Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Other Water Sports

Old                08-23-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
how fast do u have to go? do you have any tips for a first timer? we don't have a boom so i'm gunna go wit a rope
Old                08-27-2003, 5:53 AM Reply   
take a lesson

also checkout www.barefootcentral.com
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-27-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
38+ should do the trick. Don't look down. Tuck your chin as you go down.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-20-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
did you look down? have you tried yet? try using a kneeboard and 100 ft rope, sit on kneeboard with feet out front, lean way back to start, driver slow/med accelerate to about 25-30, slowly put feet on water heels first, keep toes up, driver accelerates to 37-39, the board will drop out once you are up, flatten your feet out to breathe through the spray but keep your toes up!
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-21-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Whats a face plant at 38+ feel like? Ow! Do you guys deep water start? I've seen guys start on their backs and spin around and stand up but that seems like too much work.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-21-2004, 11:41 AM Reply   
I learned off of a boom and it was fairly easy. Wear a barefoot suit unless you like being bruised! Cups help as well!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-22-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
Blain, you learn to fall and not faceplant - it carries over into wakeboarding. And that's called a tumble up. Some guys can make it look real hard, but it's actually my preferred way of getting up. You just grab the rope and go - no getting into position like with a deep start.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2004, 11:12 PM Reply   
flying front tumble to one foot is my specialty. and you are right wakeG, some people have a real hard time with it, for me it is just as easy if not easier, than a regular forward deepwater start, but barefooting backwards is where the real fun begins...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2004, 11:18 PM Reply   
Blaine,
while practicing front one foot wakes at 45 mph occasionally you catch a toe, you try to tuck but the top of your head hits the water so fast that the next thing that hits is your feet again and man does it sting when they slap the water, you flip a time or two more but less violently, then when the boat gets back you tell 'em let's do it again!
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
45 MPH!! You've got to be yankin my chain, I've been skiing at 36 before and had them bump it up to 38 just for grins and it seemed down right dangerous.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
I foot about 38-40 mph and its a serious rush!!!

I've got a couple buddies that foot at 45mph at night!!! They are awesome!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-01-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
Just incase this thread is not dead...

The formula from a barefoot book:
Your weight divided by 10 plus 20 mph, add another 2 mph for 1 footers.
Old                10-31-2005, 7:36 AM Reply   
I have been hurt more times barefooting trying to foot to slow than 2 fast. When you crash at a slow speed (below 38) you can dive into the water instead of somersaulting on the top. and diving in at 36 or so thats when you can chicken wing your arms twist and contort your shoulders. I have fallen at 50+ doing barefoot pyramids and it looks bad and is bad for the kid on top but for me it was just like 3 sumersaults and some laughing.
Old                10-31-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
you have to know how to fall though, you must tuck into a ball chin into your chest, knees in, and keep your hands away from your face
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-01-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
Your outboard should have enough power.Your speed will depend on your weight.Right now is actually the best time to learn because using a drysuit will help you float when your waiting for the pull.Spend $20.00 on a video at least.Lessons are always better.
Old     (barefootbob)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-16-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
Come up to lake Mendocino and I'll have you footin in 10 minuts.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2009, 12:08 AM Reply   
Wow last post was in 2005 haha welp I'm bored and I love to foot. Hang it off the side of the boat.. Off a wakesk8 deep wata start what ever the day brings its always a nice rush after a butter day of wakeboarding.. In 220 lbs I sink unless the boats pinned..45 plus
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2009, 12:10 AM Reply   
Wow last post was in 2005 haha welp I'm bored and I love to foot. Hang it off the side of the boat.. Off a wakesk8 deep wata start what ever the day brings its always a nice rush after a butter day of wakeboarding.. In 220 lbs I sink unless the boats pinned..45 plus