Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Well I have narrowed my search to these to boats. Both boats seem pretty comparable in my eyes for a new ride. These are it as there are no other mfg's are in my area except MC and Nautique.

I am setting up a couple test rides in about 2 weeks when I get back from my trip. Curious to see what peoples thoughts are between each boat. Looking for a good multipurpose boat. I am coming from a 2003 205v hull. It's one of my favorite wakes. I know both these boats will have a much different wake, but I am willing to sacrifice the wakeboard wake as I have pretty much stopped progressing and I am ok with that. I have basic inverts and spins. I want a better surf wake than the 205v as surfing has become more than 50% of the time on the water. I also want more useable storage space. We bought some lake property on a larger lake so will be cruising and skiing as well.

I am thinking the Moomba for these reasons, it's a bit deeper and has a deeper bow area. Little deeper v hull an the adjustable wake plate to change the riding angle and tweak the surf wake. The Axis seems to just be more stylish. Also I like the open air storage under the seat bases.

I dd see the thread with the new 2013 Moomba LSV. While I love all the new features I think this will help me negotiate in a 2012 and offer a better deal due to the changes on the 2013
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-08-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
2 nice and comparable boats in my opinion. The Axis probably has a better wakeboard wake but might only be noticable to a pro or a wake snob. I am not sure on surf wakes. I dont' think I have ever heard someone mention the moomba lsv as having a great surf wake but I am sure it can be pretty decent. Chatt says he has the surf wake on the axis dialed in pretty good. I think core construction quality, fit and finish, trim levels are probably pretty similar on both. Styling is definately mroe classic on the Moomba. I would expect the Moomba to be at least a couple grand less expensive then the Axis unless the Moomba has every option possible.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2012, 9:05 AM Reply   
The best thing you can do is demo both boats. If you have any questions as to how to weigh the axis for either wakeboarding or wake surfing, feel free to send me a PM. I have been very happy with the axis boats that I have around. Momo makes a very good boat as well. As another poster mentioned, there are significant differences in the styling of both boats.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
the moomba has much bigger rear compartments (more surf weight and storage)
we acutally store our board back there theres so much room. we never use the racks.
i would never go without an adjustable trim plate. even for simple things like eliminated porpusing while crossing the lake. plus being able to shape the wake, and surf wakes instantly is just golden. it can make a huge differnece in size and especially shape instantly.
<--'11 LSV owner
i was in the same boat. looking at the axis vs the moomba, actually had papers drawn on a A20, then saw the two side by side and the boat show and it was obvious which one was right for me.
on a side note the axis wake is much wider than the moomba or most any other boats ive ridden. the wedge on the axis would probly work well for surfing though.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
The A22 wake is not particularly wide at all. The A20 wake, like any 20 footer with a wider beam, does have a wider wake than a typical 21-22 ft boat.

I also like the open storage areas in my A22. They are super easy to keep clean, because they are not carpeted, and you can get things in and out of them (like flops, ropes, etc.) without having to make someone stand up to take the cushion off.

Cory is right, in that the wedge does a good job of helping with the surf wave. It also helps give the wakeboarding wake a nice lip.

Luckily, the A22 does not have a porpoising problem. I know my old 230's liked to porpoise, and the wakeplate did help keep the nose down.

When you demo the LSV and A22, bring someone with you and have them move around in the boat while you ride, so you can see how both boats react to slight changes in weight. It will give you an idea of the consistency of the wakes.

Some other things to look at/consider are: (1) which dealer do you like the best and has the best reputation; (2) which brand has better resale in your area; (3) compare the changes that were made from 2012 to 2013 on both boats, and how that will affect resale; (3) how sturdy are the towers; (4) how do the boats perform when weighted heavily; (5) which boat produces your favorite wake and wave; (6) which options are most important to you (wake plate or wedge, having plug in play so you can run piggy back bags without having to add pumps/hoses or not, the option to run a z5, a traditional bow or pickel fork, etc.); and (7) warranty (Axis is 1 year parts and labor + 1 year parts, while Moomba is only 1 year parts and labor - Cory, I know you had a ballast pump go out on your boat, is this correct?).
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-08-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
Moomba LSV has a very nice surf wake that's easy to set up and probably cleaner than the Axis. Wakeboard wake on the LSV, IMO, is not as firm or as much lip as the Axis. Axis has a wedge to make the wake long and rampy OR a little more steep with a lip. LSV wakeboard wake is very nice and just fine for 99% of us but IF you are a wake snob or just that good...the LSV wake could not compare to the Axis IF both boats were loaded up with ballast. Axis does not porpoise at all as Chatt has mentioned (do know about the LSV since i have limited time in both an '09 and '11 LSV). LSV does have longer rear storage (also translate to a bigger rear sunpad) than the Axis but you can have the same 1100lb sacs. Axis side to side is not as sensitive as the LSV but the LSV is not too bad at all that I recall. LSV has a more refined look inside to most people (more curves on the cushions and two tone vinyl). Rough water ride and rollers definitely goes to Axis and if the LSV has the standard tube tower it will shake/sway and/or make a little noise over time in chop or rollers. LSV bow is a little deeper but cant compare to the room (length and width) of the picklefork design. LSV has a little more storage space due to no bow sac. Axis tower is rock solid. As mentioned, demo both. Try them both with and without ballast (also with wedge down and up), drive them in rollers or choppy water, and bring a friend or two to test weight sensitivity if that's important to you. Both are good boats and I'm sure will suit your needs.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-08-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
Tige R20 or RZR
Old     (Diggertaker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-08-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Ive personally had an 07 LSV (same hull as current) & an 11 Axis A22. Everything above is pretty much correct. To me the deciding factor was weight sensitivity. The moomba would constantly wash on one side unless it was dead nuts even weight on both side. If you were under 21 mph it was even worse. This can present a problem if you have kids or noobs that want to try boarding. As far as the shape of the wake on the moomba it was great if it didnt wash. As for surfing the mobius threw a great wave but it sat really low in the front when weighted so it was very easy to take on water. Talking to a rider out the side of the windshield on the Axis is super handy. Not sure if the 12 Moomba has snapout carpet but mine didnt & I think its time all boats should come with snap out carpet. Heck, my 99 Rinker had snap out carpet. The tower on the axis was far superior at least to the 07 model I had. I think the perfect pass in the Moomba was a little better & if Im being honest the gelcoat on the Mobius was more "finished" than the Axis. All that aside they are both great boats but for me the Axis fits my needs a little better.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
over the years ive riden many moombas, nautiques, mastercraft, and malibu wake boats. all years and wake models. and the axis is the one boat me and my gf have to take 5' off our line to clear at our normal speed.
i think the axis also used the old school two live well pumps per bag? and pee out the side. the moomba used the reversable single pumps per bag, and is all done underwater.
i did have one of my pumps go out. it was mounted with the impeller above the motor, water leaked and shorted out the motor. all you have to do is flip the pump over. its a free and 5 minute fix. and maybe mine was just a fluke deal. i havent heard of anyone else having problems on there newer moombas. SC doenst make the pumps, they buy them.
i dont have any problems with washout on my LSV, i know the settings she likes and we never have anyone in the boat so i can set it up right every time. the ballast % digital readout really helps with this.
i can see how the wider and pickle for hull of the axis could make it less weight senstitive though. makes sence. its just not ever been an issue for me.
i also agree on the moomba having more refined gelcoat overall. especially on color breaks/changes.
and the moomba perfect pass seems to work better than the axis. i have there digital cruise pro which i think is standard now. official perfect pass was a $700 option if i recall.
my 03 tower did shake and make noise pretty bad. the '11 has better triangulation and is bigger tube. it doenst move at all or make noise.

i do like the open windsheild on the axis for texas heat and dock reaching and talking to rider.

definatly check out both see what you like and dont like about both. and compare cost and value. on average the axis from my personal experiences are about $8,000 more.

also the axis is considered "cool:" on the forums. the moomba probly will never be if this is important to you than its an easy choice.

we all love our brands. go out and see which boat YOU love. we wont be on it lol.

Last edited by stang_killa_ss; 08-09-2012 at 8:35 AM.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
you might read this. a good comparison and lots of heated discussion lol.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...XIS+EXPERIENCE
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
I have had zero issues with the speed control on my Axis. I actually like the old paddle wheel system so much better, because it doesn't have to be adjusted for current, and I ride on the TN river part of the time.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-09-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
I think this is a good comparison...... I really think they are the best two budget boats even though neither are a budget anymore!!!!!
I have heard great things about the axis, but have only sat in them. Not actually boated. I just think the Moomba interior blows the Axis away. Especially the 2013 LSV. Just my personal preference. I have surfed and wakeboarded behind the LSV and it will create a great surf and wakeboard wake. I am sure the Axis will as well and seeing Chatt's pictures I believe it. I just can't get over the Axis interiors.... I know they cheapen them on purpose so they don't compete with the Malibu. They really both seem to be great boats though, so take them both out and follow your own instincts..... In our area you can get a Moomba for less than a similarly equipped Axis, so I am sure that should weigh on you as well..... Good luck and we want pics.... The new 2013 Moomba looks even better!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
For the record, if we are comparing '13's now, Axis has switched to a different vinyl and the entire dash area has been reconfigured. There will also be a few special editions available, which will be sick.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-09-2012, 10:10 AM Reply   
I like what Diggs said. These are supposed to be the budget line boats and neither are budget priced anymore. Considering the economy, unemployment, and everything else boat prices are off the chain!!!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-06-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
You want to throw in a third. I dare you to compare a MB 21 Tomcat. Boat is SICK in so many ways. Quality is second to none. I had an AXIS and loved it, but I had service problems with local dealers which caused me to look elsewhere. This boat has an interior that rivals any Malibu or MC and the warranty is top notch.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-06-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
I really like the axis. Wakeboard wake is phenomenal. If you have an MB dealer nearby you should see that too. Another boat with a great wake.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-06-2012, 4:12 PM Reply   
I own an 07 Lsv and love it.
I've ridden the A22 at comps and the wake was outstanding!!!
I just don't like the lines of the Axis....too modern I guess.
The wake on the Lsv will/can be closer to the 205v.
The "cool" kids dont like Moombas true.......
I actually had a SAN 210 rider tell me he didint like many wakes other then his but said he would ride mine anytime invited....I was shocked!!!
Cant go wrong either way both great choices.

That Recon Axis is pretty legit though!!!!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-06-2012, 10:55 PM Reply   
I think a Mojo is a better comparison to an Axis then the LSV. And I like everything about the Mojo better then the LSV. Probably priced closer to an A22 as well.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       09-07-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
I've been a huge Axis fan since they were released in 09 and think they are great boats. But it seems they drift further and further from that "price point" they were going for and that is a let down. I like the upgraded vinyl in the 2013s but I think the new dash makes it look cheap and the steering wheel looks like it came off an old snapper lawn mower!
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       09-08-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
Why not look at the 2013 Axis? Like Chatt said, the vinyl feels/looks much better than 2012 and prior years. Here are the 2013 changes:
http://axisboatsinternational.com/ax...el_Change.html