400.4 which is essentially the same amp as the T400.4 you mentioned. They sucked on that amp...it didn't put out enough power. I found a brand new Exile X800.4 (the previous series to the XI) from a dealer in Florida for $200. I added 4 more SX65's and now have 8 total on the 800.4 and it screams.

For the HLCD's go with Exile, WS, or kicker. Liquid Accoustics is a new company making boat audio gear, might be worth a look at them as well.

You didn't mention which RF sub, but if you're talking about the T1 12, that'd be one of the last subs I'd put on my boat. They're stupid inefficient with an 85.0db spl rating. It'll take a lot more power for those subs to get loud than it would for a sub with a higher rating. For boat applications look for a sub with 90db+ sens/spl rating. Both the Exile and WS subs have 90db+ ratings. I chose to get a Sundown sub...it's a 15" Z v.2 with a 91db rating. It was custom built by a guy on caraudio.com for $300. I found an x2400.1 locally for $230 to power it. That sub will take everything the 2400 can throw at it. It gets real loud, and sound damn good doing it.

The box for the sub is more important than the sub itself. You need a proper sized enclosure which is different for every sub. Ryan from Ram Designs helped me with the box design. I told him the space I had, what sub I was using, and gave him $13...he sent me a layout and cutsheet to easily build the sub box. I'd always go with a ported enclosure on a boat and tune at around 35hz. Digital Designs makes good subs, but Sundown is definitely my favorite.
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-02-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
Benjamin-
thanks for your input. I think the sub he was talking about was a T1d212? I'm going to look into the exile speakers, and also the MM polks for sure. I'd like to get into the Wetsounds, but might be a bit more than I want to spend knowing I'd be happy with the MM polks. I like the Polk db651's, they sound clear, just not that loud. the MMpolk 6.5's have a much higher RMS rating and I think they would probably sound better than the ones I have. As for the sub, I'd like to keep it under the steering wheel, like I have now, and I'm thinking on adding a single 12, and going from there.
I will be looking into the Exile line of stereo stuff this afternoon, thanks again
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-02-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
First of all I wouldn't ever go back to this shop again. It doesn't sound like he has a good grasp on marine audio. From all accounts on wakeworld the Polk DBs are the best cheap(inexpensive) interior speakers on the market. If I was going to upgrade them I wouldn't do anythign RF. I would consider the JL components, WS XS65s or the Exile interior speakers. I had a cvr sub and thought it was actually a pretty decent inexpensive sub. I would either have a custom matched box designed for it or upgrade to a XXX or Exile sub. I would switch out all amps for something more effiecient like ARC KS series amps. They are affordable and really nice from what I have read here.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-02-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
No problem. If you're deciding between the MM or Exile, I'd go Exile because they're actually cheaper and the polks have a bizarre 2.7 ohm impedance. Either way you're going to want a bigger amp for whatever speakers you go with...the speakers won't get loud without power.

Yes the T1D212 is very inefficient. If you're looking at the Exile line for subs, that new XI 12" woofer (Dual 2 ohm) would pair up nicely with the RF mono amp you have. Other subs you might like are Image Dynamics IDMAX, Sundown SA-12, Audioque HDC3.

There are good deals out there. I took a gamble on the X2400 since it was used, but it worked out great for me. Here's a good example... (2) Exile 800.4's for $225 http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/2382006061.html
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-02-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
Marc -

Being your own stereo guy is good advice. often times people get sold what is in stock and not what is the right ticket for the job. In your case, it sounds like the shop has a preference for the RF gear and there's nothing wrong with that persay. Might sound odd comming from the Exile guy, but if you go down the RF path, I'd try to keep it all matching brand / gear instead of a hodge podge of stuff mixed into it. If your having the shop do the install, I'm sure they'd appreciate you buying the setup from them.

My advice for you would be to break your proposed stereo setup into 3 zones and then plan accordingly.

First I'd start with the CABIN zone, and get proper speakers powered by an amplifier, then move into the SUB zone, and run a dedicated amplifier that matches power specs to a subwoofer. Lastly, I'd look at the TOWER zone, and do the same thing - buy a setup that is matched.

Often times guys out there and on here online have mega systems that took them several seasons to achieve. I speak to people every day that plan their stereo's in stages. There is nothing wrong with doing it all at once if you have the budget, but if you create a plan and then execute that plan in stages, it will help you out in the long run.

As far as Exile goes, shoot me a pm if you need info, or sign up for the 30 demo and you can try any of our gear. Info is on our site.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-02-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
I agree with brian, you have to plan in stages, otherwise you'll never reach your final goal. It has taken me 4 years to get my system where I wanted it. My final installment (for this boat) is now complete, and it is the culmination of years of trial and error (by both my self and others).
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-02-2011, 10:09 PM Reply   
thanks for the info guys, Brian, I'll be intouch with you for sure. Im thinking on 6 exile mids for the cabin, and I'm in the process of hunting down or buying a new 800.4 for the cabin. I looked into the guy wth the 2 800.4's for sale, and am not sure of buying used stereo equipment over the internet just yet.
I'm thinking if I get the cabin speakers in tune this summer, and the sub(s) handled over the off season, somewhere between now and then I'll get an amp for my tower. I have 4 6.5 krypt Hcld's right now, and I thnk they just need more power to them. they sound good to me, and that matters more than brand name for sure.........however a guy at the lake lastwee had 2 pro 80's on his old school mailbu, and damn! ( this crap is endless!)
So, for starters, i'm really thinking on going with 6 new exile 6.5's, and athe 800.4 to power them. was wondering though......if I did get 2 800.4's, would the other run have enough power to run 4 krypt 6.5 Hcld's ??? they are rated at 150 rms @ 4 ohms each, but I have no clue ehat the hell that means.
then after I get the sound good inside, I will move onto the Sub. I'd like to just have 1 12 in he boat, but if I need two, I have the room. I'll stick with the CVR 12 on the RF1001BD amp for now unless someting better comes my way.
thank you guys for all of your help. much appreciated as always.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-03-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
Marc, you'll be more than happy with 6 exile's on a 800.4. My 8 on the 800.4 can go as loud as I will tolerate.

Another 800.4 for the towers would be plenty of power for the HLCD's. With your current T5002 amp, at the very most your putting 75w to each speaker at 2ohms. If it's wired at 4ohm which is definitely possible, you're only putting a meager 35w to each speaker. With the Exile 800.4 you could put 125w to each speaker at 4ohm (which is what I'd do) or you could put 200w to each speaker at 2ohm.