Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    rboothe            07-14-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
Just wondering if any of you out there have been to this salty little slice of pie.

Man-alive! Let's slow down those pickup turns...
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-15-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Its only good if you're the only one there, and of course if there is no wind.

Although it was pretty cool to see the X-Games there, and the conditions weren't to bad that day.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-15-2004, 10:22 AM Reply   
X-games were awesome there. I've never rode there but everytime I drive by when I'm in long beach it looks awesome!
Old    rboothe            07-15-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
What were the crouds and parking like for the X-Games?
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
Where's it at?
Old    socalridertivlx            07-17-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
we ride there all the time. usually a few times a week. we usually ride during the day before it gets crowded. The down side is the salt. but what's worse, driving to one of our crappy lakes an hour and a half, or using the salt water 5 mins away and getting use out of your boat. Nevermind, it sucks. don't want everyone to come ruin our spot =)
Old    rboothe            07-17-2004, 9:49 PM Reply   
Dave,

Nice ride. I've seen you guys out there a few times when I'd stop by. I swing by there on my way home from work from time to time. I was going out on wednesday evenings but my sschedule has been too busy.

I completely agree, it's got to be the worste place in all of LA and Orange counties. It's too bad it's so shallow especially low tide, tearing up props and all. And then there are the ultra slick ramps, way dangerous. The rocks. The sharks....

What's your take on pick-up turns? Fast or slow?

(Message edited by rboothe on July 17, 2004)

(Message edited by rboothe on July 17, 2004)
Old    rboothe            07-17-2004, 9:55 PM Reply   
Chris,

It's in Long Beach.
Old    rboothe            07-17-2004, 9:57 PM Reply   
Dave,

One more; Have you ever gone out in the bay? I've seen nice water out there in the mornings, especially on the leeward side of the islands and breakwater but haven't ever ventured out. I see people tubing all the time, but have only talked to one guy who skis/rides out there.
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-18-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
here is out marine stadium in Miami Fl.

Old    rboothe            07-18-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
Alessandro,

I saw that on the internet when I was dinking around one day. What was it built for? What is it used for now?
Old    rick_james            07-18-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
STAY OUT OF MARINE STADIUM...we dont want any more people in there, we have enought people just going in there to do hot laps and looking cool. If you do go in there dont be a dick and cut people off and dont cut the turns. The main thing is if you go in there dont try to act super bad. It sucks though its always rough so you guys shouldnt go there...unless you enjoy rough water.
Old    rboothe            07-19-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
Rick,

Man, calm down a bit. I am sure someone else was saying the same thing the first time they saw you show up in your boat. No body likes choppy water, dumb ass boat drivers or those 23' cuddy cabins or Boston Whalers doing laps. But, this ownership through usage thing is a little perplexing. Are you telling me and everyone else that goes there to stay out, or just the people who haven't been there before, just because you think you were there first? Just curious.

I will always cut a turn if there are four boats at one end each with a man in the water. Make slow pick up turns and others will follow. You can get your guy just as fast. It wouldn't be nearly as choppy if everyone pretends to be a pro driver. Granted, when it is crowded or a boat driver does not idicate he sees your downed rider, then you'd better throttle around to guard your rider with your boat.

(Message edited by rboothe on July 19, 2004)
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-19-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
Connelly, back in the 70s it use to be a floating stage for music concerts and they would also do cypress garden type ski shows. Apparently it failed, and now people skateboard on the top, and play paint ball in the seats. and cops do their trainning.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
HAHAHA RICK, I'll bring a waverunner!
Old    socalridertivlx            07-19-2004, 11:56 PM Reply   
slow turns are a must. If you see us out there, when the rider falls, we stop, then turn around. There's no need for power turns in that small of an area.

Connelley, we've gone into the break water a few times, but only in the morning when the stadium is closed. It's not bad, just a trek to get out there through the marina. We've never had a problem wrecking props or anything there. The only problem we have are people cutting eachother off. I think they should put a limit on how many boats can be in there. It has gotten more dangerous over the years.
Old    rboothe            07-20-2004, 12:19 AM Reply   
I get uncomfortable when there are anything more than 7 and would prefer a limit of 5. I wish people would just kick it on the beach and take turns like in a slalom course. If a new boat sees that there are 5+ boats running, just wait till someone stops. It won't work though. The problem is that you can fill a wakeboard boat with 15 people, why would it cross their minds to take a break? Us on the other hand, we do three sets or so and we are out of there. But I rarely have any more than that with my big roomy boat. I at least wish the Harbor Patrol would come over the loud speaker more often for the RIBS and jet boats hot-doggin. Most of those RIBS don't meet the minimum lenght requirement. I wish they'd just dredge Bolsa Chica and open it up for small boats. I guess you could say I'm not much of a tree hugger.

Have you ever been there or seen the place on a big holiday? I went on Memorial Day and will never go on a holiday again (except Thanksgiving of course). I had a Lapper (guy doing laps) no more than 40 feet off my skiers tail. From the drivers seat it looked like they could have tapped him on the shoulder. I gave the jerk a 'friendly' gesture waving him off. I think they should ban wakeskates (no offense to anyone) but the boat is just doing circles because nobody (that I've seen there) can stay up. It's obnoxious.

Props: Haven't you heard those crowd detering fear-based rumors, (props, sharks etc...)? See ya out there.
Old    socalridertivlx            07-20-2004, 12:22 AM Reply   
Never been on a holiday weekend. I live about a min down the street in Belmont shore, so I've seen it and know better