Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-16-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
Does anyone ride behind one of the older barefoot nautiques?? I heard they through a nice wake because they have a really deep "V" on them. The reason im asking is because a good deal just came along on one and were thinking about buying it. Its an 89' barefoot nautique with a tower and its in realy nice condition... I just wann know what the wake is like.
Thanks,
Chris
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
I was told same hull as the 2001's but heavier do to the bigger motor. my 86 throws a steep hard wake. And bigger motor should pull more wieght easier. I would think
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2004, 3:57 PM Reply   
Our "old" boat is a '88 Barefoot with 454. It still runs and handles better then our newer '97 SuperSport with brand new engine...
The wake is empty pretty big (not as big as the SuperSport/Air) but steep.. We put 1 fatswack in the back and 1 in the nose...

We never gonna sell the Barefoot though, really like the old school look. Recently added a tower on it and that's really what the boat needed (no more boards in the boat)!!!

Have fun!!
Barefoot '88
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
Yeah, I've ridden behind two of these in my years, and it is the boat that I learned my first invert behind. The big 454 does add a lot of weight. As Jeff noted, the wake is hard and steep (lots of "vert"), it will really buck you! The one I spent the most time behind was weighted with a full sack on each side of the motor box, and we used to joke that the wake was like hitting a brick wall. It was a good ride. I totally would buy one if it was in good condition. You'll want to run a compression check on a motor that old before you lay down any money. Compression check is a relatively simple test to give you an overall measure of how good is the internal condition of the motor. All cylinders should be roughly equal, and the higher compression, the better. Not a lot of storage space in this boat, but that is not a huge problem for most people.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-16-2004, 7:12 PM Reply   
Tommy do you have any pictures of you hitting the wake or of the wake itself.
--AND-- Is it better to have a steep wake or a mellow wake.. I ride a motive 134 and I dont know which would be better.
Thanks for all the posts guys!
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2004, 11:59 PM Reply   
Chris,

Now that we have bought a SuperSport I like a mellow wake more (even a SSN or SAN has a steep wake), because of my weak knees. But you'll learn you techniques better on a steep wake, because everything is more time critical (that's what I think, but I can be wrong). But I have to say that I'm a little spoiled with the 2 boats. We are still riding the Barefoot and it's really good. If the price is right, you won't be disappointed with the boat.
I honestly have to say that I really like wakeboarding with the Barefoot more then some other brands (not gonna bashing which ones) 100% wakeboard boats from year 2000+ . And that's not because we've own a Barefoot (I think ) ... The main disadvantage is the lack of room in the boat, you can put 10-12 people in the boat. But where to leave the gear?!?
Do what dococ said and check the engine with a compression test. Rebuilding the engine is not a huge and expensive process, but it will take some precious wakeboarding time. And check the transmission and woodroth below the carpets...

I don't have any better pics of the wake (I didn't had a camera last year and this year only took pictures with the SuperSport). If I remember it correct, this is with no weight (perhaps 100lbs in the nose) and with 5 or 6 people in the boat.

Wake

(Message edited by Laptom on June 17, 2004)
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
The barefoot hull is a deeper v than the normal 2001. On Tommy's picture you can see chines on the v, which normal 2001's don't have.
They have a nice wake for barefooting, I haven't road behind a weighted one.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
That looks about the way I remember. If you sack it out, it will get bigger and even more vert. Back then, 3-stage rocker boards were just beginning to become available, but you didn't need one with that wake - it would buck the crap out of you regardless! Came out of the hole quick and handled well due to the direct drive. Good wakeboard boat!
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
Thats a pic of the barefoots wake right?? just checkin...
AND karl, wut do you mean chines on the v

AND I am thinking of puting one of those fat sac sofas in the bac and a nornmal fat sac way up in the front... sound good??
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
This is the wake of our '88 Barefoot 2001 as above.
I think we are riding at 70f and 23mph... The wake is even good at 75-80f, so even advanced riders can have fun.
One disadvantage is when riding below 20mph, the wake isn't clear of foam any more...

You don't need that much weight in the back (I think 600-700lbs is more then enough), remember, you've got a 454 in the boat that weights an extra 200lbs. But put enough weight in the front of the boat. I think (not tried myself) that 600 in the back and 400 in the front is ideal...
Post some pics of the boat!!! I hope that you don't have any fear of the heights .

Tommy
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
heres the pic I have of it now.... It is in really nice condition and the motor has low hours and it runs awesome.

Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
ok.. i guess teh picture didnt work.... check out my profile... I will put it in there.. thanks
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
that didnt work either
ho do u put a pic into a thread cuz hte pictutre was to big for my profile
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-21-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
I dont no why the piocture wont go in..... any sugestions
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
what is a 1988 CORRECT CRAFT MARTINIQUE i know of the 2001 but have not heard of this one and was wondering if it had the same hull as a barefoot or 2001 or if it is a good wakeboard boat most of all. from the ad i saw it look bigger but dont really know anything about it.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2004, 4:48 AM Reply   
The martinique has a lot more freeboard and is not really a tournament style boat. More of a cruiser type idealy suited to rougher water.
I have boarded behind one which was open bow and the wake was similar to the 2001 but a bit wider.
Possibly a good boat for use in coastal areas or if you need more room than the 2001 offers.
Old     (jmkshm)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-23-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
I have a 92 Nautique Excel, which is roughly the same thing. It is a great boat, and like people have said, you don't need to put much weight in it. I have two fat sacks beside the engine in the back, but I usually only have them 1/2 full. I also put about 400 lbs worth of concrete up front, and that makes a big difference. The wake on these boats is really nice, but as mentioned, there isn't much room for storing stuff, if you use the area in the engine compartment for fat sacks. It has a big gas tank that takes up the whole floor so there isn't a ski locker. I added a Monster Tower to it, and now there really isn't a way I could justify buying a newer boat that costs 3-6 times as much. Great boat for the money and you get a V-drive.