Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-09-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
I was wondering how many of you girls take wakeboarding seriously, I mean, who goes out every day to train for comps or who just rides whenever they have a chance but just for the fun of it?

I started last year training about 3 times a week, but then there were lots of problems with the boat so I couldnt train anymore. I just rode whenever I could but in boats that didn't have much wake which is what Ive done so far and I get frustrated because I progress real slowly because of that...
Anyways, tell me about you! What do you do?
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-07-2006, 12:20 AM Reply   
I wouldn't call it training or anything cause my goal is just to have fun but I do push myself really hard, or try to anyway. Lately I've been going to the gym to get my butt in shape. I feel ur frustration with the slow progression, until last summer I was riding behind a zodiac, an inflatable boat with a 70 horse power engine. Still now I'm riding behind a sea ray which at least it has a wake so its better than nothing. It does get really frustrating cause it defenitly slows down the progression though for sure.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
I used to "train" for competitions. I would go out and do my run over and over, then try some new tricks and get quite upset if I couldn't land the tricks. Eventually wakeboarding stopped being fun and I found myself not wanting to ride, even on sunny days when the water was absolute butter. I still feel that way a bit, more like I "need" to ride just because the weather is good. I just ride to have fun now, I find it much more relaxing when I'm not out there with the sole purpose of landing something new. I do have a pretty steady run that I do every time I'm out, but that is just habit from when I would train. I probably wakeboarded the least of any year in 2005, but had much more fun, I was more relaxed and had an amazing group of people that I rode with. They didn't care what I could do, they were just out there to have fun.
Everyone is different, for you, training may be the way you enjoy wakeboarding. For me, it ruined it. I've always been a big competitor, and of course wakeboarding was no exception. I've pulled myself completely away from the competition scene simply for the reason that I don't want it to be a big competition for me anymore, that wasn't fun. You may be totally opposite, the intensity of competing may be what makes wakeboarding worth doing for you.
Ok, I'm rambling, basically, do what you need to do to have fun wakeboarding. Frustration is never a good feeling, but sometimes it just makes you push that harder and love the sport that much more.
Does this make any sense? Didn't think so...
Tiff
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-08-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
Makes perfect sense to me....I had the same experience, except with snowboarding. So i got into wakeboarding to "have fun" and just ride again because I love it. Learning how to ride for fun again, changed everything and I was able to take it to snowboarding and love it again as well.

"train" if you want, but I recomend going out as much as you can, and have fun. Try something new every day, it'll get you stoked whether its a new grab, ollie 180's or a new invert/spin.} Whatever, but from my experience I ve learned that you progress quicker when your no worried about it!