Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-28-2014, 11:02 PM Reply   
Ok so I finally am finished with this project! Whew!!!

SO let me start off by saying that this is definitely a winter project. Very time consuming and a long lead time procuring the material. I started this project in mid April and finished mid July.

Boat: 2012 MB Sports F-23 Tomcat

Name:  IMG_1245.jpg
Views: 7776
Size:  85.4 KB

Timeline:

- Mid April start

- Removed all the carpet (1 day)

- Partially created the template from the SeaDek kit (1 day) (partially because SeaDek did not send me enough material for the whole boat)

- Waited another week for the extra template kit to arrive.

- Mailed off the templates On May 2nd

- CAD Drawings where emailed for approval on May 30th (4 weeks)

- Had a few alterations that needed to be made in the jointing pattern and spent a week or so emailing back and forth with SeaDek to explain my issues.

- Drawings had to go back to CAD for modification, Finally got them back for approval June 25th (3.5 weeks)

- Floor manufacturing complete July 3rd (1 week)

- Shipped from Florida to Portland (1 week)

Total time from Templates to delivery = 10 weeks!

Based on the information on their website I had expected this time period to be about 5.5 to 6 weeks so this put me a month behind schedule

Customer Service with Seadek was challenging and I got pretty frustrated at times. At one point I emailed back and forth a few times with one of the Sales VP's about my frustration. His comments were that he was sorry for my issues but that SeaDek has experienced tremendous growth this year and was in the process of moving to a larger facility and were hiring and training more people. So hopefully in the future, their lead time will be cut down some.

In the end though, I am very happy with the product they have supplied and that has somewhat made me forget about the poor customer service.

Name:  Template.jpg
Views: 3741
Size:  39.4 KB
Name:  Template 3.jpg
Views: 3836
Size:  94.8 KB

On the bright side, all this waiting has given me ample time to prep the floor for the new flooring - and that takes a lot of time!

Once I got the carpet stripped away, the hard work began removing all or the old carpet adhesive. Im not sure if the carpet that comes in our boats is cheap or if the adhesive is just really good because while removing the old carpet individual strands or pieces would remain stuck to the floor pulling through the mesh.

Name:  IMG_1302.jpg
Views: 3693
Size:  96.8 KB

To remove the old adhesive I tried a couple things : Mineral spirits, MEK, and Acetone.

both the MEK and Acetone did a fair job but the evaporation rate on them is too quick requiring a lot of re-application.

I found that if I covered the areas with rags and then wet them with mineral spirits letting them soak for a bit, the adhesive came off pretty easy with a scraper in the flatter smooth areas.

Name:  IMG_1280.jpg
Views: 3726
Size:  148.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1281.jpg
Views: 3676
Size:  94.3 KB

The raw fiberglass beneath the carpet however is not very smooth and not very flat so it took quite a bit of scraping and scrubbing with a brillo pad in those areas to get it all off.

After getting all of the adhesive off I next had to "level" a couple areas. The areas over the ballast tanks was nice and level but the transition from the Starboard tank to the observers compartment was very uneven. I also found that the area under the helm was quite uneven as well. I used bondo to fill in and level both these areas as best I could. The SeaDek does "show" uneven areas a lot more than the carpet did primarily because of the routed in "lines" creating the faux teak effect so my advice to anyone doing this is to take the time and make sure some of the rougher areas are level and smooth.

Name:  IMG_1557.jpg
Views: 3767
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1537.jpg
Views: 3723
Size:  69.7 KB

Next I prepped the floor with a couple coats of urethane bed liner (I used Monsterliner) to seal the fiberglass surface and create a nice smooth bonding surface for the SeaDek. You can get this stuff in many different colors, I choose black.

Name:  IMG_1572.jpg
Views: 3732
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1573.jpg
Views: 3651
Size:  76.6 KB

Finally the flooring showed up in the mail and it was time to finish the job.

Name:  IMG_1585.jpg
Views: 3617
Size:  66.2 KB

For those of you that have not seen this stuff it is basically a big sticker. For each piece you take a sharp razor bblade and gently slice through the paper backing near the middle of the piece and turn up the corners. Then you dry fit it and position it where you want it. You then tape one side down with masking tape to keep it from moving.

Once you have it in place you start applying the non taped side starting at the middle where you sliced the paper backing pulling it off as you press the flooring down working from the center to the edges. after you get one side down you peel off the massking tape and do the same with the other half.

CAUTION - GO SLOW, take your time because once you stick it down it is STUCK!! there is no pulling it back up and re-positioning.

I found that in a couple places after I had installed it, a few air bubble formed. Not sure if this was because of heat or sunlight or some reaction with the glue. I used a small exacto Knife to make small slits in the bubble and forced the air out.. worked great.

Name:  IMG_1596.jpg
Views: 3671
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1603.jpg
Views: 3598
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1622.jpg
Views: 3663
Size:  70.0 KB

And that is really all there is to it..

This project is more on the expensive side. Seadek charges by how many sheets of material it takes to cut all the pieces. I opted to do the lockers as well with the Faux Teak as I wanted everything to match but I think a lot of money could be saved by doing the "hidden" areas such as the lockers in their standard material and the interior floor in the fancier stuff.

All in with the chemicals to remove the adhesive, the monsterliner, and the Seadek for the entire boat including the swim platform was around $3k. Getting rid of that crappy, wet moldy carpet... Priceless B)

Name:  IMG_1246.jpg
Views: 3776
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1613.jpg
Views: 7441
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1661.jpg
Views: 3553
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1662.jpg
Views: 3697
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1664.jpg
Views: 3933
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1665.jpg
Views: 3635
Size:  127.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1666.jpg
Views: 3630
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1668.jpg
Views: 3606
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1669.jpg
Views: 3648
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1670.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1618.jpg
Views: 3615
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1672.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  87.8 KB
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-28-2014, 11:32 PM Reply   
Wow, good write up. I knew it was taking forever, I had no idea it was taking that long. No wonder you wanted to go slumming it on the Supra lol.
It looks awesome, reminds me of the flooring of a G, actually it is the flooring of a G.
Getting it out soon to try and get the surf gates dialed in?
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-28-2014, 11:45 PM Reply   
Seadek looks so much better then a carpet.. very nice work.

Last edited by OneCent; 07-28-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-29-2014, 3:23 AM Reply   
Very Sharp Looking. I want to do mine in the grey.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-29-2014, 6:39 AM Reply   
Very well done, what did you end up spending?
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-29-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
congrats man, excellent workmanship and looks great, fantastic job you did on the project
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-29-2014, 6:46 AM Reply   
top ten DIY of all time for sure!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-29-2014, 6:52 AM Reply   
your boat is incredible. Very nice work!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-29-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
Wow, amazing work. I am very OCD about stickers and such being straight, so it stresses me out just looking at your pics of putting that stuff down!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2014, 6:57 AM Reply   
Amazing!! If my LSV doesn't sell this year, this is on my winter upgrade list
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-29-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Damn, what a project. that said, it's pretty obvious that you go with top shelf stuff on your boat. It's impressive.
Old     (kcxstar1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-29-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
I literally had just sent and email to SeaDeck asking about final drawings for approval before I saw this post. It has been about 2.5 weeks since I sent in final adjustments. Total project time is approaching 3 months, some of that is on me. They don't appear to be in any hurry but glad to hear final product is worth it. I look forward to getting the last of my projects done for the year. Had all new upholstery done over the winter months.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-29-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
That looks incredible. Awesome work and great write up. Thanks for posting.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-29-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! It was a ton of work but well worth it I think.

@ Desi - I have been at Lake Chelan for the last week and a half and I think the gates are dialed in nicely. When I get back next week You and Trayson will have to come test them out. got my new Soulcraft as well you can review

@Grant - Thanks for the advice and inspiration. All in with tools, chemicals, monsterliner and SeaDeck I am right around $3K. I did the swim platform and back steps as well.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-29-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Good to hear about the gates. I'll be there with bells on.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-29-2014, 12:42 PM Reply   
Wow, nice job. That's a hell of a project to tackle.

How does the template kit from seadek work?
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-29-2014, 1:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmayotte View Post
Wow, nice job. That's a hell of a project to tackle.

How does the template kit from seadek work?
They send you a kit with sheets of Mylar film, and a marker.
You lay the Mylar down and trace the different shapes. Then roll it up and send it in. Then they scan the tracings and import it to CAD. They will send you "dry fits" of the CAD lines printed onto new Mylar sheets with the teak lines to check for fit and alignment. You can make adjustments to the dry fits if necessary.

Make sure you order enough Mylar to do your project. It comes in individual rolls the same size as their maximum sheet size
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-29-2014, 4:31 PM Reply   
Russ You did a great job, What made you decide to go with Sea Deck over Synthetic Teak like Nu Teak or Plas Deck?
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-29-2014, 5:57 PM Reply   
Grant- I just kind of had my heart set on SeaDek. I really like the looks of yours but I wanted something soft and padded on my feet.
Ever since I saw it in a G I knew that is what I wanted.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-29-2014, 5:59 PM Reply   
I can say that brown faux teak stays pretty cool too. I just spent the whole day on the lake at 95 degrees plus and the floor stayed cool. Vinyl was hot as hell but the floor was fine