Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-06-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
I'm sold on the wetsounds speakers and plan on buying the 3 some two pairs of xs-650's and the xxx sub within the week. I'm also looking at the wetsounds amps and really like them. My problem is i can get the jl audio m6600 for the 3 some, m4500 for the xs650's and the m1700 for the sub for the price of just one wetsound amp, the syn 6. If i go Wetsounds i'm gonna use the syn 6 for the tower the syn 4 for the xs650's and the syn 1 for the sub. I'm not questioning the quality of wetsounds amps just looking for opinions on whether the huge price difference is really worth it?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-06-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
I love JL amps, but I would not get the M series amps. I would only buy slash series amps. I don't know much about the WS amplifiers, but seriously would consider getting a 450/4 on your 3 some, a 300/2 on your xs-650's and depending on what sup you are going to run then a 500/1 or 1000/1. The JL slash amps are among the best IMO and have onboard power regulators. They will run all day long even down as low as 11V.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-06-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
JL Audio M series amps can get the job done but not as well and won't last as long.

The Slash series amps are built better, put out more clean power and will last longer.

The wetsounds amps I have not tried, but reviews have been good. Also they were designed with the help of Robert Zeff, who as anyone in the car audio industry knows, has designed some of the best amps ever made with his company Zapco.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-06-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Brian, the wetsounds amps are better technology IMO than the slash series amps ( JL does have a class D full range amp series that is close but no cigar), and more suited to being in a marine environment. Not to mention your getting some of the best customer service out there.

I've owned quite a few JL ( slash series) amps in the past...very good amps overall, but your paying alot for the name.
Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-06-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
I think I'm just going to go with the wetsounds amps. They seem to put out the most power for a marine amp and I'm sure they're high quality.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Brian, I know Tim is going to kill me for this but if you're budget is starting to stretch look at the KAR series by ARC. You'll get 80% of the WetSounds amps functionality and save some coin. You'll lose the "marineness" of the amps (most people will tell you that isn't a problem if you're from a dry climate) and the custom stuff that was done to the 6 channel. I know an authorized dealer of both if you need some help.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-06-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Brian,

You will LOVE the Wet Sounds Syndicate series amps. I promise!

Evilone, your right. HAHA. Since he is running the 3-Some. The SYN6 is the only amplifier that is truly built to properly power that set up. With the ARC KS, there is not an amp that can run the 3-Some. So it would leave having to run 2 amps like the KS 300.2 or under powering the set up with the KS 300.4

Same thing with the Jl m6600. That amp would be doing 150 watts to each. Which would be ok on the 80's but a lot less power than the 485 can handle and needs, only 150. (80's are rated at 200 watts rms and the 485 is rated at 300 watts rms. But I like to run more power than that to the 485)

Same thing with the JL 450.4. It would be 300 to the 485 but only 75 to the 80's.

The syndicate amps are very efficient. So less heat and less current draw. Which means more playing time and less strain on your charging system.

We use class H for the power supplies which is a switching power supply. It is unique in that it has the efficiency of the class d's and full range class d's but has the sound quality of a class ab. Where most class d and full range class d amps have higher distortion ratings.

JL has a new full range class d amp. HD 600/4 that does 150 x 4. 150 to the 80's and 300 to the 485. So that line is not as much power but closer to an apples to apples. I believe the HD 600/4 is pretty close to the same price as the SYN-6.

With the SYN-6. You will be doing 200 x 2 to the 80's and 600 x 1 to the 485. A true 1000 watts on the tower.

You are right on with the SYN4 on the inboats and SYN1 for the XXX.

You could also save some money and still have a ton of power if you went for the SYN-6 running the in boats and XXX. The SYN-6 can do high pass or low pass on chs 5-6. So you would be doing 60x4 on the XS-650 and 600x1 at 4 ohms mono on the XXX. (it is a dual 2 ohm woofer, so wire it in series) If you put that woofer in the slot loaded ported box. That 600 watts is good power for it. We have had a ton of guys doing this exact set up.

2 amp system. SYN-6 on the 3-Some and SYN-6 on the inboats and XXX woofer.

Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help out.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-07-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
I wish the customer service / access to the "big guy" were this good for every company. I also wish I could afford wetsounds stuff!!

ONE DAY!