Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    davec            03-26-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
Might be a dumb question but where do you find lead?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
David, I got mine at a local metal shop. You can buy blocks in different weights, everything from 25lbs on up. I think I paid about $.35/lb
Old     (geoff_l)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-26-2003, 10:13 AM Reply   
We got ours at various tire shops. We just asked for the old, discarded tire weights. They gave them to us for free and after visiting several shops we ended up with about 300lbs.

We then placed the weights in plastic containers, added sand (to fill in the gaps), placed on the lid and wrapped them in duct tape. They are about 50lbs each.
Old    swpmwinc            03-26-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
Lead bars can be dangerous if you cant mount them down We went to the local gun and ammo store and bought lead shot and had my wife make bags out of water proof canvas and filled them with shot now u have bags that can get stuffed out of the way
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       03-26-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
I went to a skeet shooting range near here.
Bought lead shot used for Loading shotgun
shells. Came in neat little 25# bags.
Cost .50/lb
The cloth bags have started to deteriate.
I'm planning to stick them inside heavyduty ziploc storage bags and wrap them in duct tape.
Old    swpmwinc            03-26-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
Sandy dont wrap the bags to tight you want them to be able to take on there own shapeI allready made that mistake with the first go around with the shot We also found out that ther are really nice bags pre done from motion picture supply houses
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-26-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
Geoff, that's brilliant! Leadheadz is making a killing. I need something to move around and have a little extra hidden and don't want to pay $1.00/lb.

I like the other ideas as well. Do the lead bars or gun shot rust at all?
Old    swpmwinc            03-26-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
Lead does not rust But it is known to the state of cal. to cause cancer that is if you read the labels that were all over the bags of shot
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-26-2003, 11:26 PM Reply   
My friend got 55 gallon barrels full of lead shot for free from a shooting range. They were more than happy to let him take all he wanted. Then he put gloves on and put the lead into plastic pipe capped on both ends. Seems to work really well and as long as the glue holds I would not consider it a hazard.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-27-2003, 6:16 AM Reply   
Thanks Sean, that is good to know.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       03-27-2003, 6:41 AM Reply   
Ok.. I have to know. How the "f" do you move
a 55 gallon drum of lead shot?
I have half a 5 gal bucket in the garage and it takes a two wheel dolly to move it!
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-27-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
i went to various tire shops and bought about 200lbs of tire weights for about $45 (also recieved some free hand-outs)...melted them down over a butane cooker in heavy duty 8" x 8" baking pans scrapped all the metal of the top while it was still hot and let them cool. The pans i made were about 50lbs each...i wrapped them in plastic so the pans wouldnt rust and put them in boat. they work great.