Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-04-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
Why is it that people do not get it!! After this many years of skiing / wakeboarding being around now .......why are people still on the Delta and lakes still panicing when there are boats around but not close and when there are no boats around......I have been riding the Delta for many yrs now and even when I first started learning how to drive a boat I did not power turn......... It just ruins the water is unsafe and sends wakes into the person you are turning to pick up............I was riding the Delta today and I would say 80% of the boats out there were power turning wakeboarders and skiers!!!!! CAN WE all just get the hint it does not help anything.....and learn how to drive a boat!!! Sorry just tired of seeing it!!!!! T.
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
I actually have fun with it now. Bet how much water they take in over the nose.

Haha, but in all seriousness a lot of people are uninformed, Plus many people feel it is necessary to get back to the rider as fast as possible. Only time will tell and who knows, maybe we will see less of power turning.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-04-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
I do it to get back to the rider fast...I know it chops the water, but safety is an issue at my lake.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-04-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
Oh, yeah...I've been in boats all my life, I consider myself experienced.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-04-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
Maybe it's time to find a new lake!! So are you saying you only do powerturns at your home lake???? If not thats pretty lame. There's no need to powerturn unless it's a dangerous situation... and I'm lucky enough to say I haven't ever had a close enough call to have to powerturn to get to a downed rider. There's simply no need... most always.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-04-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
Correction, maybe it's time for the jetskiers and tubers to find a new lake, and I generally only go to one lake...where my family has property. No need to get your panties in a bunch
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-04-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
They're not... I just would hope you don't ALWAYS powerturn! There can't possibly ALWAYS be a jetskier out. If so, then maybe it's time to get the early am butter. They prefer the mid day/afternoon chop.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-04-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
No, not always...only if my bros or hos are in danger!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-04-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
haha
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
must protect them hoe's man!
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-05-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
This is the best way I have seen it explained.

Upload
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
haha, I remember when I made that. :-)
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-05-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
Umm last weekend I almost got hit by 2 jetskiers who were busy racing and talking sh*t to each other, instead of looking forward at me. They went right past me, and i was in the middle 5ft away from them.

My dad did not do a powerturn to pick me up...

I was left out there while he took his sweet time getting back to me. I think powerturns are safer for the person in the water...
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-05-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
we only powerturn on 3 day weekends when the lake is full of morons
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-05-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
sometimes powerturns are neccesary but the people that do it in the evening when there is no one esle around drive me crazy!
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-05-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
Not related at all, but one time my dad fell and took the board off and I was towing him into the beach and 10 feet in front of us this guy is so ignorant as to cross right in front of us. He could've made a slight turn to go behind us, but NO he absolutely COULDN'T look like a wimp in front of all the girls on his boat buy giving a 14-yr old the right of way! I COULDN'T be such a JERK!(sarcasm) I actually had to gas it in reverse in order not to hit him, and I was going maybe 5 mph. I swear he didn't even see us. Sorry, just letting off steam.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-05-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
In the cove we ride in alot its either powerturn or your rider gets ran over. Getting to be a popular cove.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-05-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
How much faster are you back to the rider with a power turn?

What I do:
1) stop and let the huge roller pass
2) turn on a dime staying in the lane of the rider (a form of blocking traffic).
3) go back to the rider without loosing sight and without drowning him and others in your wake.

It does not take long and its all under control unlike the power turner who throws his passengers around in the boat and puts down huge rollers so the fallen rider is in a wave pond.

I saw this one power turner spin three times after failing to get the rope to the fallen rider since the boat and the rider we getting tossed about in a tsunami.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-05-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Parker strip is the absolute worst place for power turns. I was so glad to get home, where most of are pretty good about it.

Boating experience means nothing. I catch my dad doing it now and then, and he's been in boats for 50 years
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-05-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
That kitten on the bottom/left has a lazy eye! :-)
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-05-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
BOOOOOO power turns...

HOORAY BEER!!!!

Upload
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-05-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
what can you really do? People do what they want as there are no rules for power turning. If you are that worried about it and it bothers you so much spend a day and go up to every boat and tell them how you want them to drive. I

hate powerturners, but lets face it, you cant control how other people drive. I hate people that drive 65 in the left lane, but all you can do is just pass them and shake your head or flip them off.. Youll never get everyone to stop powerturning on the water unless you have your own private lake with your own rules
Old    murrayair            07-05-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   

quote:

Youll never get everyone to stop powerturning on the water unless you have your own private lake with your own rules

Sad, but true. Unfortunately, trying to talk to someone about the issue ususally (in my experience) just pisses them off. They seem to think you are talking down to them when you are simply trying to educate them.

(Message edited by murrayair on July 05, 2007)

(Message edited by murrayair on July 05, 2007)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
People like stickers and logos. If you make them see it as a movement, they want to be on board like the next guy.

We need a sticker for delta boaters, the problem is coming up with a simple logo that gets the message across without looking stupid.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Nate: That's actually not a bad idea...probably the best idea I've heard in a while.

Addition: People also love free shirts.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-06-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Someone should also make a big sign and stake it down on the side of railroad and vics that say ONE WAY with an arrow pointing the correct way! Just as bad and unsafe at the delt are people pulling the opposite direction (especially pulling tubers and surfers). Maybe a few signs with messages such as NO POWERTURNS and ONE WAY could help. Then you can just point to the sign instead of yelling.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-06-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
GD has it nailed. its not just on the delta we have pwer turns here in tx and i hate it
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-06-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
And just imagine how everyone else on the lake hates our extra weighted boats throwing huge wakes ruining the water for everyone else and then turning around and doing a big ol' double-up. I think sometimes we as wakeboarders assume we own the whole waterway.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
good call miguel....on railroad as well.ONE WAY A HOLES,it's narrow enough with a blind corner!
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
I can understand what everyone is saying, but I know if I'm down and I see some idiot jetskiers coming anywhere near my direction my driver sure as hell better be power turning to come get me!!
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Sometimes I'll just wave at the offenders and let them know I'm watching them, maybe they will wonder why....? Kids usually in the boat, so I have to be kind.

Live by example, show courtesy. Sticker or tshirt - cool ideas - maybe a riders club with a code of conduct??? Instead of trying to tell an offender what they are doing wrong, you could invite them to join the club and let the code of conduct explain it !

Otherwise a general "rule" or etc would be impossible to enforce. If I see a wally coming up on my wife or kid after they fall, I'm whipping a powerturn like nobody's business. That never happens when the lake is quiet, obviously.
Old    murrayair            07-06-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I also like Nate's idea. If people see the "cool" crowd with stickers, shirts, etc. there's a good chance they will want to join up.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-06-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
Powerturning can sometimes be the WORST way to protect a rider.

The Delta environment is very different than a lake environment. I can appreciate the need to protect a rider from frequent and random traffic. My experience with lakes is that there also usually isn't much good water to preserve once you have traffic to worry about.

In the Delta we ride in narrow channels with traffic generally moving directionally, like on the street. In this environment, when you make the turn you are limiting the options of passing and/or oncoming traffic. Taken to an extreme, you give them a choice of running into the boat making a U-turn directly in front of them or running over the rider that you just turned away from.

Let the boat slow down and come off plane in the same "lane" as the rider, leaving the rest of the channel for passing boats. This keeps the boat closer to the rider than any turn at speed. Protection of a downed rider is a function of proximity to the boat, not the time it takes to get all the way back.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
You're right Nate... It's the same down here. We ride in rivers alot and some of them can be pretty narrow. In a lake or a much larger river though you know there have been times when you've been in the water and thought to yourself "This boat is coming straight for me... They better powerturn that ***** and get back to me quick!" I know I have...
Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
Well thanks to all for their comments on this and I do understand that there is always going to to be a few situations where you may have to resort to power turning but for the most part it is not needed.....I think GreatDane had said it best....very good advice......and most of the time with power turns you put the boat and other boats and riders at more risk then more safety......the Delta is Narrow and has strong currents as it is ......and they some of the comments are right as well it just causes people to miss getting the rope to the riders in the water and more chance of running over your own rope as well........So if more people just practiced what greatdane said above and how to slow down the boat and then turn and at a steady but slow speed unless there is an emergency...head back to the downed rider.........it will end up being far more safe and keep the water calm, rider safe, people in the boat safe, safe gas, safe your rope, and help out other boater to have a better idea of where you will be and where they can pass!!!

And as far as the good point on boats going the wrong direction on the Delta I have know idea why people still can not figure out that if 98% of all the boats are heading in one direction you might want to get a clue and see that you might want to head the same way.......it still confuses me on why people do not get it!!! And those same people are the ones driving right through the 5 mph zones too........!!! T.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-06-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
to all the people saying they have to powerturn or their rider will get ran over I have to ask you why you are even riding then. The water is obviuosly choppy why not just go early or later in the day?
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
Power turns are lame & a sign of an inexperienced boat driver. It also shows a lack of respect for others on the lake. I'm really close to bringing a paintball gun onboard & unloading on unfriendlies. haha, j/k, not!
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-06-2007, 11:13 PM Reply   
I wish my dad would learn not to swamp me with my wake. man I gotta keep telling him, keeping my head above water is wearing me out more than wakeboarding lol. Seriously has anyone noticed the 5mph boy into union point has gone missing? anyone replaced it yet. My boat got slammed pretty hard the other day over there?
Old     (key_daddy)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-08-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
Cry more
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
Rick,from what I understand it does say to park your boat there at your own risk and I don't think the 5mph at union point is enforced or is one at all,I think it works purely on courtesy.I seen number of boats just hug the levee on the far side regardless if there are boats docked or not.I sometime drive by but only when there are NO boats and I'm pulling a rider!
Old     (edogg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Power turns are for mulletholders (speed boats).}
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-08-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
big Ed. No there use to be a 5mpg bouy out there about 2 months ago and there is 5mph one on the bridge for sure coming into union point from that direction. Yea I just DONT dock there, too bad because we spent a ton on food and drinks there. Now I will just go and anchor out and bring my own food. Loss for them not me, it is a good establishment though.
Old     (mackr0s)      Join Date: May 2006       07-09-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
Ill take a powerturner every day of the week, if they follow the line. A power turn wake only lasts 30 seconds and dissipates.

Cant stand two boats plowing wakes in 2 separate directions in a tiny cove. Thats the worst.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
true. very true, I think we should all just go one direction LOL
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-09-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
Powerturns are unnecessary. You can get back to your rider just a quickly in a MUCH safer manner. IMO most people powerturn because they can, thinking they are cool cause their boat can do donuts.
Honestly, why would anyone want to wakeboard with a boat so close to them that their own boat could not return in time
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Hey I thought that you were responsible for any damage YOUR wake makes, Does that mean if i spill my beer you owe me a beer
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-09-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
Well Powerturn wakes last all day on the delta and with all the people doing it the delta is changing into a lake. Wakeboarding after 12 is sometimes a challenge.
I will be installing a NO POWERTURNS sign in front of my island on old river this weekend. If you see it passing by and are in favor of it honk your horn and spread the word.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
Thats awesome i will honk my horn this weekend and everyweekend at ur sign :-)
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
anyway we can make a deal with the jetskiers that since there is no wakeboarding at disco bay they just stay there.......
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-09-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   

IT IS NEVER BETTER OR SAFER TO POWER TURN. Stay in the line of your rider!

(Message edited by jarrod on July 09, 2007)
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-09-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
I'm with J-Rod
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-09-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
people here need to catch people in the act. take a pict of people power turning. make a different section to post the picts. that ish will be funny
Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2007, 10:09 PM Reply   
I love the picture thing that is the best idea yet....although would be even better if we could post those pics on the signs we need to put up all over the Delta and lakes ....with their pics and this is who and what not to do.......LOL!!! Tobin
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
Anyone remember this guy and this thread. IMO its one of the best W/W thread's.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/354632.html
Upload
Old     (aquahawk)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
Al Qaida has been known to recruit POWERTURNERS.

...just when you thought it was safe to get your rider...