Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-11-2018, 11:39 AM Reply   
The family and I are looking at Powell late August for a houseboat trip. Any suggestions on cool places to check out? Stay at? Ride? (I’m being realistic about the riding, I know it can get pretty bumpy out there.). We haven’t been in years and it is so massive, wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks for your input!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-12-2018, 4:57 PM Reply   
Where are you planning to launch out of?
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-15-2018, 3:28 PM Reply   
Wahweap most likely
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-16-2018, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Hooke102 View Post
Wahweap most likely
Tons of options in that area for pretty decent riding and camping, just depends how far you want to take the houseboat out. Gunsite Bay has some decent riding especially early in the moring. You will find crowds there at times since it's so close and decent shore for camping all over. Check the Cookie Jar area also, great camping but you're dealing with a bigger bay (Parde) for afternoon riding can get pretty bad. Crazy close would be Warm Creek and the riding can be epic but being so close traffic can get bad. Early riding anywhere will be the best just stay away from sheer cliffs since your rollers will come right back and turn into a soup bowl quickly. Your options are endless and just depends how much time you invest to find the right spot.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-20-2018, 3:09 PM Reply   
Where we go every year, we get plenty of clean water and very few boats. And because of that I will not tell you where we go but there are plenty of place still to go to get great water. obviously the water is better in the morning and in the evening no matter where you go.
Far end of Warm creek can get really nice.
West Canyon is nice with little traffic
Padre is a mess.

Last edited by three6ty; 02-20-2018 at 3:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-27-2018, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Where we go every year, we get plenty of clean water and very few boats. And because of that I will not tell you where we go but there are plenty of place still to go to get great water.
Bucket list trip is the San Juan with a houseboat for a week of non stop riding and fishing.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-03-2018, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post
Bucket list trip is the San Juan with a houseboat for a week of non stop riding and fishing.

How long does it take to get there. Is there fuel up that way. We are going next year and were told to go to San Juan arm.
Old     (ZHadley)      Join Date: Feb 2015       03-03-2018, 8:15 AM Reply   
We always go to the San Juan. Nothing beats it! Might see one other boat a day late August. Depends on the week but often very smooth. It takes a full day to get up there. If you leave by 6 am you can get all the way up and have time to find a good spot. If you get a late start we cruise up until evening and do an overnight anywhere handy then continue the next morning. I can’t remember exactly but seems like about 10 hrs. Gas is a problem. If you are renting a houseboat they don’t have large extra tanks and won’t let you put gas cans on the houseboat. It’s quite a ways from dangling rope.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-03-2018, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm525 View Post
How long does it take to get there. Is there fuel up that way. We are going next year and were told to go to San Juan arm.
If you can make that trip happen you wont be sorry. Gas, ice, communication is a huge issue since you are basically in the middle of nowhere. Dangling Rope Marina is on the way but it's your last chance for anything. I'm telling you this place is the holy grail of boating but it takes a special person to make the trip. I know a few that make their trips there and the pics they come back with are amazing. Back in the day I got a chance to ride there via wakeboat trip and it was nothing short of amazing for a day trip.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-04-2018, 9:41 AM Reply   
I was told it is the place to go. I have a friend who rented a houseboat and went there. I guess I am going to have to check into it. there will be probably 2-3 houseboats in my group. We should have 4-5 wakeboats. Would be awesome.