Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (sunshine)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-24-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
I am interested in getting some lead bars or lead bags and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. If you know someone who is selling lead in Northern CA, or you want to sell some, please let me know. I would love some help.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-24-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
I think Pro Flight out of Modesto still has bars
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-24-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
Ultimate water sports in san jose has lead bars for sale
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-24-2005, 10:13 PM Reply   
Kami: Glad to see you are taking advantage of that brand new SAN wake! I bagged up old tire weights from from the local tire store. The lead was free, and the mini duffle-bags make it easy to move them around. Mine are 50 pounds each.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2005, 10:29 PM Reply   
Guys, check out what J-Rod said. We did the same thing, it works great. Also... Before you put the lead in the duffle bags make sure you get some dry sacks for hiking and seal it up. I put the lead in the dry sacs, then filled it with sand and sealed it up. It turned out great, about 70lbs per sac and its totally clean for your new boat. Try Altrec.com for the drysacs. I've also got some lead from Pro-Flight. It works great too, but the lead coating has started to come off from moving it around.

I'll be working the P-town boat show for the next two weekends. Stop by if you get a chance. Ski World/CIE booth. Good luck with the new boat. The pics look great.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-24-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
Boarders Paradise in Livermore sales lead bars.

For cheap though do what J-Rod said, or try this.

1.PVC pipe cut 1-1.5 feet.
2.Cap 1 end.
3.Fill with tire weights.
4.Cap other end
Now you can just hide in boat or try this

5.cut wood to your liking
6.strap PVC weights to wood
7.place in boat

This way it is out of the way and secure on something. Store in compartments, under console etc.

Hope this help.

I bought 300 lbs of tire weights for 20 buck at a tire shop in P-town.
Old     (sunshine)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-24-2005, 11:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll look into them.

J-Rod, Walt was telling me about your setup, I'd love to get some pictures, or talk to you about how you did it.

Evan- Thanks for the drysac tip, and I can't wait for you and J-Rod to come ride the SAN.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2005, 12:10 AM Reply   
Substitute tire weights for bullets from our local shooting range. Rod did that and his pvc pipes are dang heavy. You can top them off with sand and or water too.
Have Fun
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       01-25-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
i have 600lbs of "LeadFootz" . They have handles and weigh 50lbs each..the work well and are small.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-25-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
I went to a local gun range and NADA NOTHING ZERO,they didn't wanna give it up!!
Old    wakelvr            01-25-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
Kami,

We went to Pro Flight Towers in Modesto. We found out that a few of our local dealers buy directly from them and then jack up the price. Pro flight sold them to us at their cost which was really low compared to everywhere else we looked. We got coated lead bricks (some with handles) for pretty darn cheap. Good luck!

Stefani

http://www.proflighttowers.com/
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-25-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
The other option, too is to build wood boxes, fill them with lead and sand and then seal them up and carpet them. After thats done you can seal them with fiberglass resin and spray glue indoor/outdoor carpet onto them. That way it looks clean and wont move around. The drysacs that I have need to be stored under the front seats so they don't roll around. If you build boxes you can also put handles on them so they are easy to move.

By the way... Most tire shops have to pay to get rid of their lead weights, so they are getting a double bonus by selling them to you.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-25-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
As far as tire shops,tried that too but for some reason the shops would think we were doing something illegal with them so they were really weird about it.In 2 days I did collect about 100-120lbs worth of led,but the bagging it and this and that,so I said eF it and bought some pop production led...best thing since sliced bread!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-25-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Evan ~ good idea on the boxes.
Old     (sunshine)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-25-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
Peter, my offer on a pull stands but it's only good for another two years ! Stefani we miss you much and hope to see you & Ja soon. As for Big Ed & Ant Biggdie you dudes Need to come ride SAN soon and kick it "You know how we do it" and let me get a pull on that sickA$$ X-2 . Thanks to all for the good feedback !

Shawn E.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-25-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
I'm gonna hold you to it.

Yes you can definetily get a pull on my kick A$$ x-2.LOL

MAN I can wait for all the good times we are all gonna have!!!
Old    wakelvr            01-25-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
Shawn,

As soon as I am no longer knocked up, I will come ride in your nice sweet ride! Come summer....

Keep in touch and congrats on your SWEEEEEEET ride!

Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-25-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   

Shawn - Hey there is a place here in Healdsburg called Santa Rosa Lead Products 707-431-1477 give them a try to see if they can help ya out.

Mike
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
Batiff's salvage, on Santa Rosa Ave., might have some lead too, but they can be expensive.

Tire shops do not pay to get rid of lead. The "Junk Men" come by and pick it up. The reason batteries are worth so much is because of the lead.

Shawn and Kami, I would love a pull soon. I have not ridden in a long time. Let me know when you are riding sometime. I usually book myself at least a week out.
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-25-2005, 11:09 PM Reply   
that boat is sick! when do i get a ride? just kidding but it has been a long time since i have gotten to ride. anyways i hope that thing is getting a lot of use and hope to see it someday. and i hope you guys are doing well.

Derek
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
I loaded up on a few hundred pounds of lead I picked up for free at a local shooting range.

I called the shooting range manager and he was happy to get rid of some of the piles! He would have been happier if I had been able to take a few tons. I showed up a an hour before opening, he let me into the back and shoveled it straight into sand bags.

There was a lot of junk mixed in: copper casing, plastic wadding, paper, etc. but it was still pretty good.

I took one of the bags and melted it down using my coleman camp stove and a small cast iron skillet. The lead would melt and all the non-lead would float to the top where I could skim it off. Then I poured the lead into a mold that was actually a drywall mud tray. When I had finished I had a 60 pound bar.

So now I have one well shaped bar and about 6 bags of lead in the boat.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-28-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
i left buckets at all the local tire shops. they fill em up for me and i pick them up. if u want to get really tech you can screw some pieces of wood together to make a mold. then melt the lead down in a metal bucket(it helps to have a handle on the bucket) once its all melted u can poor it into the mold. after it dries unscrew the wood and u should have a nice lead bar.