Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-07-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
Drove around the X-2 to get those break-in hours taken care of yesterday and noticed that the shaft as it goes through the packing gland had a fair amount of vibration.

Much more than our 96 D-drive did as far as I can tell. Is there a higher tolerance for movement in V-drives, or with a dripless gland as opposed to a flax packing? Something to worry about and get fixed? Any pointers would be welcome.

Thank you.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-07-2003, 12:43 PM Reply   
Did you see the vibration or feel it? There should little or no vibration...but runout needs to be measured with a micrometer.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-07-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
It is visible. The packing gland rubber hose part moves enough so that you can easily see it.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   
As long as you don't feel a vibration I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are concerned have MC check it with a micrometer. There is a certain tolerance it should be set to.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-07-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I didn't actually feel it cuz I didn't touch it, but if I had put my hand on the packing housing I am sure I would have felt it quite a bit. I can't think of a reason that the housing would be moving except for the shaft causing it to, so I take it that it needs to be set then?