Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (noble59)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
When I was test driving my "new" boat (a 2004 Malibu VLX Wakesetter), I became concerned about the steering. If you are at speed, say 25 mph, and let go of the steering wheel, the boat makes a very hard right turn. Is this normal? The turn was so hard, it seemed a little dangerous. Is there an adjustment that can be made to the rudder? Please help.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
That's normal, it's from the prop wash. There was a fix installed on the newer bu's to compensate for this on the rudder. It's only availble from 05 on though. You could change your rudder out, every inboard I've ever driven has done this.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-01-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
I always hear people say all inboards do this, but none of the Sangers' I've owned ever even pulled slightly. It ain't just prop wash...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
I've never driven a sanger. Must be that they are superior to any boat I've ever driven
Old     (kiraly_74)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
I don't know about superior but I will say well rigged and mechanically Sound. Shake and Bake. I never need but two fingers to drive my boat. My buddies vlx does the yard to the right thing though. I dont mind it makes right hand turns easy and their is alot of those on the Delta.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-01-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
I have an 04 Malibu VLX, it drives straight as an arrow at any speed. The wheel never turns on it's own.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-01-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
"I have an 04 Malibu VLX, it drives straight as an arrow at any speed. The wheel never turns on it's own."

So much for the "prop wash" theory. lol
Old    walt            07-01-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
I don't remember any of the Malibu's that I've driven doing that.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
I can drive our 05 with a rider in tow and not even have my hands on the wheel and it drives pretty straight and true. But then again it is an 05 with the rudder adjustment deally
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-01-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Some people "tune" their rudders so that they do that. Its called loading the steering, and it makes it easier to drive in a straight line because the wheel won't "float" on center.

Really a trick derived from slalom skiing and tournament slalom boats. Check out the rudder, and see if any part looks like it was ground on with a grinder. If so, post up where and how it was shaped, and someone on here or I can tell you how to alter it again to take the load out. Not too hard, just intimidating on your own boat. I've done 2 or 3 boats, and its possible to dial in just the amount of load you are comfortable with.

The newer style rudder has an adjustable piece in the rudder than you can piviot to do the same thing.

Any dealer or good slalom driver should also be able to help you with the grinding process.

(Message edited by dhcomp on July 01, 2007)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
Do some research "Sparky" maybe you'll learn something LOL
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-01-2007, 11:28 PM Reply   
Sanger's rudder is offset to the starboard side. Mine will hold straight with hands off the wheel for quite a while at any speed.
To get rid of torque on the rudder you just change its shape a bit. Here's an article that will help you.
http://waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=12220&typeID=123&categoryID=162

You don't need much shape change and it will probably change more or less at different speeds so do it in stages.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Great article Art thanks. Sorry I called it prop wash, torque is the correct term. Read up "Sparky" school is in session.
Old     (noble59)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
I am the third owner of the boat. The first owner was a professional wakeboarder and I've talked to him about it. Apparently, the rudder has been "tuned" by grinding on it. It will have to have some more grinding to offset. Can anybody tell me how to go about the process? As soon as I can I will look at the rudder and give ya'll a description so you can advise. Thanks!

(Message edited by Noble59 on July 02, 2007)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
nu bu, looks like you're the one learning, not me.lol
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
How do you figure? I already told you it's an issue with malibu's.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-02-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
Kenneth, Just grind opposite to where it was ground the first time. You probably have to grind the starboard side at the back but read that article and look carefully at the rudder the way it is now. If you took the boat on trailer to a machine shop they'd probably do it cheap while you wait. You could also do it with a drill and a rasp bit designed for cutting bronze.
If you do it yourself you can fine tune it just right for you.