Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (billybobfl2001)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-27-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
I have been trying to talk my wife into us buying a new boat for at least the last 2 years. It has been a difficult chore given that we have a 10-year old boat that is still in good shape and for the most part meets our needs.

Well, I finally got her to go to a couple of dealers over the weekend and she actually said "OK lets get a new one, but I want to pick the colors."

Well the colors that she is gravitating to is a most pink over black or pink and vapor blue. These seem like really "girly" colors.

It is worth letting her pick the colors to have her "on-board" with the major purchase or put my foot down and say "no way I will have a boat in those colors" and risk loosing the deal.

I know some of you married boarders have been faced with the same dilemma. What are your thoughts?

Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
The question is can you picture yourself in a pink boat.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-27-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Is it a Bu ? My dealer has a 06 VLX which is all black with hot pink accents and it looks hot ! I honestly never thought I would like it but I have not heard one person who has seen this boat think it was "girly". Just keep the pink to a minimum and you should be fine.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
Relationships are about compramise. In her mind she has already compramised by considering a new boat which it sounds like she was against for a few years. It's your turn to compramise and allow her to have some say so with the colors within reason. The pink you are talking about may be completely different than the visual I have in my mind but either way it doesn't sound good.

If "Girly" colors are not what you want, perhaps you can subtly persuede her to more manly color schemes by telling her that "pink" will have negative impact on resale value down the road, thus costing your more money in the long run. Chances are money issues have been in the back of her mind from the beginning and this reasoning may appeal to her intellect. Then again if you say yes to the color scheme then she may very well think you are the greatest husband in the world and home life just gets that little bit better. Good luck with the choices and be sure to post pics when the new toy arrives.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-27-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
She's bluffing....knowing that you will not go with a pink boat and therefore not let her pick those colors. Call her bluff...go with the pink boat!

Eric
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
Why would a manafacturer even have pink as a color option? It should be against the law.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-27-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
Randy Harris had a black and pink SAN....

I know a guy who got a boat and his wife wanted to pick the colors (White/blue/and green). One of the cleanest looking SAN's on the water.

I say let her pick the colors.

(Message edited by antbug on February 27, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-27-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Bill:

Simply explain that you'll have a hell of a time selling a pink boat. The market for your used boat will be somewhat limited. You could end up getting less for it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-27-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
does she ride with you? it would suck to go along with her colors and then her never set a foot in the boat...

sounds to me like you've been compromising for two years on buying it. make her compromise on the color. let her pick but lose the pink. Is she really expecting you to buy a pink boat?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-27-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
pink is hardcore! I ride bikes with a dude with a pink bmx bike and that mofo can pull double back flips.

I think its different and cool a pink boat doesnt make you less of a man, or doesnt make the boat and worse than a black or red or white boat. I do agree it might be hard to sell a pink boat, but it might not be. Its nice to be different sometimes.

Do you have a picture of what the boat looks like? or similar?
Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-27-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
You have a 10 year old boat now,is the color TEAL?
No one wants a teal boat now and nobody will want a pink one later, Most won't want one now!
Get anything but Vapor,pink even extreme green is boarder line.
Get your balls out of the box.Good luck
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Compromise in another direction......offer her the freedom to add a few "must have" chick things....like Coach bags, jewelry, expensive clothes, a new car in lew of picking a boat color or anything else....audio, etc. It works for me! A boat is "man" stuff!!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-27-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
sorry, but if my wife was allowing me to get a new boat, but the only way, was with these colors, I would do it in a heartbeat. but if you don't "need" a new boat, why get one at all?
Upload
Upload
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
Keep what you have if it still meets your needs. I would not want a pink boat...
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-27-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Color negotiations must be strategic and well timed. First start with the "we got to match the tow rig" plan. Then try matching house trim, boat cover, or even your wake boards. One thing about my wife is that everything must coordinate some how. Pick you color scheme and say "this is what I would really like to have". Then say nothing else for at least a week. Be patient. Never negotiate while drinking or during certain times of the lunar calendar.
From my experience timing seemed to be the most crucial aspect in color negotiations. I too almost ended up with a pink/vapor blue boat. That experience taught me a lot about family negotiations and color perception as it coincides with the natural cycle of life.

However if all else fails remember the BIG picture: you're getting a new boat and who cares what the boat looks like when you're behind it.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
Upload

if it looks like that, i'd gladly rock a pink boat
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Ok, that doesnt' look too bad...still wouldn't be my top pick but not bad.
Old     (billybobfl2001)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-27-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
It is a Bu and the colors I think were like the VLX in Jeff's post except reverse, Pink on the side with Black deck and bottom.

My gut feeling is "I can live with whatever she picks", but then I think man is that going to be an ugly boat.

Maybe, there is some room for compromise, but I perceive that I must do so carefully, so as not to turn her off to the new boat.

I would say that she will be on the boat 90% of the time it is being used, and I want her to be excited about boarding more than she does now.

Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
Do what I did, bring home the boat you want and tell her it's a DEMO. After a week or two of it sitting in the garage, she'll get the picture. When she asked me "Did you buy that boat, I said of course I did". She got over it pretty quick, hse had been wnating a newer boat for a year or two. The difference was that our old boat was 15 years old and was beginning to get in that "something needing to be replaced everytime we used it..." stage.

Good luck, but IMO I dont think the pink looks good. Maybe you can get it black with pink vinyl to match the boat she likes, then when you go to sell it, take it off.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-27-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
That pink malibu is pretty sweet! :-)
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-27-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
bill-show your spouse Jeff's pic and see if she will compromise with mostly black w/pink accents. Jeff's pic is the same color scheme I posted about earlier and believe me in person its a sweet looking boat. I doubt anybody would question ones manhood tooling around in that bad$$ <$50k boat. Those colors just beg to have scantily clad women dancing on the rear deck
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-27-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
Good luck at resale time...

Will she compromise with Black/Vapor?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
red is kind of close to pink, and not one bit girly...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       02-27-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
women usually have pretty good style... yikes did I just say that?
Anywho, make sure it isn't too outlandish, if she wants some girly colors make sure to include some greys and blacks as a contrast, it cant be baby blue, pink and yellow and teal, that just doesnt work...
even if the pink is girly... 5 years down the road there is going to be a wife who wont let her husband buy new, then she sees your boat for sale "girly" colors and used = good deal
go for the new boat and if all else fails with negotiating make a few strategic calls from your workplace to the factory to intercept the order and change it up a bit... "afterall hunny, those colors became discontinued and I had to make a split second decision" haha
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
Those two pink boats are the ugliest boats I have ever seen.

Just don't get a Malibu and go to a different dealer that doesn't offer pink. Then when she picks the available colors for that particular boat see if she will let you get the Malibu in the color choice of brand X.

Taking her to the other manafacturer's boat will oper her eyes to acceptable colors. I hope so for your sake.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
I would ROCK that pink BU on a lake/river any day.I do agree with J- ROD on the resale fact. If you are secure in you're man-hood just do it. I would pimp the hell out of that BU.
Old    bocephus            02-27-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
Dude,
Get a pair, maybe you should call your mom up too, and get her suggestions on color or even engine size...

You need to start listening to Tom Leykis
http://www.blowmeuptom.com/
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-27-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
As ong as you arent in San Fran then go with the pink, that Bu looks awesome.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
Bocephus, Thats funny
Bill does your wife like
Upload
Upload
Old    bocephus            02-27-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
Hey Grant,
I'm too stupid to understand the reference but I'm single and staying that way. You wouldn't want a bunch of little Bocephuses running around would you? I'm also a graduate of Leykis 101.

Thanks,
The resident wakeworld jerk!

(Message edited by bocephus on February 27, 2006)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
Bocephus: It was a lame attempt at humor. I thought the Vapor Blue and Pink Bills wife wanted reminded me of Tubbs and Crokett from Miami Vice.

BTW: IMO The Pink and Black BU is Bad Ass.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-27-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
I was in the exact same situation last Memorial Day weekend. We were looking at a Vride and an XTI both in dark blue/black/white; also a silver one. Had not even tried to talk her into a VLX.

She saw a Vapor blue/black/white VLX on the floor that matched her Mini Cooper and it was a done deal. I had a choice.... jump on the VLX or take my chances on her changing her mind.

I think the dark blue looks better on a trailer but the Vapor blue looks better on the water. I guess she was right. BTW, the vapor blue/black/white combo was what Malibu used in their brochures for the VLX so someone must have liked it.Upload
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-27-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
nothing homo about it, pink and black boats rock!!!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
It sure would be an attention getter, and thats all that matters on the water
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
I am lucky, wife said I can get a new boat as long as it is RED... put a deposit on an all red x1 with red sripe on Saturday
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
What's wrong with letting your wife pic the colors. She also wanted the 8.1. I let her have that also!

Upload
Upload

For more pics visit my gallery at http://vgallery.slavick.com/Default.aspx?p=NewLSV/
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-27-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
i had the same happen to me the wife wanted some colors that i thought might be hard to sell if we needed to sell the boat. finally agreed on a color scheme we could both live with. remember resale.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
Resale won't be a problem. I was told the same thing about my all white LSV. I had no problem selling it either. There is always a buyer out their.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-28-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
Larry : I was thinking the same thing. Lots of people say that white deck boats have better re-sale, IMO I would pay more for a solid color that I liked just because it dosent look like every other boat. IMO 99% of the boats out there look like they didnt put any thought into the color. What I mean is they look like they just walked onto a dealers lot and bought what the dealer had. Most dealers order "Safe color's" Black and white, ect. Its a trend that seems to be changing starting with BU's. Im seeing more wild colors and the dealers are starting to reconize that ordering a Black boat is not a liability.
Do you remember when the all black SAN's with the white stripe were out. People were saying the same thing Ooo hell no a black boat is a pain in the but to own and they are super hot to walk on and re-sale is going to be bad bla bla bla. Im guessing if you had 2 SAN's both with the same options and hrs and price but one was all black and one was white with a accent colors Ill bet the all black one would sell faster.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-28-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Im with ya Grant. Black boats with a splash of color are the sexiest on the water IMO. Harder to maintain but well worth it.
Old     (billybobfl2001)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-28-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
Even if I could talk her into the black boat with the pink accents I would worry about the black. I am in Florida and my current boat has some navy accents that get so hot in the summer that they burn you when step on them or lay your arm across them. I generaly have to keep a town handy to throw up there if we are sitting for a while.

I ran I-Spec with white instead of the black and its not bad, but probably not what I would pick given the choice.

Thanks for the input, I am still mulling over how to let her have her say without being too flashy with the pink.
Old     (billybobfl2001)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-28-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
Sorry, a towel not a town

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-28-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
that pink is nasty. blah you'll be kicking yourself in a year or so when it is not trendy anymore.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-28-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
Get Dallas Friday to autograph it and tell everyone it was her boat and you got a deal on it when they upgraded her. I think Dallas' boat looks just like that.