Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-22-2012, 10:15 PM Reply   
I'm really interested in buying a used V-10 Touareg. I'm specifically looking at 06 and 04 models with over 100,000 miles. I'm just wondering if I should pull the trigger on one of these. My concern is reliability. Can anyone chime in with any problems they've had and how long do you think they will last before major problems. Greg how is your 08 Touareg doing? Nick what year is your V10 and how is it going; any issues?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-23-2012, 3:58 AM Reply   
German cars are very expensive to repair VW uses a lot of the same parts as BMW.Mercedes and Porche. If it has trouble expect to pay a premium to repair.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
I know they are expensive to fix but I have a 2004 lined up at at $16,000 with 110,000 miles on it. I'd love to have a diesel engine suv for towing.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-23-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
I looked at one and Edmunds had it ranked pretty low on the reliability marks. I can't stand problems so it was a definite no for me.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-23-2012, 6:35 AM Reply   
If anything goes wrong with that engine, it has to be pulled to be worked on $$$ With that being said, I would love to have one!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-23-2012, 6:39 AM Reply   
We looked real hard at them and although they are affordable - almost nothing but nightmare stories on the reliability end. Go to a VW forum and ask there. It's not pretty.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-23-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
Dont do it man donnnnnt do ittttt. Thats like owning a luxury car and they will JAM you up on every single thing that comes down the road!!! Short wheel base as well. Find an excursion that is diesel I forget what years those were made.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
Short wheel base definitely isn't an issue on the V10, the air suspension, weight and braking make it tow a wakeboat like a dream.

04 was the model year known to have the most problems. That's not to say all of them had problems. Definitely google Touareg forums and take a hard look. And if you are going for the '04 I'd look hard at the maintanence records on whatever vehicle you're looking at.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
Besides hear say does anyone have real life expierence with an 04?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-24-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
7 negative answers and you still want real experience advice. As others have said there forums with real owners to go to. What I read here only reinforces my first opinion. Maybe you read something different . I think you should buy the 04 and let us know how it goes?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            02-24-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
Dont worry...these guys on this site are soo against import vehicles & theres always negative comments from people who have zero experience with them but just here say stuff.

I would suggest from anyone who has questions about vehicles to join the actual car forums for pointers, advice (VW or touareg in ur case).
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       02-24-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
I have had 2 Passats over the last 6 years and seriously regret to have bought the 2nd one - had I taken the time to look at VW user forums etc. it would have saved me a lot of troubles over the last years. But I have to say that the first one didn't cause any issues (W8 Station wagon) - that car was fun. So left the VW community and bought a Ford Edge w/o paying attention to the towing capacity - so car is out after a year and now being replaced by a ML350 diesel. While searching for a diesel I looked at the new Touareg diesel as well b/c of similar towing capacity etc. Most people rave about the newer ones in regards of towing but quality issues seem to be there no matter what ... So do your research but don't be surprised about the maintenance and quality of the vehicle ...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-24-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
My only comment after owning luxury vehicles is if your not in the bumper to bumper warranty be very prepared for the dealer ship or repair facilities to charge you exorbitant amounts of money for any and all repairs. I own Toyotas and Hondas as of recent and not going back. So not afraid of imports. The VWs are treated this way hell its over 100 to have the light bulbs replaced on the bugs. Other than that the Touareg is a beautiful SUV and would love to own one but cant afford to buy new.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-24-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
The first generation Touaregs do indeed have a lot of problems, and 2004 is one of the worst years. It would be a great tow vehicle if it was reliable, but it will cost you a ton of money to keep it on the road. A very good friend had one and finally had to dump it because it was just too expensive to own out of warranty. As others have said, go to the VW forums and see for yourself, you will hear the same things.

I have read that the second generation Touareg are much better, I had considered buying one myself but couldn't find the right one. Of course with the 2nd gen you have the 6-cylinder diesel instead of the V-10. I have driven the Touareg with the 6-cylinder diesel and it is a great engine, it would tow a wakeboat very easily. Maintenance will still not be cheap but shouldn’t be the nightmare that the 1st generation will be.

Buy the lowest mileage 2nd gen you can find that has a CPO warranty. I would not own one out of warranty. Pay now or pay later. There is no free ride with luxury German vehicles, I know because I have owned several.

Last edited by Brett_B; 02-24-2012 at 9:16 AM.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feed back I'm going to hold off and keep looking for the perfect tow suv preferably a diesel.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2012, 9:25 AM Reply   
Michael I remember when everyone was telling me not to buy an MB because I would have no local dealer for maitenece issues. I decided to pull the trigger on it regardless and I could not of been happier.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-24-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
E
I'm glad it all worked out for you. Maybe someday I will get an MB dealer closer than 250 miles and I can check them out for myself. I know you have one of the best drive trains you can buy.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-25-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
We've had a 04 & 08 v8 Touareg now. Both have been great.

The current Touareg 08, has not had anything wrong at all. We even bought it out after the 4yr lease was done as it was that good.

For the v10 tri I would say get a 05 06 model yr. People had hit or miss on the 04 models.

Touareg will tow better than any 1/2 ton pickup when equipped with air ride.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-25-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
Www.vwvortex.com is a great resource for information
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Whatever you do make 100% sure the truck has had it's glow plugs replaced with the newer NON ceramic versions.

Father in law's had the older style, one broke, and sat in the combustion chamber for a while....

Needless to say the truck got a new motor, and because it was a technical safety bulletin VW didn't care much about footing the 30k repair bill. They eventually caved a bit but it was the principle!

Not to mention the engine had to be brought over from Germany.

Other than that, do NOT go cheap when maintaining this engine. Feed it the proper oil, coolant, etc. NO Pep boys oil changes!

When it runs right, it's an amazing truck, especially for stock, off road, with street tires, air suspension, and center diff lock.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2012, 7:30 AM Reply   
I have a friend who finally go rid of his VW Dealerships. His comment was that VW so "proud" of their vehicles that they would listen to no one, U.S. dealers included, about any issues they were having. I think the Toureg looks great and the interior is nice. When it first came out the auto rags praised the vehicle up and down. Luckily I was able to talk my wife out of one until they had a track record.

I've owned Mercedes, VW and BMW and I am done with German cars. Great driving machines but they are not all that great once the warranty is expired and who wants to take their car to the dealership ever other month even under warranty.

My Toyota experience with the Landcruiser was a shocker. The Toyota dealership would comment on the cost of repairs, it's a luxury/expensive vehicle that why its costs more. For a timing belt, for new plugs, for an oil change... I've also heard the same comment because its 4 wheel drive. What does that have to do with any repair not associated with the 4 wheel drive system. I just wanted to be treated fair.

I like MHunters advise, buy one and let us know how it goes. Good luck.