Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-09-2005, 8:04 AM Reply   
I have a good idea of how people are going to respond to this post, but here is my question anyway. ....

My brother and I are thinking of selling our 1999 Moomba Outback which is in great shape, reason being is that with both of us looking to buy a house in the very near future, we need to downsize the cost of our boat. Now when I say downsize, I strictly mean retail value of one boat to the other. We are looking to pick up a 1985-1989 CC 2001 Nautique. I know most of you will say that is not "down sizing", but rather up sizing because of the sheer quality of the boat and size of the wake. Have any of you ridden behind this boat, does it actually throw a sick wake like everyone who owns one claims? Do you really have to sack the **** out of it to make it throw a good clean and respectable wake? Better yet, how do you rate this boat in wake size, rampiness....etc. Also, do you have any pictures of a wake behind one of these things.....this boat through the last 2 years has caught my attention and now that I am potentially looking for one, I need to do the research. Any and all help is always welcome.

Thanks all,
Dan
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2005, 8:13 AM Reply   
go to www.endofropegang.com and post this question.You will get alot of positive feedback as there are a few on the krew that ride behind them
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-09-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
The 2001's do throw out a good wake. A friend of mine has one and I swear we just about sink it, but the wake is very nice. For the money, it probably puts out the best wake. The only issues with it are size and storage. When you have all the fatsacs and gear in it, there is just no room to move around.

the 2001, a bad slalom boat in it's time that turned out to be a good wakeboard boat.

There are a couple of folks with them on www.wakeboardatlanta.com

Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-09-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
I really like the older Nautiques. I got to ride behind one for the first time this last weekend and was really impressed. The wake was good size, solid, and steep. The boat had 600lb in the rear, 300lb on each side of the motor cowling, and 200lb of lead in the nose. The only drawback I could see is after you sack the crap out of it, there is not much room for people and gear. All in all, I don't think you could go wrong with this boat.
Old     (jbenbri)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
I have a 88. Bought it needing work. I am very happy with the wake. Had a 98 moomba kanga, wake much better behind 2001. I have about 200 lbs of lead under back seat, 65 lbs of lead in front and sac about 350 lbs on either side of the motor. I do not have pics yet. Storage is almost none. But for the money, I am very happy. Looking to upgrade prop soon. Check out the2001.com for wake pic.
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-09-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
Sweet boats! My parents have an '85, brother had a '88, put about 6-700lbs on the sides - 200lb up front, the wake rocks it. I ride behind a SANTE right now, and the difference isn't all that much(w/ the same amount of weight). Not much space though, esp. once weighted down. BTW, how do you like the Outback? My uncle is considering picking one up.
Old    murrayair            06-09-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
I put a 600lb. sac in the rear of my '86 Nauti 2001 and one on each side of the engine, and the wake is absolutely great. I am having trouble getting weight in the bow, because of all the gear I store there, so the wake is kind of steep, but you get used to it. Like everyone else has said, not much room when it's sac'd out. Overall though, it's a really great boat.
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2005, 7:41 PM Reply   
It's too bad you don't live closer to California, for I am thinking of selling my restored 1989 Nautique 2001. I can only say that the boat is very well made, very reliable, very easy to maintain, throws a variety of wakes depending on how much weight and weight placement and with good organization skills, you can load the equipment and people into the boat and still have room to move.

Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2005, 5:17 AM Reply   
I can't complin about the Outback. It has ample hole shot pull and the open bow really helps. I have nothing but good things to say about the Moomba Outback, but depending on the year it was made, you could be buying a Skiers Choice boat, and they produce a great boat. We throw 1100lbs on either side of the dog house and it throws a decent wake. More rampy style wake than say a vert wake. We threw a Big Air H2O tower and some lights, speakers and love this thing. But paying it off along with a house would be hard. Hence the reason we are selling it, and I do like the 2001's a whole lot. Thanks for the replies everyone and feel free to post pics of the wake, or if anyone else has one or has ridden behind one, please feel free to add to this thread.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2005, 5:18 AM Reply   
Sorry 550lbs on either side, not 100lbs on either side. 1100lbs total.
Old     (cam892001)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-10-2005, 5:49 AM Reply   
I've had my 89 2001 for almost a year now. I am getting ready to break 1000 hrs and it seems to keep running better and better. now I have restored the boat to imaculate condition and i only use a flight pole, but even with just one or two other people in the boat, the wake is awesome. I want to put some sacs on the side of the engine box, but just haven't gotten around to do it. the 2001's also have a large fan base with a bunch of knowledge and great resale value. If you want to go to correctcraftfan.com or the 2001.com they have some good chats about the boats, but I'd say go for it, you won't regret it...
Old     (rynron1722)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-10-2005, 6:08 AM Reply   
I ride 2004 outback 1200# ballast 2 fat sacs and I like the wake. Rode a couple of weeks ago behind a 84 2001 the wakes are pretty different in the 2001 the first time I hit it almost turned me over it was so vert and solid, after I got used to it I liked the wake alot this was with no weight in the 2001. Only drawback I saw was the 2001 was the roughest riding boat I have ever been in. Now I wish I could afford a SAN but I will remain happy and satisfied with the Outback wake and having a paid off boat.
Old     (indemand12)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-10-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
I am 6 feet 3 inches and this is a pic of me behind my 88 nautique, and you can see it is close to knee high on me. This boat is for sale by the way if any one is interested
Old     (indemand12)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-10-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
Ronald said "Only drawback I saw was the 2001 was the roughest riding boat I have ever been in."
I don't know what was wrong witht he boat that you where in but I just leave a little weight in the noise of my boat and it rides better than any other smalller direct drive than I have ever been in, even in super ruff water.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-11-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
I doubt Correct Craft knew that boat would become a timeless wakeboard boat when they gave it the futuristic "2001" moniker back then! Do these have the rope for rubrails?
Old     (dustin_c_wilson)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
I have ridden behind this boat and the wake is super poppy. There is little transition but alot of pop!!!!!
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-13-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
Thanks all for the input, now if we could only do two things. Find a 2001 that is somewhat close to us AND in good shape, and also sell our 99 Moomba Outback. I do appreciate all the input as we are probably going to start to look in the not so distant future.