Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-31-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
company? cwb? humanoid? i need help!!!
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-31-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Okay... What do you ride most? Cable, Boat, Winch, Or everything... I got to ride the CWB Vibe at mccormicks for a day... And it rode wicked on kickers, and rails Slide very fast and had Enough flex to notice but was not a wet noodle ... I know you didnt mention LF but i got to ride the watson hybrid on cable and on the boat and it was wicked!! im not sold on the flex behind the boat yet... But if i had the chance to ride cable everyday i would forsure have a CWB vibe as my rail board!!! I hope this helps if you get the chance DEMO DEMO DEMO Because I ride differnet then you and you ride different from me....

Cheers

Dave
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-31-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
my best friend has watson hybrid 2011 so im lookin toward cwb and company. we ride boat but im currently about to make a winch so il be hitting rails ans sliders soon
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-31-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
I have a Vibe, only ride behind boat. I have a 10, and it looks like the shape has changed some for 2011. Haven't had any issues with mine, and I think it is a very fun board to ride. Anything in particular you would like to know?
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       12-31-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
Ronix Phoenix Project is another sweet option, flexes a bit different to the other flex boards I've ridden, is hard to describe what I mean though. It is stiffer then normal flex boards but no where near a normal board.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-31-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
I'm really liking the Humanoids right now. The 143 Flex is what I've been on so far, but the Stiff's are still really flexible. I have a 143 Stiff waiting on me at my house in Florida for when I get back... I managed to snap my 143 Flex haha. First person to snap a Humanoid without ever touching a slider or any obstacle is something I'm pretty proud of
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-31-2010, 11:35 PM Reply   
well i ride ronix and i like my ibex but it seems too stiff so her are the picks and vote for me lol -cwb vibe. -ronix pheonix. -humanoid flex. -company severence or company recruit or company vandall i have researched all of them thourgh just cant decide ugh...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-01-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
I don't think the Vandall is a very flexible board, but I am not sure.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-01-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
i rode a VANDALL and it has some flex but not much,my watson hybrid has more. i too would like to try the cwb vibe.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-01-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
i heard the vandall was a great slider and can flex about 6 out of 10 but im not sure about it any suggestions?
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-01-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
I love my company severance any and everywhere I ride it.... rails, cables, boat.. doesnt matter as its such a dope board! The recruit is also super fun behind the boat too!

CH
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-01-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Since you ride an aggressive 3 stage board right now and you like it, that narrows your list down to one: the Company Severance but you shouldn't rule out the Slingshot Recoil, there are a lot of new advancements to their 2011 boards that will allow them to hold up better than any other flex board out there.
Old     (nautiqu13)      Join Date: Dec 2000       01-01-2011, 5:33 PM Reply   
This is honestly the best board I've ever ridden. I've been a slingshot guy for quite some time. Sure I'm biased but I won't let this board be overlooked.

http://store.obrien.com/products/pro...62.0.0.0?pp=6&
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-01-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
thanks to all ima try to find a severance but wats ur thoughts on the obrien?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-03-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
#1 on the Slingshot... The Response is the best rail board I've ever been on. I really liked the Hybrid, but it couldn't touch the Slingy on rails.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-03-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
It all depends on how much flex you are looking for and are you looking for a board that you plan on riding for a few months or a season. If you want a flex board that will last and last and last no matter how often you ride rails, Watson Hybrid BUT this board does not flex
as much as the competitors. Truly is a hybrid.
the new LF deluxe is another one that will last you and basically the same shape as the FLX but made a little stiffer
the LF FLX is a strait flex board that is put in the same category as the flex of a slingshot

Slingshot this year has toughened their boards up this year and will again be a great option for the cable without having to worry about breaking it in a week. The rails have been reinforced with carbon fiber along with some added core strength, hopefully keeping the same flex but not breaking your first week of riding it on rails. My buddy said he was really stoked on the 2011 SS improvements and better ride for the new season

CWB Vibe- stay far far away if it is the same board as last year because you will on the market for a new board in not to long. they have great flex
but unfortunately, they break very easily.

Ronix Phoenix- will be more like a LF hybrid which you will find has all of the flex you need. haven't had first hand experience with the board but ruck looks like he is killing it on it both boat and cable. This would definitely be one I look at.

Company Severance- a true flex board like a slingshot with more durability. still more vulnerable than a hybrid style flex but a really good looking board that I haven't heard many complaints about.

so In closing-
hybrid flex-LF Watson or deluxe (if you are
looking for more flex that the watson) or ronix Phoenix
pure flex-company and slingshot (it really is new and improved for 2011)
Safest purchase- Watson hybrid (most durable board ive ever ridden and it is FLEX)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-03-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
While I wont give my opinion because I am loyally biased and i know you all will slam me, I will defend against your post about the Vibe Kyle. I rode mine all year and still have yet to break it. So you better get your facts straight before you slam.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-03-2011, 5:59 PM Reply   
i've seen enough snap on the cable that my facts are pretty strait. maybe its a little more durable behind the boat but when guys start slamming it on rails, the rails hit back.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-03-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
i saw a phoenix snap in half
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-04-2011, 1:53 AM Reply   
company severance gets my votes!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-04-2011, 5:52 AM Reply   
Hunter, I've seen basically every board company have a board snap in half. Part of the sport. Some boards just last longer than others. If you are getting this board for the sole purpose of winching some rails and are new to it, you probably don't have to worry much about pressing to hard or missing a high ollie and snapping the board but you are going most likely take some spills learning how to hit the rail where you and your board actually hit the rail. You can hit the pylons, the rail itself, the side supports, just about anything on a home rail so I would go with something a little more sturdy like a Watson Hybrid that will take a few punches. The pure flex boards WILL BREAK whether someone tells you they will or not. If you run into the rail the wrong way on a pure flex board, it will most likely result in damage that puts the board on the wall. Here is a rail we built a couple of summers ago. The board is a brand new premier strait out of the wrapper, which could take some damage and the trick directly after pic 3, came in toeside to frontboard it, slipped off the rail for one reason or another and closelined the pylons and there goes a brand new board. You take the same fall on a flex board and it would probably just explode the nose of the board lol.
Attached Images

Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-04-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
I'm a boat rider so I talk for boat riding! I don't want to hurt anybody, it's only my opinion!

flex = SLINGSHOT

everything else is a bad copy! I love liquid force but do not compare a Watson hybrid to a SS, please! I had big expectations from liquid force but when I saw that... ehhh! It feels like a dead board with no responce. Never saw a Cie board, but I eard that the technology looks like a SS. I would like to try a Humanoid too! I'm pretty sure that somebody's gonna say that I didn't try every flex board and I don't know what I'm talking about but when you are in a ferrari, you don't have to try another car to know you're in a top ranking car! Same thing for a board!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-04-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
WTF is going on with this... there is no such thing as a CIE board... it is a group of riders out west... not a board manufacturer. Geeezus.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-04-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Company board
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-04-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Sorry! In french Cie is the abreviation for company!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-04-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
Hahahahaha... nice. My B Fred.

Slingshot all the way doood
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-04-2011, 4:55 PM Reply   
so are all slingshots flex boards?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-04-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
slingshot - it says right on their site that theirs is the best board ever so it must be the best.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-04-2011, 5:39 PM Reply   
With names like recoil, reflex and response, it must be! They are now stiffer in the middle than the first generation but it still flex! I'm pretty sure that all the new boards in the Enen serie are all flexible too. like I said before, flex=Slingshot!
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-04-2011, 5:41 PM Reply   
dammit i cant decide!!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-04-2011, 7:37 PM Reply   
I dont believe I put LF in the same category regarding the type
of flex of slingshot, but the Watson hybrid is a type of flex board.
not total flex but it definitely bends. I would say the LF FLX has every
bit as much flex if not more than slingshots so to say you can't compare
LF to sling is wrong
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-04-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
kyle wats ur input on vandall? is it ok for cable?
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-04-2011, 8:17 PM Reply   
I haven't seen one person riding anything but the severance at the cable. I don't think it has much flex to it at all and with his riding style, he isn't designing a board that is going to kill sliders. i would imagine its a fast board and good for flats tricks but like I said I have never seen anyone ride that company board at the cable. people really lay it down on the severance though I'll tell you that and take it just as hard off the kickers with soft landings. that is the direction I would go if I was thinking company
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-04-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
kyle ur awesome i think ima go with a 138 severance and sell my huge 144 ibex
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-05-2011, 6:56 AM Reply   
I wouldn't go Company.... they are going out of business so warranty will likely be unavailable.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-05-2011, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
slingshot - it says right on their site that theirs is the best board ever so it must be the best.
I feel like a large majority of your posts are hate... does that come with the big post count or are you really like that?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-05-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
"I wouldn't go Company.... they are going out of business so warranty will likely be unavailable."

Is this speculation or do you know this for fact?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-05-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
Credible sources indicate they are no longer going to be operating at the capacity they have been, if at all. I also think Justin's comment in the other Company thread where he apologizes for their silence on the issue is another good indication something is up. Lyman has left for the military apparently, rumors have Randall with another manufacturer, and there are complaints from current customers about lack of response on warranty and other general inquiries... all arrows point to them having problems.

It's a real shame to see a cool company run by some great people having a hard time in this environment.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-05-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker View Post
I feel like a large majority of your posts are hate... does that come with the big post count or are you really like that?
That quote wasn't "hate", that is humor. Joe's post's are all about pointing out things that are funny. If you knew him it would make more sense. Hate on Joe!

I will throw in my two cents about the Vibe, I've seen some of those boards that have been absolutely put through hell at the cable and did not break. Ask the crew at Wakesport Ranch in TX what they ride, 100% Vibe. There was one weakness with the 2010 shape, the rails. This year they totally redesigned them so the ABS strip connects to the top/bottom sheet for almost an inch. I love that board.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-05-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
The guys at Company have always been marketing genius'... esp Justin.. Im crossing my fingers they have something soo big for 2011 and are just letting everyone talk about their gear and ask a TON of questions before it happens.. : D I love company wakeboards
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-05-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
well wtf man i just want to get the best board for flex...any hear about obrien paradigm?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-06-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
2011 cwb Vibe, such sick flex board.

Just about every customer that demoed a Vibe at the Cable last Year Bought one.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-06-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
Company, CWB, LF, Hunanoid, Obrien, Ronix all make great boards.

Just pick one and learn to ride it well.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-06-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
decision is obrien paradigm 140
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-06-2011, 10:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
actually it is the "SICKEST board ever" not the best. :P haha
Got good scores on the alliance board test article too... but with how much bias is the question.

Anyway, enjoy the (S)OBrien's board, like Justin H. said, they are all great.
too bad demoing can't be easier for everyone. i totally feel ya there.

come back later and share your thoughts on the ride
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2011, 4:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
actually it is the "SICKEST board ever" not the best. :P haha
good to see that tongue-in-cheek humor isn't dead here.
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-10-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
you should be stoked on the OBrien flex board hunter. let us know what you think.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-10-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
The O'Brien is definitely interesting. I don't like the shape of the tip and tails though because if you clip, it just looks like a spot that is vulnerable to breaking. Hope it works well for you though!
Old     (sean_obrien)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-10-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
Kyle- By "clipping" do you mean something like this?

I'm not really sure what he was thinking and there were several things that went very wrong here, but the board turned out great. If you look at the board, there is no indication that it slammed into a dock at about 25mph. About two months after this happened, Alliance used this exact board for the board test in their new gear guide. On top of that, I spent last week riding it as well. It's holding up great.

If anyone in central Florida wants to test one out, just let me know. I'm heading to South Africa tomorrow but will be back mid-Feb. At that point, I'd love to meet up with anybody who wants to try out the Paradigm.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-10-2011, 6:19 PM Reply   
Hey Sean.. can you send me some more information on the Paradigm to eastcoastwake@gmail.com Thanks so much!

CH
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-11-2011, 12:06 PM Reply   
Does the Paradigm have any bottom contours?
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-11-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewproses View Post
Does the Paradigm have any bottom contours?
Nope - the Paradigm is completely flat - just the way Sean wanted it!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-11-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
Sean, hahaha kind of but with a little more force kind of like the pictures i posted of my premier after I closelined the pilings on a toeside frontboard. Broke the board and landed me in the urgent care getting a CT of my abdomen.

BTW I'm Rich Giroux's friend from med school at nova. He would always bring you up when we would get into a convo about riding.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-11-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
The O'Brien is definitely interesting. I don't like the shape of the tip and tails though because if you clip, it just looks like a spot that is vulnerable to breaking. Hope it works well for you though!
hyperlites "flex" board has a real interesting tip and tail shape.
http://hyperlite.com/PRODUCT/WAKEBOARDS/Men-s/Vigilante
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-11-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Jeremy, that shape is VERY similar to the Nelson/Delta shape when Nelson was on Double Up. It was my favorite boat board of all time. I still haven't ridden a board as good as it. I don't know how much flex this board has though but for that price, that is an awesome deal for a slider board.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-11-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
i think the alliance wake gear guide for 2011 is out so if anyone has it post the ratings for flex or hybrid boards
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2011, 6:13 AM Reply   
I just picked up a Hyperlite Vigilante 138 from performance and this might be exactly what you are looking for. They basically took the roam, integrated some foam and slap on one of the best shapes Nelson has ever come up with. Definitely a Double Up throwback.
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-13-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
cool. ^^
am i seeing the pics right?
is that basically a super-thin foam board and a wood board stacked?
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
yeah Jeremy, layer of wood over a layer of foam. Pretty sick idea if it works .
I finished setting the board up and once the wetsuit arrives that was supposed to be here 2 days ago, I will be taking her for a spin and give you a full report,
Here is the board fully setup, put on my Ronix Sintered slider fins (fit like a glove), Ronix Reliks (also fit with no extra plates or extensions or whatever) and trashed the fins it came with (basically 1" plastic junkers). The board has no contours on the bottom and I am used to having some grip whether it be molded fins or small slider fins. The Ronix Sintered fins kind of act like molded in fins because of their width and are perfect for rails. I might take the fins off of the nose so I can still press the natural board but get the traction i need when the water is rough.
Attached Images

Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-13-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
pretty dope im alot ready to buy the paradigm just waiting to sell my 09 ibex 144 lol
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
How long will it take for a company to make a flex board or hybrid with molded fins.... when they do thats what ill be riding...
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
just remembered that Sine does.. lol.. but their spine makes them a crap cable board
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-13-2011, 8:25 PM Reply   
If Sine made a board with no center spine, it would be a great cable board since it is so light, durable, and has moderate flex.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-24-2011, 5:41 PM Reply   
hey andrew, our new LWA model will be a hybrid board with molded fins! Ill be getting the first sample in about 3 weeks time, cant wait.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-24-2011, 6:13 PM Reply   
im ready to see phalanxs and ctrl boards for flex
Old     (apf)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-15-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
im riding company recruit....absolutely love it...
i would like to try a vibe and the new slingshot as well
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-15-2011, 8:33 PM Reply   
wat year recruit apf?
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-15-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
anyone know the differance from 2009 to 2010 company recruit besides binding holes??
Old     (apf)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-15-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
the holes are the only difference....and the graphics of course....I actually just got a second 09 recruit...im on the 09 cause I still love the 09 bindings and still use the 4 bolt mount plate
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-15-2011, 10:59 PM Reply   
^^thought i remember hearing that the core lay-up was changed slightly. same outline though
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-16-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
Well is it a better layup for 2010?
Old     (apf)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-16-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
ive been hearing the mounting system for the new bindings hasnt been as solid as claimed to be...but everyone ive seen riding them has had no complaints
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-16-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musgrove View Post
Well is it a better layup for 2010?
i think they changed the ratio of wood to foam a bit and made it slightly stiffer. i bet whatever they did (if anything) won't make a huge difference.
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-17-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
anyone got a phoenix and can describe the ride or heard about the gator flx? havent seen much of it
Old     (apf)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-18-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
rode the phoenix..didnt like it to much...but i know a couple of people that are riding it that love it...my biggest issue with it is the tip/tail is so wide
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-18-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
Ronix Phoenix is one of the most mellow-turning boards I've ever ridden, but you can still crank it and hold a very strong edge. The rail is beveled up all the way around the board, so it doesn't really seek an edge on it's own. I ride it finless on the cable, and surprisingly enough, it feels slightly looser than even purely flat-bottom boards like a company. The flex is moderate, but you feel it when you need it. It presses up nicely cause of the continuous rocker, and once it's up it supports you well, without dumping you out the front like some softer boards may have a tendency to do, especially if you're accustomed to riding traditional boards. Landings are surprisingly soft too, and very forgiving if your rotation isn't right on. It'll let you slide out of sketchy situations more often than not. It rides best back on the tail, where the concave and channels keep the water collected, and gives you a very firm ollie if you really leave off the tail. Ollies better with fins. The sintered base on Ronix boards it the toughest base out there without adding any weight. It's not very thick, like LF's grind base, but slides extremely consistently on a variety of surfaces and is bulletproof.

Needless to say, it has my recommendation.