Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (guitartguy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2004, 8:43 PM Reply   
I'm new to the sport, but I'm getting it pretty quick. I recently tried over seven different bindings and bought the "Temets" because they were the most comfortable/supportive for my feet.
I realy like the bindings, but every once in a while when I take a spill, my right foot will come partially out of the binding and get stuck. When this happens it feels like I'm doing some damage to my ankle and it stays tender for the rest of the day. I don't want to injure myself but I want to advance my skills as quickly as possible.
Old    ambulophob            07-10-2004, 9:05 PM Reply   
well u can take glutamine pills or something to strengthen ur tendons..and i think jell-o has that in it too... u can also do excersizes to strengthen ur ankle and what not...but have u tried just tightening ur bindings?

ill get back to u when i get details...i dont have off the top of my head... kinda...no really tired
Old     (guitartguy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2004, 9:10 PM Reply   
Thanks John. I have been taking glutamine as well as glucosamine and anything else thats suppossed to help. It feels like the bindings are tight enough, but I'll try to tighten them more and see what happens. Other than running on sand can you think of any other exercises that will work ?
Old    ambulophob            07-10-2004, 9:36 PM Reply   
yeah well im a HS runner so i know a lot about this stuff...so im really happy u asked(i like talking bout running)

but yeah when u run on sand make sure u watch ur footing and u start off easy... and build up(just assuming u dont run on a regular basis) and dont be afraid to walk/run

i guess before u run or ride u can get ur ankle nice and loose by writing the ABCs in the air with both feet

as for excersizes...i guess running on sand will be very beneficial ...but u can strengthen the muscles around it

calves: do plyometric drills and stuff or if u dont know any u can go to a stair or a low bench or something stand on that with one foot and on that foot stand at the edge of the stair so only the ball of the foot is on the stair.. and push up like ur tippetoeing with one foot and go back down (slowly)...make sure u have something to hold on to like a railing do sets of 3 try 15 reps or so but dont strain and take about 30- 60 seconds rest in between... if u work out u prob know what im talking abuot (and if u dont lift it wont be a bad idea cause thatll def help ur wakeboarding...i know that it helped mine and the strength from running helped also)

ur shins: the muscle on the other side of ur leg from the calf ... if u have a shin splint they say u can pick up a pencil from the ground with ur toes ...but im sure u dont have one so u can get a small paint bucket or something that has the handle and put rocks or water into it as weight sit up on a table or something high up so ur feet arent on the ground put the handle on ur foot and ur pretty much doing curls with ur foot up and down ...dont make it too heavy at first u wanna be able to do atleast 3 sets of 8 reps without straining real hard

i know its a extremely sloppy post and very obscure
...ask me some specific questions and ill answer them more clearly

Old    ambulophob            07-10-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
found the perfect thing for u

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/supplements/ankle_plyometrics2.shtml
Old    ambulophob            07-10-2004, 9:43 PM Reply   
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plymo.htm

this kinda stuff will help ur wakeboarding also

u can also try wearing an ankle brace under ur bindings or something not too stiff but something thatll help protect ur ankle]

hope that stuff helps

Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-12-2004, 1:29 AM Reply   
Just broke my ankle on the 3rd of july,tuesday I go back for x-rays.They said if my bone does not move from the swelling going down they can just put in a cast, if it does move I will need pins and a plate.Any way I look at it I will need a cast for 6 weeks.