Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-28-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
I had to change a flat tire last weekend on the side of the road, and I did not have a lug wrench to do the job. (My Honda Pilot’s lug wrench did not fit, and I did not even try the puny screw jack).

Boy I am glad for a double-axle trailer (and an inflated spare). My tire went from obviously flat to shred confetti in 5 miles.

What kind of options are there for a trailer jack? Something other than a hydraulic floor jack? A good Samaritan – who had me on the road again in 20 min. – had a 3 ton floor jack.

He kept saying, “Wow this trailer is heavy!” That makes me think I need a pretty robust jack.
Old     (yellj)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-28-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Get a 20 ton bottle jack from Northern Tools, also keep a board or two. short piece of 2x10 works just in case the ground is soft or you need additional height. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4833_200304833
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-28-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
A few guys I know carry a few 2ft long 2X6s. If they have a flat tire, they roll the good tire on the 2x6s (just lay them down side by side) and it raises the flat tire up high enough to change the tire out.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
Start the banjo music.

I mean serious. A good 2 ton floor jack is $40 bucks. Sure you can find a dead dog on the side of the road thats gone hard to use as a piece of wood for free. You can get a good jack that come ina plastic Cary case for &40 that will work on pretty much everything. That way when a buddy calls u and needs a hand or god forbid ur truck gets a flat you don't have to use the factory jack
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-28-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
I've seen these half moon/cresent style jacks. You just put it under the axle and pull forward a couple inches and it raises the trailer. Anyone had any experience with them? What I like about them is it looks like you could store them under the seat of yer truck. You might need someone to help tell you when the jack is at the top of its arch though???? Anyone????????
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-28-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Jonathan, since you have a dual-axle trailer, this might be something worth looking at:

http://www.traileraid.com/
Old    SamIngram            08-29-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Why not just a bottle jack? They are much easier to store than a floor jack and work well.
Old     (yellj)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-29-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
x2 who carries has the room to carry around a floor jack
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-29-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
What are u guys towing with? Don't most of u have a lifted 4x4 with 22, lol u can't some how find room for a small floor jack. The one I'm talking about is not big one like a shops floor jack. It's a small version of a large floor jack. But serious if not having room is ur excuse for not getting a small floor jack then u must tow with a mini or somthing smaller. I'm sure u can bring 6x6 logs or a bottle jack that lifts 20 tons or some ramps that look like they work great on smooth flat ground but not every where u need to or can change a tire is smooth flat or even often u need to work on the
in even ground or the side of the road where ur traileris off to the side. That's where a floor jack is gonna be worth it's weight . Plus if you need to change a tire in your truck or car a small floor jack works great. So you asked for jack advice? A small floor jack is the answer. Nuff Said!
Old     (yellj)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-29-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
You make some points, but some are not quite valid, if you are changing a tire on uneven ground, you are going to have same issues with a floor jack, if you are on a soft shoulder positioning a floor jack is going to be problematic, have done enough Jeeping and changed tires in far harsher environments than anyone is going to be changing a trailer tire and good bottle jack and piece of wood so it doesn't sink is all yo need, you don't need 6x6, I can change a 35" tire with relatively small bottle jack. Yes there are times where a floor jack would be helpful but not on the side of a rode on the traffic side, to each his own
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-29-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
I'm no help. I have not changed a tire on a lifted truck since high school...about the only stage in life when a lifted truck was cool.

Bottle jack and and 1' x 1' 1/4" piece of steel plate works for me.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-29-2010, 7:23 PM Reply   
SMALL FLOOR JACK!! My last trip to Powell I took mine off the motorhome and threw it behind the backseat for "incase". Well on my way back I passed a truck pulling a boat that blown both trailer tires on the passernger side. I told the wife I felt like I needed to help out (Big Believer in Karma) and circled back. She was off on the shoulder and burried in the sand and they were having a dickens of a time trying to jack the trailer up. I pulled out a small piece of 2x4 and that helped with keeping it sink more in the sand and we were able to change out the blown ones and put on the spares. It was so much easier than using my bottle jack that I had to use on my last Blowout (Another comical Story in its own). I'll be picking up another mini floor jack so I wont have to keep switching between the rides. Simple and fast and can get into them tight spots.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-30-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Ok, now I’m leaning to a floor jack (but like others, I’m not real excited to haul such a bulky thing around).

How ‘small’ can I get away with? 2-1/4 ton? I mean, I never gave a thought to both tires going out on a side. Do I need something with capacity in excess of over half the boat and trailer weight?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-30-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Watch out on your bottle jacks. I found the one in my SUV was too tall to get under the axle and too short to lift from another spot.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-30-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
I have a tall "SUV" floor jack that I haul around with me but it wasn't tall enough to just put under a frame rail on the trailer and lift high enough to put a wheel and tire on. The suspension sagged too much. At the same time it was too tall in its fully down position to get under the axle with a flat tire on it. So, I had to jack up the other axle (With the good tires on it) high enough to account for the suspension sag in the rear before I could get the tire off. I got it done but it wasn't as ideal as I thought it would be.

The floor jack will get the job done faster than the bottle jack but you sacrifice portability. If I get another flat I will go straight for the good axle with my jack and get it done faster than last time.

I'd check whether the lug size on your tow vehicle is the same. If not pack an appropriate tire iron or a breaker bar with the right socket on it.
Old    SamIngram            08-30-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
I never knew this was a big problem... If you have decided that you MUST carry around that stupid floor jack with everywhere you go this is how you should use it on your tandem axle trailer:

If it were me and I decided that I needed to carry a floor jack everywhere that I went I would mount the thing to the trailer in the front behind the tongue under the bow tie down with one of these or a similar homemade system:

You can buy this mount from Craig Stewart's Raceworks (Ivan's son) here!

I would get a Craftsman 4000 lb. Capacity Aluminum Jack (Sears PN 50239) because it won't rust and we have abused the crap out of them on the baja and they hold up!

Speedy-lift™ design: only 2 pumps bring the saddle to the chassis and then engages like a normal jack. Aluminum lightweight construction means jack weighs less than 44 lbs. Lifts from 3-3/4 in. to 18-1/2 in.

Last edited by SamIngram; 08-30-2010 at 9:32 AM.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-30-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Yeah but you can't put the jack on the equalizer like in that pic if one tire is flat. It will be cocked way over to the side with the good tire.
Old    SamIngram            08-30-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
It will straighten out when you start to lift if it is centered... I have done this countless times...
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-30-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
It will straighten out when you start to lift if it is centered... I have done this countless times...
I'll have to try it again in the driveway. That's how I normally jack mine up but when I had the flat with 75 MPH cars going past me I can't remember if I actually tried it on the equalizer or if I just looked at it cocked over to one side and thought there was no way that would work.
Old    Haugy            08-31-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
My god people, it's not rocket science.

1) Get a small jack like this one to keep in your vehicle. Not only does it work on anything, but it's fast and easy. You don't need to be on the side of the road any longer than necessary. I can change a tire in 5 minutes with this.

2) It's small and cheap. Those complaining about space are probably the ones I have to save on the side of the road because they aren't prepared. Or the same guys who want to raft up to my boat, but don't have fenders or ropes. BE PREPARED. And no, you don't need that giant mama-jama that was posted earlier. Just be smart about your lifting placement. You know you can lift just one tire by lifting the individual axle.

3) It will easily lift a Supra 24SSV trailer with no problems. I know, I've done it with mine.

Go to an automotive store, get a little jack like this, and a 4 way lug wrench. No problems ever again. Either that or make sure you've got a socket set for your trailer size lugs.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-31-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
I have the "crescent shape" 1/2 moon looking piece that pivots under the axle to lift the trailer. It works just fine. It weighs about 2 lbs, stores easily in the boat, and it's aluminum so it won't rust. It's also pretty cheap.
Old    SamIngram            08-31-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
2) It's small and cheap. Those complaining about space are probably the ones I have to save on the side of the road because they aren't prepared. Or the same guys who want to raft up to my boat, but don't have fenders or ropes. BE PREPARED. And no, you don't need that giant mama-jama that was posted earlier. Just be smart about your lifting placement. You know you can lift just one tire by lifting the individual axle.
Well you can only be talking about me, since I am the only one to post a picture of jack.

If you actually read my post you would know that the picture of the big jack was simply to show how to use the jack. The other jack that I posted was aluminium because I suggested instead of putting the jack inside the truck, you mount it to the trailer either using the mount shown or making your own.

How much does that jack of yours weigh? When you get in to an accident and it flies out of the back of your SUV and whacks one of your passengers in the back of the head I'll stop and perform triage and first aid.

Why would I need a 4-way lug wrench? All of my lug nuts are the same size! A socket set? Really for changing tire? Ya, that always works... Get the proper sized tire iron/lug wrench!

But the #1 piece of Jack Advice I can give anyone is to check their trailer tires and make sure they are in good shape! You chances of actually needing the stupid jack are greatly reduced!

If your tires are cracked like they do here in AZ replace them!

Here AZ the sun bakes the tires and makes the rubber brittle.

BTW, you will never find me on the side of the highway! If I have a flat I just slow down and keep driving to an exit or till I find a overpass that I can park behind. That is why I have a tandem axle trailer. Any damage that I do is a good exchange for my safety.

BTW, in my tow vehicle I carry a BOTTLE JACK, a scissor jack, two Hi-Lift jacks, a welder, and an air compressor but it's a former baja chase truck...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Those complaining about space are probably the ones I have to save on the side of the road because they aren't prepared. Or the same guys who want to raft up to my boat, but don't have fenders or ropes.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
EXACTLEY, And Ill add anchor to the list of the things they don't have LOL.

I mean there is always a diffrent way to get the job done and Im sure there is a 1 in ten situation where a bottle jack would work better than a floor jack but IMO The jack Sam posted is Perfict. I have one just like it. It cost $40" Big Deal". It's is small and comes in a plastic carry case, So the whole it takes up to much room argument is a Joke.

BTW I have a spare change kit. This is what it has Extra lug nuts, Breaker bar, Jack, Towel, Hand cleaner, Gloves,
Some people keep a moving blanket or a set of cover all's these are great items. If you even have to change your boat trailer tire there is a good chance you in your lake clothes Board shorts and flip flop's and even if your boat or trail is super clean your gonna get dirty changing your spair. It sucks getting back in your car or truck in dirty clothes that you have been laying on the ground with . A blanket or cover all's and a set of gloves will go a long way if the time ever comes.

I understand it's over kill if your just pullling down to the ramp and back to your house. But trust me you will appreciate being prepaired if the times comes.
Makes a Job that can suck a hr out of your day into a 10 min job
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-31-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Hey had the same problem you did but with single axel trailer. Fun leaving the boat driving to walmart getting a lug wrench back to jack the trailer up take the tire off. Then coming back and having to find a piece of wood so I could jack it up high enough to put the new tire on. Took over an hour thank goodness Walmart was just up the interstate.
Old    Haugy            08-31-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Well you can only be talking about me, since I am the only one to post a picture of jack.

Yep, you obviously took it personally. It was not meant to be. But that's fine.

How much does that jack of yours weigh? When you get in to an accident and it flies out of the back of your SUV and whacks one of your passengers in the back of the head I'll stop and perform triage and first aid.

Truck tool box, right next to the EMS bag, I'll be fine, thanks though. Oh, and it's so handy that it comes in a nice box that can be strapped down with the coolest thing ever. They're called straps.

Why would I need a 4-way lug wrench? All of my lug nuts are the same size! A socket set? Really for changing tire? Ya, that always works... Get the proper sized tire iron/lug wrench!

Well see, down here in the South, we have this thing called being a good samaritan. So when I see someone broke down I stop to help them. Having a 4-way makes it so I can change almost any tire on the road. And fast. And not to mention, seeing down farther you talk about being a chase truck. Well I guess you've never had to crank on a stuck lug nut before. Because I have, and those dinky wrenches you get from the factory won't cut it. So having the leverage to crank on a 4-way allows you to break a lug nut loose. If you' re married you'll understand why that's important.

BTW, you will never find me on the side of the highway! If I have a flat I just slow down and keep driving to an exit or till I find a overpass that I can park behind. That is why I have a tandem axle trailer. Any damage that I do is a good exchange for my safety.

Awesome, you destroy your stuff, send tire shreds all over the highway that might make someone swerve and cause more damage. Great job Capt. Awesome

BTW, in my tow vehicle I carry a BOTTLE JACK, a scissor jack, two Hi-Lift jacks, a welder, and an air compressor but it's a former baja chase truck...

Yet you mock me for keeping tools in mine? That has to be the most back-ass-ward comment I've seen. So you only keep tools handy when you think it will suit you? Because in my experience, it's always when you don't expect to need them, that you do the most. Good luck with that.

Sheesh
Old    SamIngram            08-31-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Haugy...

Quote:
Well see, down here in the South, we have this thing called being a good samaritan. So when I see someone broke down I stop to help them. Having a 4-way makes it so I can change almost any tire on the road. And fast. And not to mention, seeing down farther you talk about being a chase truck. Well I guess you've never had to crank on a stuck lug nut before. Because I have, and those dinky wrenches you get from the factory won't cut it. So having the leverage to crank on a 4-way allows you to break a lug nut loose. If you' re married you'll understand why that's important.
It's a called a breaker bar... and is the handle of the jack...

Quote:
Awesome, you destroy your stuff, send tire shreds all over the highway that might make someone swerve and cause more damage. Great job Capt. Awesome
Yup, but I didn't get hit on the highway either! EVERY safety service from the Sheriffs office, DPS, NTSB, etc... says to get off the highway! You would know that if anyone taught you how to use that EMS bag...

Quote:
Yet you mock me for keeping tools in mine? That has to be the most back-ass-ward comment I've seen. So you only keep tools handy when you think it will suit you? Because in my experience, it's always when you don't expect to need them, that you do the most. Good luck with that.
The original poster was asking for advice, not what I carry or what you carry. This section of my post was in response to the previous posts.

Most people will not carry something that is in the way all the time. They will take it out and put a cooler in its place or something. They will leave the floor jack at home, even more so if it is their daily driver. I have a dedicated truck so I carry a lot of crap.

BTW, you are such a freaking STUD! You have your truck with the EMS bag and this awesome tool box and lady at home! I've envious and want to raft up next to you!

What a tool!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
When I re-read my post I ment to say the small Jack that Haugy Posted. Not the large one Sam posted. But even that one would work fine. The handle comes off and if you could strap it down it would work fine.
Another Question:
I was in the market for a floor jack, "JUST FOR CHANGING A TIRE' the reason I say that is because when you change a tire you ususally only have the trailer or truck in the air for a few min's. I wanted a light weight aluminum jack. Most of the ones out there are for 1500 to 1700 Lb. These work well for small cars'. I was thinking they would work fine for a boat. Example my boat weighs 2600 lbs + a trailer. so lets say 3600 Lbs. Now if the jack can lift 1/2 of that weight wouldnt that work fine for a tire change???? If you had to?? When your changing a tire your not lifting the entire weight of boat and trailer. I ended up getting the 2 ton jack but was just wondering if you could get away with a 1/2 ton jack

Last edited by grant_west; 08-31-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-31-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
This is a very good thread. I just realized how ill equipped I am. Even though I travel a short distance, I need to get some more safety gear.

1. Floor jack.
2. Wood.
3. Trailer Aid - Really like this idea.

It would be nice to have sticky threads like this.

Mario-
Old    Haugy            08-31-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Haugy...
It's a called a breaker bar... and is the handle of the jack...
And that's only if you are toting that big full size jack. Kinda reverts back to having to carry around something that tedious.

Quote:
Yup, but I didn't get hit on the highway either! EVERY safety service from the Sheriffs office, DPS, NTSB, etc... says to get off the highway! You would know that if anyone taught you how to use that EMS bag...
You're absolutely right. "OFF THE HIGHWAY". Which if you pay attention means get far enough off the side to not present a threat. It does not mean keep ghost-riding it until you find an exit.

Quote:
The original poster was asking for advice, not what I carry or what you carry. This section of my post was in response to the previous posts.

Most people will not carry something that is in the way all the time. They will take it out and put a cooler in its place or something. They will leave the floor jack at home, even more so if it is their daily driver. I have a dedicated truck so I carry a lot of crap.

BTW, you are such a freaking STUD! You have your truck with the EMS bag and this awesome tool box and lady at home! I've envious and want to raft up next to you!
You have a truck with a toolbox, A truck tool box. I bet there are at least 75% of people in here that have trucks. And I bet at least 1/2 have a locking truck toolbox. If I'm such a tool, what does that make you with all the extra gear you have? And yes I have an EMS bag, comes with the job, moron. And what does some random internet slut picture in my profile have to do with my wife?
Face it, your arguments are not only over-reactive, but silly. Relax, drink a beer, and get over it.

Quote:
What a tool!

Last edited by Haugy; 08-31-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old    Haugy            08-31-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I ended up getting the 2 ton jack but was just wondering if you could get away with a 1/2 ton jack
No. You might, but my 2 ton had a nice time lifting a 24SSV. Considering the size difference to go from 1/2 ton to 2 ton is minimal, I'd go ahead and step up to the 2 ton.

If you are wanting to just use it for a daily driver/ small car. Absolutely. But for trailers or trucks, I wouldn't.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
They have the light weight 1/2 ton Aluminum floor jack's they weigh like 22 lb's for $99. I was just wondering if you could use somthing like that to change a tire. But I guess Im answering my own question with a big NO you shouldn't. I think the Aluminum light weight jacks are cool cause they are light and pretty small. to bad they cant lift 2 tons or it would be a no brainer
Old    SamIngram            08-31-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
They have the light weight 1/2 ton Aluminum floor jack's they weigh like 22 lb's for $99. I was just wondering if you could use somthing like that to change a tire. But I guess Im answering my own question with a big NO you shouldn't. I think the Aluminum light weight jacks are cool cause they are light and pretty small. to bad they cant lift 2 tons or it would be a no brainer
I like the aluminium jacks because they don't rust!
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-01-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
AAA is $50 a year. They do the work - I sit and relax
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-01-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerTom View Post
AAA is $50 a year. They do the work - I sit and relax
Yeah but who who wants to sit around for 30-45+ minutes for the help to arrive when you could be back on the road in 5-10 mins if you had the right tools and a spare?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-01-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
Another thing for tandem axle trailer owners to carry would be some heavy duty ratchet straps. If you get a 2nd flat or two flats at the same time and only one spare you can jack up the flat tire, remove the wheel, and strap that side of the axle up to a frame rail to keep the suspension from sagging. Then you can proceed slowly on 1 tire to a place to get a new tire or just a more optimal place to leave the boat while you find another tire.

You could just keep pulling it but the tire may shred and cause other damage and if you have a fancy wheel it will likely get chewed up by the road.
Old    SamIngram            09-01-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Another thing for tandem axle trailer owners to carry would be some heavy duty ratchet straps. If you get a 2nd flat or two flats at the same time and only one spare you can jack up the flat tire, remove the wheel, and strap that side of the axle up to a frame rail to keep the suspension from sagging. Then you can proceed slowly on 1 tire to a place to get a new tire or just a more optimal place to leave the boat while you find another tire.

You could just keep pulling it but the tire may shred and cause other damage and if you have a fancy wheel it will likely get chewed up by the road.
Be careful when doing this with a torsion axle setup. Many of the trailers rely on weight distribution over both torsion axles to carry the load and can not handle all the weight on one axle.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
HIJACK

Grant, did you get my PM? Looking for Clays contact info.