Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-21-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
Are the 3-Somes a good chill and listen choice as well as ride and listen?? I have the Fusions T-series and the are great for sit and listen but suck for riding. I saw somewhere that the wetsounds were a touch harsh is that true.

Did I make the polar opposite choice?

I want great tower speaker that cost under 1500 bucks, sound great moving and sitting and don't corrode in one season....Is this mission impossible???
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
I had the fusion T series. They are very high quality sound for sure. I have had wetsounds on my last 2 boats. This year I am having a hard time making them sound good, but that is just a matter of time. Last year they sounded very good and loud. you are not going in a polar direction. Get a great amp and you will be happy.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-21-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
People comment all the time how good my wetsound Pro 485's sound at low and high volumes. Get an EQ and tone down the highs on the threesome if you think they are too bright.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-21-2008, 10:21 PM Reply   
another attempt at a photo.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn99/tomfish33/100_2512.jpg?t=1208841569
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
Aquaholic- Most "Pro Audio" type speakers are designed to do two things....Play Loud and Play Loud Behind the boat. They do this in two ways,

One- They use a HLCD (Horn Loaded Tweeter)that will project or focus it's sound far behind the boat so that the riders can hear it.
Two- They are usually "Tuned" to play the middle of the music best. They don't go really low or really high with much detail. This tends to make them sound a little harsh.

I would find a store that has some on display and listen to them for a while with several different types of music and also clarify to yourself what "casual" actually is. To some it's sitting at Ski Beach with the boat backed in and some techno playing, to others it is floating in a lagoon with the family just chillin with some easy tunes.

Another example is a buddy of mine who has his DJ gear set up in his house, it sounds great when it's cranked for the party but not so good when we are chillin playing pool. We listen to his Boston Towers when we just want to hear some great music.

Good Luck
Scott
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-21-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
om what a great looking boat
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-22-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
Aquaholic,

At shows like CES, I always do demos with different music as well as different levels. I throw in some Diana Krall at mid level just to show everyone how smooth and clean our speakers can play. They are so far from harsh. I think you get comments like that on pro audio type speakers because on a car audio speaker when pushed too hard, they clip and distort and most can hear that. When a horn loaded speaker is clipped, it is noticeable as well but most do not realize it and call it a harsh sound.

So you have complete control with the volume control.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Does Tom's picture seem kinda random to anyone else? "Look what I can do"

Beautiful boat Tom and nice picture.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-23-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
How many here on WW that have Wetsounds have the 2 485's instead of the 3-Some. Does one sound better than the other, and what makes one choose to go with the 2 485's??
Old    Ben Kerran            04-23-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
I have the two 485's set up (and couple of pro 60s to boot) Tim has a great point above about the volume control, it really let's you adjust (in a couple of seconds) the tower speakers so that the music sounds perfect for any type of music or volume. That being said, I don't really hear my tower speakers while in my boat (they mostly project over my head) unless I am standing on the back of the boat. So you are really going to be utilizing your interior speakers (mostly) for your in boat listening, or at least I do and tower speakers more for riding or swimming behind the boat etc.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
I have the 2 pro 485 setup and I am very happy. I wanted to have the best tower setup(in my opinion) for the rider in mind. Tim recommended the pair of 485's for this purpose. And to also be honest the wife liked the look of the dual pro 485's over the 3-some on our tower, and if the wife ain't happy...
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
I have the 2 pro 485 setup and I am very happy. I wanted to have the best tower setup(in my opinion) for the rider in mind. Tim recommended the pair of 485's for this purpose. And to also be honest the wife liked the look of the dual pro 485's over the 3-some on our tower, and if the wife ain't happy...
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-23-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Thanks to all for the input! I ordered my pair of white pro 485's today and a ws-420. All that remains now is to buy two JL 300/2 's amps and we're in boom boom business!!

Aqua
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-23-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
Aquaholic,
I also run two 485s with a ws420 and couldnt be happier. I run my ipod directly into the EQ(got rid of the CD player) You will have to tune the system but once it is dialed in it will turn heads.

I was partying a few weekends ago in a cove and was watching peoples heads turn from a couple hundred feet away when I cranked it up. I even played some Adam Sandler C*ck N Balls from his comedy CD and people were laughing their ass off a couple hundred feet away.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-23-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
Would a JL 450/4 amp be a reasonable choice to power 2 pro 485's"? Or is two JL 300/2 about the same power. Is 75 watts that critical for operation.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-24-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
You definitely do not want to underpower these speakers. I run 325 RMS to each of them and they scream.

Call wetsounds and ask for McGyver(real name is gyver) and he will get all your questions answered.
Old     (twdugas)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-24-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Fosgate 3Sixty.2 will take care of any clipping and wow what a processor... I have one in my truck and boat... Neither are large systems but play very crisp, clear, with lots of punch.

I've been told you can use crap amps with this unit and would not be able to know the difference... However I cannot confirm that...

check it out...
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?item_id=106187

(Message edited by twdugas on April 24, 2008)