Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    alanp            08-24-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
a bunch of buddies and myself are flying into denver to snowboard in feb. we all bought tickets but we havent picked a mountain yet. looking at breck but open to suggestions. looking for a lively night scene, apres ski
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
Im old at 42, but can tell you what places pretty much suck for nightlife for a younger person.
Copper Mountain is horrible. Steamboat is awesome snow but after ski party stuff is limited. Keystone is more of a family scene. Breck has some great local hotspots, but the locals can be dicks and very uninviting. Vail has some great nightlife and the locals tend to be more friendly.
So after reading my own comments, I would say Vail is your best shot. I am born and raised here in CO and have spent many a day on the mountains. And in their bars. Oh, forgot about Aspen, Just say NO! The skiing is great, but not a good scene later. Super snobbish.
Wherever you go DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though they are very small towns, you will get caught and you will have the book tossed at you. Your vacation will be spent in jail.

Last edited by colorider; 08-24-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: mmore
Old    alanp            08-25-2010, 6:05 AM Reply   
thanks andy thats the kind of info we are looking for
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-25-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
x2 on the drinky drivey. Had many a buddy spend the night in the pokey for DUI. Vail is real fun and so is Breck. I have not experienced the unfriendly locals like andy mentioned in Breck so that is my main choice. I am a big fan of their strip of bars there.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-25-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
My vote would be for Steamboat Springs. Awesome mountain, and the bar scene was pretty happening when I lived there. You would just have to talk with some of the locals about what's happening on certain nights. Every night there is a bar that goes off. If you do make it to Steamboat, hit up Heavenly Daze Brewery. X3 on the drinking and driving. When I lived there, Route County was the DUI capital, per capita. I even had a buddy get a DUI on his mountain bike.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-25-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
I would say Breck, or Vail as well. Don't worry about the locals. They are usually just hippies anyway.

I never understood how you could get a DUI on a bike. You can't hurt anyone but yourself, plus you are not actually driving anything. Your riding it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-25-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Breck if Party > Mountain
Keystone if Mountain > Party

IMO of course. Just to throw this out there, as I went for years with groups of buddies, you're NOT going to go to a bar and find a bunch of chicks, likely no chicks at all, and if you do, they'll be at the last place you would have ever thought. There are bars at Keystone and the area around it, and they go off, you just have to find out which to hit that night.

I'd actually say stay in Silverthorne/Dillon, there's some places there and you're close to Keystone's bars. Then take a cab or have a DD one night and go to Breck, one night there and you'll likely be glad you only went one night, but it's worth it.

Of course Aspen will have some chicks, but hard to pick up
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-25-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Steamboat is a long ways from Denver. Fly in then drive 4 hours to the mountain..... I would give my vote to Breck. Lots of bars and breweries. Sure the locals can be dicks sometimes but that is the case at pretty much any resort town. The good thing about Breck is you can walk to all the bars and stuff if you are staying slope side. Steamboat you are going to have to catch a shuttle which kind of sucks. Another good thing about Breck is Dumb and Dumber was filmed there so that pretty much trumps anything Steamboat has to offer haha.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-26-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Sure the locals can be dicks sometimes but that is the case at pretty much any resort town.
...in Colorado.

Go to Canada or Utah. The locals are much friendlier and more appreciative of your money.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-26-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
I have been to Breck/Keystone....I like the night skiing at Keystone.
I have been to Vail.........................My favorite so far.
I have been to Steamboat Springs...Nowhere near Denver. I liked it.
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-26-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
I would ride at Keystone and party in Breck...they are super close to eachother and have free shuttles that go back and forth. Keystone has a lot better Park than Breck... You can ride Breck or Keystone with the same pass...Definitely hit up Vail for a good back country experience in their HUGE bowls. GL and have fun!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
I personally think Breck has the better parks. They brought back Gold King park last year which they hadn't built in like 3-5 years. That gave you 4 parks to choose from. There was a great progression from beginner up to pro level. Keystone basically has Freda's Incubator and A51. I will give Keystone the edge for the park lift if all you want to do is lap the park all day.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
I lived in Denver, Boulder, Vail, and Breck.

Breck is a really fun party scene, depending on your age and if you want to hang out with the local Trustifarians.

Vail has the best bar scene for visitors.