Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
finally finished her up. its going to be tested and hopefully used at convergence over the weekend. mitch has the honors to be the first to use it. i want someone who knows what they are doing to use it first for good luck *laughs*

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (killercam)      Join Date: May 2009       05-13-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
Sickkk man. Looks clean and simple. Im getting ready to build one in the next couple of weeks. One question.. On the rope spool are you going to have trouble with the rope getting tangled because you dont have larger diameter ends on it? Guess that question will be answered this weekend. Good luck hope it goes well!
Old     (rs1071)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-13-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
Looks good but FYI you might want a shield around the rope spool to control the water coming off the rope. Otherwise you and the motor get soaked!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
no the rope wont get tangled. when pulled all the way to the side through the fairlead its no where near the edges. i just spooled it cleanly for a good picture. other wise most of it ends up in the middle.

and i have someone that is going to make me a shield. but for the time being im not going to use one.
Old     (killercam)      Join Date: May 2009       05-13-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Right on. I might be hitting you up for some pointers.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-14-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
alright. any questions and ill try and help you out
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-14-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
what size engine is on there? if it's any smaller than like 8hp there is a good chance you'll burn out the clutch pretty quickly, tav work great just pricy

good luck with the maiden pull
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-14-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Why doesn't anyone put chain guards on their DIY winches? It just looks a little unsafe.

Is it because it's more difficult to make?

H2O Pro Accessories
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       05-14-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
No WakeWorld stickers? Oh man, that's a BIG foul!

Did you build the frame? If so, nice work!

Good luck!
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-14-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
lookin good man!! let us know how she pulls!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-14-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
its an 8 hp. when the clutch burns out im going to buy a tav. ive just already got $1200 into it out of my savings, and im 17. so i was trying to save money. and no chain guard because i have no real reason to have one. im not going to sue myself if i get hurt. haha.

and i have 2 dozen got wake stickers. just havnt put them on yet.
austin from liquid playground is bringing me some LP stickers on saturday at convergence for it.

and the frame was built by my dad. he cut and welded it. i built the spool but the rest was all him. and im just hoping i have the sprocket right! id hate to not even be able to get up with. that would be depressing

(Message edited by lfrider92 on May 14, 2009)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-15-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
what sprocket size do you guys use?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
I'm running 8/60 on my 8 horse with an 8.5" i/d spool and 10/60 on my 12 horse with a 6.5" i/d spool both deep water and pull awesome
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-15-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
Keeping your fingers isn't a reason to have a chain guard? Or even if one of your friends got their fingers in it. That would suck.

Everything looks good though. You dad did a good job on the frame.

H2O Pro Accessories
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
I wasn't going to use a chain guard on my main winch (The 1st one I built) and then my Dad decided to take it upon himself to make one and put it on for me lol I'm glad he did though I would hate for my girl or one of my friends to get a finger in there

I'm too lazy to re-size the pic but it's in my ws.com profile -----> http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10018
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-15-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
im running a 12t on the tav and a 54t on the spool with an i/d of 7" and its a 13hp.... only time i tryed to deep start the rider was on a very small wakeskate and he was 220lbs so it did not deep start anyone yet..... but im sure it will just not that big!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-15-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
ive got a 12 tooth onthe clutch and 55 on the spool. 6 inch spool. will it deep water start?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-16-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
didnt work to well. one of the guys at convergence was able to deep water start on a wakeskate. but the clutch springs didnt engage until around half throttle. so it would just jerk out of everyones hands. my dad had the brilliant idea to make a new frame. he wants to do it so what ever. im prolly going to sell the frame we already have built. what do you think i could get for the frame?
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-16-2009, 10:35 PM Reply   
dude just get a tav and be done with it! why build a new frame the one you have is dope!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-17-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
its heavy. like really heavy. the frame it self weighs 80 lbs. plus the spool and the motor the thing weighs a good 140 150 lbs. we are going to try and see if we can put softer springs in the clutch and if we cant, we are going to throw a tav on it
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-17-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
david, i got up on it once. when i was up it ulled fine its just it would jerk you really hard then stop pulling then jerk you again and pull you up.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-17-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
hey carson,
i know you did. and i give you props for it. i truly apologize i kept ripping it out of your hand. my dad opened up the throttle assembly this morning and he loosened the slide up. its supper smooth and you can get it to go slow now. he says it was most likely my fault for jerking it. which i might be. which is why im sorry. i pulled a good 200 feet of line down my street and got on my skate board and he was able to pull me slowly and then pick up speed. we are going to try it in our pool today to see if that helps. i think im going to be able to deep water start with it now that the throttle isnt so jerky. ill let you know how it works.
thanks for trying it though. next time it should be working
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-17-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
its all good david. i was glad to help in the process of your build
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-17-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Hey Carson, I am David's dad Don. Thanks for being the guinea pig for David. We used it in the pool today at home. If David had another 5 feet he would of been up and skating. David pulled me. I was on my daughter's 118 Star. I wasn't strapped using it like a skate. I sat on the side of the pool, he pulled me and I got up. We are almost there with the adjustments. Thanks again. Hay we might be going to Berryessa next weekend are you up for it if we go.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-17-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
that thing looks sweet, very well done dude
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
ya carson. i was up and twisting the board forward when i ran out of room. the throttle is perfect now. you can tell the motor is working hard while getting someone up though. i think we are going to get a torque converter. its going to chew threw clutches if we dont.

anyone know how long a tav lasts?