Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
Are there any websites that specialize in rating audio equipment? I have read almost every stereo post in the last two years to decide which amps to get, and I still can't decide.
I am running:
-4 dB651's inside the boat
-1 10" sub (Wetsounds)(plan to add a bow sub in a box later, so I would like a decent 2 channel class d amp for this)
-2 Pro80's on the tower
-Alpine 9881 head unit

I have a Crossfire VR404 amp I might keep for the 4 polks. So I need a sub amp and a amp for the tower.
I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible, since the rest of the equipment already broke the bank. I don't need the best.

Any suggestions for amps or places to get quality info about amps?

Thanks for the help.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-09-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
Darin-
I am interested in what others will have to say about this topic as well. I am planning to get a set of Pro 80's in the near future and I have been researching amps as well. There are a lot to choose from, and I would like some advice as well. One of the guys on the Malibu forum is running Cadence amps for everything (I think the one for the Pro80s is a ZRS 1502; 150w RMS x2), and I have seen that amp online for $239.00. He seems to be very pleased with it. That price seems pretty reasonable to me.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
Depends on what you do, want, and can spend. I have RF, Polk, Soundstream, and Infinity and have been mostly happy but at the volume levels and in the environment we operate there will always be some failures. Alot of my stuff is over 4 years old. I also see posts randomly on here about peoples stuff getting stolen/damaged so for me to dump 5 grand in a system is not practical. Dont skimp on power IE; amps, wire, batteries, alternator. If its loud, after a while youll want it louder and this will leave the door open for bigger or at least give you the necessary overhead to operate for a while on the anchor.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2007, 10:19 PM Reply   
Amps are like boats when it comes to opinions...

That said, if you want to dump some money and have something others will ohhhh and ahhh about, get Zapco. A little less money go Arc, Alpine, etc.

I tend to lump RF, Polk, Sounsdtream, Infinity, HiFonics, Crossfire, Kicker, PPI (new school), Phoenix Gold, and many more into the same bucket. Pick the color and size you like and go find a good deal on it.

I run some slightly different high efficiency class D hybrid amps so I get more out of my batteries. They come with thier own special needs so I don't casually recommend them to the general public. Kind of like recommending somebody switch from a Toyota to a Ferrari, different animals.

A bridged Clarion APX480 will push the Pro-80s no problem, they are readily available and cheap.

My HiFonics BX1500D is on it's third season, has not shut off once since new. Sure you can cook eggs on it when it thumping but keeps pumping the subs.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-10-2007, 5:40 AM Reply   
I have the mmats 2100.1 amp n a coupel 12's and have been very impressed with it. I am still amazed at how cool it runs. I've had similar experiences like mikeski where the amps are scoldign hot to the touch...the majority still play but they get very hot. Not the mmats.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
I run a soundstream tarantula series (960.4 I think) to 4 wetsounds pro 80's. Gains only at 1/2 to 2/3s and they sound incredible.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
Also, the soundstream stays very cool.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-10-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
class d for subs works great... they have been around for years and are very reliable.. mmats make awesome class d amps but service is questionable if it is ever needed..would also look at jl audio slash series (class d) awesome sub amp...

for full range zapco, jl audio, arc xkk series,tru are all rock solid reliable and can get repaired if needed. the new alpine pdx series looks pretty cool but dont have any experience with them.

the whole thing behind car amps is they dont build them like they use to. hence that is why some older car amps have gone up in value.

btw, i have bought used new zapco's as well as used zapcos off friends and ebay for some really great deals and have never had a problem with one of them...just make sure the id sticker is intact..