Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-19-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
I had my acl replaced on the 10th of last month I went to 3 weeks of rehab 3 times a week. I have full range of motion it has not hurt since I had it done I was walking in less than a week. the pt told me I am one of the quickest recoveries they have seen. my question is I would like to try to get on the wake skate I felt like I could have 2 weeks ago. I was able to do that with it torn with no pain at all. the week after I tore it I tried to get back on the wakeboard and that did not feel good when I tried to jump. so I tried the wakeskate and had no probs at all did that till the day of the surgery so I want to know if it would be a bad idea of coarse I will not try to jump or anything just ride around and work on mechanics and getting in better shape than before. alot of the pt is similar to what I could do on a wake skate
Old     (benny_g)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
hey mate... i feel your pain!!!!

mate i had a quick recovery like yours... and was back riding at three and a half months...ie throwing backrolls etc.... i busted my azz at the gym for a good solid 5 months and now i am riding with out the brace again...feels good... but this is not recommended.... just my situation....

like your phisio, mine said it was one of the quickest recoveries he had ever seen.....

good luck man

benny
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       09-19-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
hey dude i had my acl and meniscus done last jan and i was riding the skate in july..my doc told me not to ride for a year but the skate is a lot easier on the knee but i would wait at least 6 months, and stay in the gym and work out your legs a lot, keep the knee strong, and i had a custom knee brace made and my insurance paid for all but 200 of it so look it to that, good luck man you dont want to do hurt it again
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       09-20-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
Im waiting for the details on my MRI and will be in the same boat as you guys soon (not literally). Im a big snowboarder too so Im hoping to get whatever needs to be done and then take it easy on the snowboard through the winter and be back with a vengence in the summer...
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
I'm on my second ACL reconstruction . . . did the left one two years ago and now I'm on the couch recovering from the right one. My doctor's rule of thumb is six months. I had my strength and mobility back at three months but he warned that the ligament itself is not fully healed until somewhere between 5-6 months after surgery. So I waited til the 6 month mark before I started doing anything crazy. I'll miss ski/snowboard season this year, but I'll be good to go come April for wakeboarding season.

Good luck trying to ride around and work on mechanics . . . I actually tore my ACL back in April but told the doc that I wanted to wait until after the season to have surgery. My plan was to take it easy this season and work on the basics. Apparently, I have a lack of self control because I was back to jumping about three weeks into my season.

Whatever you decide, be smart about it -- it would be a shame to tear that new ligament before it's even had a chance to fully heal. Good luck!
Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-20-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
I had acl reconstruction in mid July. My Doc told me that the ligament works like this. The ligament is super strong right after surgery. However, the body does not have the appropriate blood supply to the ligament so much of the ligament is absorbed into the body. At week 8,9,10 the ligament is at it's weekest. After this point the body begins to supply it with the nutrients that it needs and it gets stronger from then on. My Doc warned me of this early and often, that I would feel much better that the knee actually was. I'd say workout, and get stronger for the first 6 months before you start to shock the knee. Either way ACL's SUCK!!! Good luck.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-20-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
like I said I do not want to do anything crazy by any means. I want to make it as strong as possible and I think that just spinning around on the wake skate without doing anything stupid will make it stronger just riding fakey no jumping of coarse. the wake skate never put any stress on it before I had surgery so I figure it will not after. and maybe I am just hard headed and crazy
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-21-2007, 3:44 AM Reply   
Chris....three ACLs myself! I agree with Kai: your knee will feel better than it really is. If you don't give it time for the new ligament to firmly attach to the bone, it will fail. It's why I had the same knee blow out twice. Went back too early!
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-21-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
It takes ONE YEAR for the new ACL to PROPERLY heal. You can do stuff before that, but you're putting yourself at risk of blowing it again.

Did you like the surgery? Do you like the rehab? Want to do it again? Think about that before you start going crazy on it before the year is up, no matter how good it feels.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-21-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Chris, the biggest question is if you can exercise restraint? I also agree that it takes time to get better. Someone told me that the 5-7 month range is the most dangerous since the knee feels good, but it really hasnt healed yet. I personally got a CTI2 knee brace and wore it for just about any activity for the first few months. Now I am 8-9 months out and I take the brace off for surfing, and spinning (as in on a spinner bike). My doc told me that they used to think it took 6 mos to a year for full recovery; but new studies suggest closer to 18 mos to two years! The thing that the doctor and PT guys focused on was that bulge area to the upper inside of your knee cap on your quad. They said that is where they really wanted to see strength and symmetry before releasing me. I still focus on working that muscle out almost everyday.

I also believe each situation is different depending on both the circumstances and the individuals work ethic.

I had a similar situation where they were amazed at my recovery. If you have a minute can you pm me with details about before and after surgery. I am curious if your situation is similar to my own.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-21-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
First things first, knee surgery sucks, been there twice and my fiance had hers done in March. Stay in gym, sell your board or give it to a friend across town man. I promise there is no amount of restraint in the world that can keep a wakeboarding from doing something stupid when they're on a board...espeically when he/she should be on it in the first place. Great comment earlier, did you like injury, pain, surgery, pain, rehab, pain. I've got no cartiledge left and am grinding bone on bone, still going, if I can walk at 50 and play with kids I'll be suprised!
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-21-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
sorry, didn't want to give the wrong idea, keep riding, only when it heals.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-21-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
I am happy to have the feedback and I agree with all points yet I must say I do not want to get back on a wakeboard until next season I am 33 and can not afford to hurt it again. that is why I want to wakeskate because after the injury and before my mri I tried to get back on my wakeboard and it did not feel good at all the same day i got on the wakeskate and I did not even know that I ever got hurt. it was just good exercise and I know I should not jump or anything stupid. I figure if I did it with no acl left than with a new one I should be fine. and I have not decided the hell with what people say I am taking to heart other experiences Thanks Again!
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-21-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
Good thread....I'm having acl surgery on the 1st of Oct. Kinda bummed cause I usually ride through winter. Oh well.
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-22-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Chris -- the difference between doing it without an ACL and with the new one is that without the ACL . . . well, it's already gone so you can't make it any more gone than it already is. With the new one, you can tear it again before it's fully healed. And then, you're back to square one.