Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-06-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
Went to the Dallas international boat show today and spent about 3 hours roaming around. Nice to see a show; first one for me in many years as the Bay Area (CA) hasn't had a good show for some time.

Overall impressions in no particular order.

-Hundreds of boats; 10% jet ski, 5% big cruisers, 20% wake, the balance split between fishing and runabouts.
-Mastercraft and Tige had the biggest wake presence followed by Malibu.
-Some dealers, like Supra, were showing 2010 models...I find this odd.
-Centurions efforts (local dealer I know) sucked. I currently own a Centurion so was hoping for more.

Notes.

-Wakeboats are still very expensive new; 65-100k new (even for some 2010). Now, I didn't negotiate at all and I am sure you could work down that number but regardless, they are a big ticket item new.
-I was most impressed by the Tige and Supreme boats. Tige had 7 boats if I recall, the wife really liked the RZ2, the lines are nice, simple and clean. The Supreme seemed to have a good bang for the buck. The 226 all up with almost every option on the boat and trailer (rims, etc) was $62k. It was roomy and simple...I hope the rep will follow through and take me surfing on it
-Centurion had 2 boats in the far end of an auxiliary tent where there is not much foot trafic. Not displays (see pics), just a flag, 2 boats and a table. No steps to get in them, just hang off the trailer. Disappointing sure but the Enzo still looks nice and mammoth. It is so big inside - which I like.
-I liked the Supra cargo bimini too...great idea; not new I know but I want it.
-The Epic boat was RipCurl edition and decked out too. A good price at $55k but not a surf boat.

Pics....

T
Attached Images

Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-06-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
I spent some time in the Supra/Moomba booth at the Dallas boatshow yesterday.
The '11 Supra 242 Launch is an all new boat from top to bottom. Incredible boat with an expansive cockpit.
A Moomba Outback V started at $39K.
Moomba LSV was $44K.
Moomba XLV was $49K.
Seems like alot of value to me for a quality boat.

Btw, we 've got an exhibit right across from the Nautique dealer.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-06-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
Dave - was this the 242 Launch? Or was it the red one?

I saw Shane at your booth...I think you have a good location for lots of foot traffic.

T
Attached Images

Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-06-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
Trevor,
Nope, that's a '10 24 model that was at the back of the booth. The '11 242 is in the front along the isle. Its 'Platium' (light gray) and 'Black' if I remember correctly. Its got a slightly different exterior profile but when you step into the huge cockpit you'll immediately know that this is an all-new boat.

On another note, I have viewed photos of the new MasterCraft tower but until you see that piece of designmanship in person you can't grasp how impressive it is.

After one afternoon at the show I feel its going to be a good one, especially next weekend.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-06-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
Oh Okay - I recall that one, thanks. I didn't get any pictures of that but do recall the gray/black.

You are right about next weekend, should be a good one in light of the weather leading up to and superbowl this weekend.

T
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-06-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
David,

Have you seen the vids of people shaking the power tower? I haven't messed with one personally, but I was wondering how sturdy they were in terms of lateral movement.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-07-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
I was a little dissapointed with the display of boards at the show. I was hoping see some of the new Slingshot boards but no one had any of them or much of the other new boards aside from the Ronix line. I did get a chance to look at the Hyperlite Binding System and talk with JD Webb for a bit about it. Seems like a cool concept and only time will tell how well it actually works. Anyone else think the Axis 22 is looking pretty incredible?
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-07-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kme3113 View Post
Anyone else think the Axis 22 is looking pretty incredible?
I do. LOL.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-07-2011, 7:16 AM Reply   
I am pretty surprised they were able to get all the boat in and get them all cleaned up in time for the show. We have 6" of snow and 2 inches of ice from Tuesday till it melted on Saturday.

I am headed out there next weekend.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-07-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Ed I would say your Axis looks more than incredible with that graphic on it. Anychance we are going to see a 2011 with a new graphic on it from you?
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-07-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kme3113 View Post
Ed I would say your Axis looks more than incredible with that graphic on it. Anychance we are going to see a 2011 with a new graphic on it from you?
I appreciate the nice compliment Keith. I am very happy with this boat and won't look at getting something else until at least 2012.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
I hope they continue to grow, its nice to see someone actually selling a fair amount of boats that is not part of the major 4 brands. Not sure how many boats Epic is selling so I am hoping Axis keeps building a larger share in the market. Nice to see a company create a boat so nice in such a good price point vs the 75k+ you have to be ready to drop on another brand. I would say they new LSV they had out there looks pretty nice with the white tower but its not even close to the same price.
Old    mojo            02-08-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
kind of funny statement since axis' parent company is malibu.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-09-2011, 5:48 AM Reply   
Were these guys there? I found them listed for the Miami Boat Show next week. (very poor tow boat show, only Nautique and MC attend)

http://www.turboswing.com/en/product...oswing+%C2%AE/
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-09-2011, 6:24 AM Reply   
It's been my experience over the years that while most dealers do display new model year products they also use the winter boat show as an opportunity to move last year's goods at blow out prices. Last year I picked up some LF board shorts for $11! Back in 2005 I bought my brand new 2004 left over Supra 22SSV for $36k. It's crazy how expensive tow boats have gotten since then. Even still, there should be some deals to be had out there on last years stuff.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-12-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
Trevor's comment about the Epic Rip Curl 21V not being a wakesurf boat could not be further from the truth. Did you see the duel rudders, automatic ballast controls, 3 wake plates, the surfboard racks, the 8.1 L engine, and Fresh Air Exhaust? This boat is dialed in.

Im working on the press release now but that boat will be pulling the Wakesurf World Championship this summer in Oklahoma City at the end of June. Here are some better pics of the boat. This event will be sanctioned by USA Wakeboard. More to follow in a few days
Attached Images

Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-14-2011, 5:58 AM Reply   
@Chris - all fair points. I certainly could have word smithed my post to say it is set up to surf but I've never seen the surf wake nor heard of anyone producing a decent wave with one.

That said, I went to the show for a second night and talked with Gary (owner) and he could not have been nicer. We talked surfing, boards, set ups etc and he said anytime we are down his way to give him a call and we'll surf this boat. I look forward to checking it out first hand.

T
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-14-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorg7 View Post

That said, I went to the show for a second night and talked with Gary (owner) and he could not have been nicer. We talked surfing, boards, set ups etc and he said anytime we are down his way to give him a call and we'll surf this boat. I look forward to checking it out first hand.

T
X2 on Gary, great guy to talk with. I am curious to see how the boat surfs because I have heard the same comments Trevor has (short and steep wave). However, I really hope it does have a nice wave because it seemed well set up for the money. It was a little short for me at 21' but the 23' could work.