Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-18-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
Hey Guys -

Need some advice on a STRONG hull cleaner. I used some hull cleaner today from West Marine that was biodegrable and definitely didn't do the job. I've used Star Brite Hull Cleaner in the past and tried a bit today and that didn't seem to be the ticket either.

I've got some decent rust on the underside from leaving the boat in the water for about 4 weeks in July. It's on there pretty good. I left the West Marine stuff on for a few minutes today and scrubbed it pretty good and it didn't even touch it.

Do you have any recommendations or brand that I should try? I've read toilet bowl cleaner works well. Any thoughts? What about a CLR type product?

Thanks fellas - trying to get her pearly white again before storage.
Old     (wakegirl22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-18-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
If you can find Sno-Bol toilet cleaner, it works wonders. We used to use it on boat hulls where I work until we could no longer buy it because retailers took it off the shelf.
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-18-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
muraic (sp) acid is the way to go just make sure you wear gloves. Most hardware stores sell it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-18-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
Whatever you use, don't let it sit on the trailer for any length of time. The stuff cleans off paint too.
Old     (wakegirl22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-18-2009, 5:10 PM Reply   
We now use Marykates On & Off Hull cleaner from jamestown distribution. Here is the link if interested:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2339&familyName=On-Off+Hull+and+Bottom+Cleaner
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-18-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
I personally wouldn't use Muriatic Acid, i've used it many times and it will eat through damn near anything to include concrete.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-18-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
x2 on the "On & Off Hull Cleaner" or Star Bright's hull cleaner.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-18-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
Razzman, if Muriatic acid (Hydrochloric) will eat through anything, then what do you keep it in?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-18-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I'll look for Sno-Bol and see what's what. Muratic acid scares me. I've got a painted trailer - I guess I could keep that very watered down.

Star Bright wasn't strong enough.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-18-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
Why not just try some Meguires #44 color restorer or even more aggressive Meguires #4 heavy cut cleaner. I had some rust spots on the fiberglass in the boat and they took it off when aectone wouldn't even take it of.
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-18-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
I use something called slimy grimy. I get it at Marine Max. You can get it online too. It works good for me.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-18-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
Figure of speech there Show. While not quite everything i sure wouldn't try it on gelcoat, even diluted.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-18-2009, 11:02 PM Reply   
I ended up using muriatic acid and water (50/50 mix) to get some stuff off my hull that we couldn't get off using any other method. Even my detailer was stumped. I mixed it in a bottle and then used a rag to apply it. I'd cover the top of the bottle with the rag and then turn the bottle over to wet the rag, but not enough for any drippage (it will eat paint and concrete if left standing). Then I applied it by hand just using enough to keep the surface moist. I would do a small section and then rinse it off really well.

I'd recommend using gloves. I didn't and there was no problem, but it just seems to make sense to do so.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-19-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
WARNING Always add acid to water. Never add water to acid doing so will result in ripping the hydrogen apart and violent reaction or explosion can result.

Muratic acid is good choice in removing rust and hard water deposits. Muratic acid is cheaper form of technical hydrochloric acid or hydrogen chloride. I work with this material alot and suggest using a paper mask so that you do not breath in the mist that is can make when reacting with the hard water deposits. Aways use gloves.

David William's application method is very good.

(Message edited by redsupralaunch on October 19, 2009)
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-19-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
So lets say I decide to use the Muratic Acid method and use Dave's idea. How the heck am I going to do LARGE portions on the bottom of the hull?

I'm thinking I may try to find some toilet bowl cleaner first and see if that works. The acid would probably work in some small areas but I have a relatively large area to do and the risk isn't worth the reward with the acid I don't believe.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-19-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
toilet bowl cleaner often has muriatic acid in it, at least the good one's do.

get a brush on a long handle too. you really need to scrub it in for best results. you don't want it dripping on you. keep the trailer wet with water.
Old     (dpolen)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-19-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
Get a spray bottle and just spray the stuff on...you'll be amazed at how much just rinses off when you hit it with a hose or even a quick wipe with a bug sponge. I used On-Off this year, best stuff I've ever tried and my boat sat in the lake all summer long. Boat looks great now.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-19-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
I use straight muratic acid. I use a garden sprayer - cheapie with no metal parts - with a extendable wand. Spray the hull while remaining upwind. Brush with a long handled brush (6-8 ft long). Rinse off. Reposition boat if necessary to stay upwind.

Do not let it set on either boat or trailer more than 3-4 minutes. Rinse liberally.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-19-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
I was amazed at how white my hull was after using On-off hull cleaner. Just painted it on with a small paint brush and rinsed it off. Covered my trailer with a tarp while I did it. No scrubbing at all. Put a good coat of wax on after that too.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-19-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
Picked up "The Works" toiler cleaner and a gallon of Muriatic Acid.

One way or another - that bitch is gonna be shiney tonight!

Will report back tomorrow.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-19-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
Jeff... we've been using "ZING" at our shop for years (its similar to muriatic acid and we've also used acid quite frequently) do a 50/50 mix of it in a spray bottle. spray it on... agitate it immediatly with a brush that has a handle and rinse immediatly with cold water and rinse the driveway or area you are cleaning the boat on too. NEVER had a problem, i've even used it on parts of the hull that have decals with no issues. The stuff works effortlessly....
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-19-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
oh... and do small areas, it goes quick cause it doesnt take much to get the gunk off with acid.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-20-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
Update:

"The Works" toilet bowl cleaner worked perfect. Removed the stains and hard water spots and all of my wax. Didnt even have to mess with the Muriatic Acid. It was safe on my trailer (even though I rinsed extremely liberally)..

I'd advise this as a "first try" for anyone thinking they might need to use Muriatic in the future. It's much safer but did the job I needed it to. Hull looks new again. Off to storage it goes!
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-21-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
I also use On and Off. It will remove just about any stain on the hull. On and Off is probably muratic acid or some other acid and it will eat through the paint on your trailer but your boat will look brand new when you are done.
Old     (j8159)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-21-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
I USE oxalic acid ONCE A YEAR I LEAVE BOAT IN WATER FOR UP TO THREE MONTHS 300g for one gallon leave for 30 min and wash of