Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-16-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
I am heading down to Lake Placid and Dunlap this weekend and am in need of information from those of you native to these lakes. How are they on the weekends as far as traffic, chop, etc(yes, I realize it's the weekend)? Also, any areas to avoid due to stumps? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-16-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
http://www.lakehouses4sale.net/reale...esforsale.html

if you go to this website and hit the lake info blog tab and scroll down 3/4 the way there will be a map titled "interactive lake maps" that gives a breakdown of the shallow areas/stumps. The list is complete but gives you a great idea of where to avoid. I go out on Dunlap often and Saturday is better than Sunday usually, before 1pm at least after that its hit or miss. Lake Placid is a little more quiet but a little smaller.

A depth finder is very helpful for both lakes and staying towards the center, when able, will keep you safe most of the time. If you're going on Lake Dunlap I'll likely be out in my MC 205, hit me up if you want help or a guided tour. Nick 580 284 7854
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-16-2012, 10:50 PM Reply   
Lake placid has high traffic starting around 11:30 however if you stay up river you should be fine. Getting up there is easy but looks intimidating. Up river is north from where you put the boat in at IH10, there are two trees in the middle of the water stay left of those two trees, never go right of the trees. Always stay center or left/right center while up river and you will be good. Lake placid does not have a stump problem, all stumps are marked and are pretty much right next to the shoreline. I live out there on the water so if you want to get a quick tour and run of the lake let me know, I will be happy to jump in and show you the keys to the lake. It really is a great wakeboarding lake, a number of pros live out there. Most locals wakeboard in the morning from 8 to noon then head down to the damn, anchor up and float, then wakeboard again in the evening. South of the boat ramp is tube and jet ski central on the weekends.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-16-2012, 10:58 PM Reply   
Nick, I am assuming you did not get the place at Meadow Lake?
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-17-2012, 3:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskonn View Post
Nick, I am assuming you did not get the place at Meadow Lake?
Nope, the underwriters didn't like my debt/income ratio even though USAA said I'd be fine. I'm actually okay with the situation because the house would have given me no budget freedom. I'm now in a subdivision in NB that has lake access which is much cheaper and, truthfully, a much better first house (but it sure would have kicked a** to have instant water access...something to work towards).
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-17-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
Well that sucks but glad it worked out for you. Underwriters are insanely gun shy these days, it took forever to close on house on placid because the underwriter constantly asked for additional documents, evidence etc... What neighborhood did you end up at?
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-17-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
Nick, I have a couple questions for you as I have looked at this area to move to in the future.
Do you commute to work in Austin or SA?
How do you like living in NB or Seguin.
How are the schools? "If you have kids"?
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-17-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
Kevin-Rivertree on 46. I would have figured with a VA loan and preapproval I was golden but I guess not. Again I believe it was for the best.

Funky-I live in NB and work in Seguin (planned on living there...). I like NB because it has a lot of conveniences without bigger city issues. Having water access super close, SA/Austin within 30-50 mins is great, and not worrying about crime are things I like about NB. In the summer NB can be busy with tourists but with the "can ban" the volume has dropped a little but schlitterbahn still keeps the town populated. Seguin, as a whole, is a little more blue collar in nature and the town feels "old", not population just infrastructure/buildings. Either place will be cheap, have close access to water and major cities nearby.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-17-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Nick

Thanks for the info. I used to drive through Sequin a lot when I was much younger and knew nothing about what a boarders paradise it is. Now if I could just find a good job to allow me to get out of N Dallas. Again thanks for the info.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-17-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Funky Bunch, I live in Seguin and sale to most companies in the Austin/San Antonio area, what is your profession? I might be able to point you in the right direction down here.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-17-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
Kevin thanks.

I am Business Intelligence Manager. I architect data warehouses and manage the database developers mostly on the Microsoft Stack which is normally where I run into issues finding good jobs down that way as its normally oracle or sap down there. If you know of something PM me.