Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Took the cover off my boat to get it ready and i have these random brown spots. They look like rust stains but darker, only no metal came into contact. I tried softscrub soap and water and armor all but they will not come out, any help?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-03-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
Sounds like mildew stains I think you just need a better vinyl cleaner you should get more posts/opinions soon
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-03-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
I get the same thing on my boat from the buds on the trees. I can't ever get them out. The sun does eventually do the trick.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-03-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
mr clean magic eraser! Cleans everything
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-03-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
http://www.spraynine.com/

Greatest stuff ever for boat cleaning. Had a buddy in the Navy tell me about it. They have marine products but I pick up and use the regular household one on my boat seats. Get it the local auto parts store.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
This is the best website ever, thanks mike will try.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-03-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
I'd be sure to follow that up with a good conditioner so the vinyl doesn't get to dried out. The sun will do the trick too.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-03-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
Just make sure to use a good conditioner and protectant after that. Get some 303 to put on after you clean it and it will help prevent the stains from "soaking" in.

Another product is Starbrite vinyl gel. Works great for those hard to get stains with some elbow grease.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-03-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
guess hate beat my to it while i was posting.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-03-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
I got yellow pollen stains here and there, sucks, I tried everything to try to get them out, but no luck, I even took my cushion in to the boat show to the guy at the booth that said, “oh I can get every stain out”, well yeah right, he tried for 30 minutes couldn’t get my stain out and very quietly said sorry man... lol
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
might be spider poop! :-)

i had a couple spots when i bought my boat and they ended up looking better after a good cleaning, but didn't fully disappear until after a summer in the sun.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-03-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
I park my boat under tress when storing and got pollen stains....spray nine and a scrub brush took them right out.
Old    wiz            04-04-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
bruce... i agree. i battle the damn spiders every year. my neighbor told me to put mothballs in some pantyhose & hang it from the tower when i put it on the lift & that should keep them off. it'll look ghetto as hell, but may be worth it.
Old    wiz            04-04-2009, 5:27 AM Reply   
bruce... i agree. i battle the damn spiders every year. my neighbor told me to put mothballs in some pantyhose & hang it from the tower when i put it on the lift & that should keep them off. it'll look ghetto as hell, but may be worth it. i know that mothballs will keep snakes away, not sure about spiders.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-04-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
DON'T USE ARMOR ALL! That stuff kills the UV inhibitors in the vinyl.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-04-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
This may sound weird but wet them down and let them sit in the sun, I had pollen spots and was told to do this and it worked great.
Old     (comsew)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-25-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
They are likely Mold stains.
If they occur on some panels but not adjacent ones then it's very possible coming from the foam backing under the vinyls surface.

Staining issues sometimes lie within the vinyl characteristics.
Glues and foam backings cross contaminate the vinyl surface setting the conditions for staining to occur.
Additionally the staining can also be mold growth in the foam section that bleeds to the vinyl surface from the backside
Due to the expense many times the foam backing is not treated with antimicrobials.
Lack of a high quality top coat adds to the poor resistance of vinyl reacting to organic compounds that come in contact with it.
If it goes away when exposed to sunlight the condition is Dehydrochlorination.

Certain boat brands exhibit this staining problem while many others do not.
Higher quality vinyl’s resist any staining or discoloration.