Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (tnlakes)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-13-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
I just read the article posted about winterizing your boat and wondered if anyone "blocks" their trailer and if so, how do you do it?
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-13-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
I just put mine up on jack stands using a heavy duty floor jack. Jacks stands at the tounge (not folding part), and one on each rear axle (tandem) sorry i dont have pictures.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-13-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
If you're talking about parking the trailer for winter with the wheels off the ground, it's not really necessary with radial tires.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-13-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
I just jack mine up and rotate the tire once a month...
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-14-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
I park mine on dirt but for winter I put boards down and backed the trailer on the boards...
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-14-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
why do you need to do this?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Old school of thought is so that the tires don't develop flat spots.

Anyone ever drive anything with flat spots in the tires? Takes about a block of driving on "square" tires before their round again. And if your running radials, it's a non issue.

A better question might be has anyone had their trailer tires filled with nitrogen so the air pressure doesn't change as it gets colder or warmer?
Old     (tnlakes)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-14-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
I'm not sure if I have radial tires or not. I have a 2006 ramlin trailer, does anyone know the tire type? I know it's an ignorant question, but clearly I'm not mechanically inclined at all. The reason I ask, is because I've never stored a boat on a trailer. I've always had my boat in a dry dock, where all the maintenance was done there.
Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-14-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Just look at the tire. if the size is, for example, 215/75R 16 its a radial. the letter after the 75 refers to the type of tire. R being radial and D being bias ply. There may also be other designations for a bias ply tire but a radial will always have the R.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-14-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
tnlakes,

I'd be very surprised if your 06 Ramlin had bias-ply tires, but check the code like Brian pointed out.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-14-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
saw a recommendation to put a little extra air in the other day.. i need to go do that as mine were a little low when i parked her..
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-14-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
Bill K. I have had nitrogen in my trailer tires for two years now. Great to not have to worry about one more thing, even though I do anyway.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
Probably a really good idea, Marco. Especially for guys who run big rims & low profile tires. Mine are only 18s & noticing if it's low on air is sometimes kind of tough to notice. I imagine it's worse on bigger rims.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-15-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
if your parking it on concrete you should be ok but parking it on dirt will shorten the life of the tire by quit a bit. the soil tends to suck the oils out of the tire and dry them out which is not a good thing.