Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    swass            07-26-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
I heard a rumor that MC's 2005 X2 will feature a "fly by wire" throttle. Is this true?
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-26-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
He calls it 'Throttle by Wire' but this is what I read:

BIG ENGINE NEWS: All engines are now throttle by wire (like most street cars these days)...bigger news??? All upgrade engines (MCX, LQ9 & L18) will feature MasterCraft Cruise (Nothing to do with PerfectPass) as a standard no cost built in feature. PerfectPass Wakeboard and Pro will integrate with the throttle-by-wire...no more servos and cables! As a side note I took delivery of a 2005 PS197 (MCX Slot) Friday 6/25/04 and love the new throttle-by-wire and PerfectPass Pro.

Found here: http://www.mymastercraft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-26-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
Yes it is true that there is no more throttle cable on the 2005 X2. I had the pleasure of driving the 1st X2 delivered this weekend in Dallas for our 2nd tournament stop. I can tell you that the drive by wire takes a little getting used to as you get no feedback from the throttle as to how much power you're getting/putting to the rider but once you get used to it you'll love it. It's very low effort.
Old     (mosdefn14)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-26-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
that x2 was bad a$$ zach...post a picture of it
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-26-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
Here are a few pics of Richie McKee's TXMC School of Boarding 2005 X2

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-26-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
can someone explain what that really means for us idiots who dont know anything? "throttle by wire"
Old    akman            07-26-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
Swass, the head of the "Water Recreation Fun and Games" department, ie: HOLLY already put an end to any thoughts of getting a new ride so just give it a rest............
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-26-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
Electronic Throttle Control (Drive By Wire or Fly By Wire)
Introduction
The throttle cable has almost become redundant on today's motor vehicle. The drive-by-wire system is by no means a new concept as it was introduced by BMW on their 7 series range back in 1988. The system BMW use is referred to as EML (German term for electronic throttle control). The system has now found its way onto other vehicles with humbler routes and can be found on base models. Historically a mechanical linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle butterfly has always existed, be it via a cable or via rods and linkages. These have now been replaced by sophisticated electronic control modules, sensors and actuators. This system is also referred to 'Fly-by-Wire'.

There are several reasons why electronic throttle actuation is preferable to a conventional throttle cable:

The vehicle's on board electronic systems are able to control all of the engine's operation with the exception of the amount of incoming air.
The use of throttle actuation ensures that the engine only receives the correct amount of throttle opening for any give situation
The optimisation of the air supply will also ensure that harmful exhaust emissions are kept to an absolute minimum and derivability is maintained, regardless of the circumstances. Coupling the electronic throttle actuation to the adaptive cruise control, traction control, idle speed control and vehicle stability control systems also means finer control can be achieved.
The use of such a system has advantages over the conventional cable version by:

Eliminating the mechanical element of a throttle cable and substituting it with fast responding electronics, reduces the number of moving parts (and associated wear) and therefore requires minimum adjustment and maintenance.
Greater accuracy of data improves the driveability of the vehicle, which in turn provides better response and economy.

As found at: http://www.picotech.com/auto/applications/electronic_throttle_control.html
Old    swass            07-26-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
The Reader's Digest version: There is no mechanical linkage. A computer interprets your throttle inputs and adjusts accordingly.

So, Aki, is it your position that this kick-butt feature is not the blue-chip bargaining tool that I envision?
Old    akman            07-26-2004, 4:32 PM Reply   
Swass: Holly the new X2 is going to have this new gadget that controls the amount of air/fuel mixture and will have less moving parts than our Malibu Response.

Holly: And what does that all translate to me?

Swass: When we get our new X2 it will be easier to maintain.

Holly: Our new X2???

Swass: uh yea didn't I tell you the boat was for sale?

Holly: I hope it can also remodel my bathroom, kitchen and family room......and it better come with a pillow and a real comfortable bed because that is what you will be doing and where you will be sleeping for the next 15 years.......

Swass: Uh, uh, uh........I can live with that.

How does that sound for starters?????

Or is this a better scenario.......

Holly: Chris WTF are you thinking, there is no way in HELL you are getting a new boat, end of discussion!!!!!

Old    swass            07-26-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
Oh, it'll be shorter than that:

Me: Holly, can I...

Holly: NO! And don't ask me again!

Me: but....

Holly: Shut it!
Old    akman            07-26-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
You forgot the part where she calls you an IDIOT!
Old    swass            07-26-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
Regardless of the topic at hand, that is implied at all times. On occasion, it is explicitly stated.

(Message edited by swass on July 26, 2004)
Old    wakelvr            07-26-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-26-2004, 7:58 PM Reply   
So when Holly gets her X2 can I ride behind it?
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-26-2004, 9:34 PM Reply   
Man I dig the new tower. Looks sweet
Old    swass            07-27-2004, 5:20 AM Reply   
You bet, Blabel!
Old    swass            07-29-2004, 5:50 AM Reply   
I was told that using PerfectPass bypasses the "throttle by wire" feature. True?
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-29-2004, 6:30 AM Reply   
No Swass that's not correct. When you're using Perfect Pass the "throttle by wire" works the same way that the regular throttle with cable works.
Old    swass            07-29-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
That's what I was thinkin'. Thank you.
Old    akman            07-29-2004, 8:47 AM Reply   
Swass, no matter how hard you try to "SPIN" this as a great thing to Holly it's not going to happen.

Just buck up, fix whatever it is she has been wanting you to fix, remodel, or clean.

Better to lose the battle but win the war in the end.
Old    wakelvr            07-29-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
Gramps is on to something here. It's called the "Marriage Bank". You do something really nice for her, and then you cash out. Get it? Haha!

Let's see, how many trips to the bank will you need to make.....?

Good luck Swass, we are all cheering you on!
Old    akman            07-29-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Swass, something nice does include taking her to dinner but unfortunately for you that doesn't include buying a "happy meal" from McDonalds!!!!!
Old    swass            07-29-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Women. Her reply regarding the throttle: "Sounds expensive if it breaks."

You mean I need to deposit before I withdraw? No wonder I'm always in the red.
Old    wakelvr            07-30-2004, 8:57 AM Reply   
make several deposits!
Old    swass            07-30-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Double entendres - my favorite!

"You mean I need to deposit before I withdraw?" Hmmm...maybe that's why she's grumpy!